Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue

Mindful Monday: Get Lost During Lent

posted by Beyond Blue

Altar_in_the_wo-210-exp.jpgIn her new paperback, “An Altar in the World,” bestselling author Barbara Brown Taylor writes:

Popular religion focuses so hard on spiritual success that most of us do not know the first thing about the spiritual fruits of failure. When we fall ill, lose our jobs, wreck our marriages, or alienate our children, most of us are left alone to pick up the pieces. Even those of us who are ministered to by brave friends can find it hard to shake the shame of getting lost in our lives. And yet if someone asked us to pinpoint the times in our lives that changed us for the better, a lot of those times would be wilderness times.

Taylor eloquently describes periods in her life where she has lost her way: she set out to be married and ended up divorced, to live in New England and wound up in Georgia, and to preach to a congregation and care for their souls as a parish priest, but is a professor at Columbia Theological Seminary. And yet all of those detours bestowed generous gifts that she would have missed had the line between A and B been straight.
I have been practicing getting lost this Lent. map 2.jpg
On the road, I need no assistance, even with a GPS system. But in my work life, I did away with all the evaluations telling me what and how to write: the blog traffic reports that highlight which topics are more popular and the book reviews (and Amazon ranking status) educating me on how Beyond Blue is doing compared to the other books in the mental health market. I decided that for 40 days I didn’t want to know how my blog and book were doing and would rather wander aimlessly.
I didn’t stumble onto this Lenten resolution without some considerable pain, of course, just as I doubt you’d pull over your happy Honda on the way to work to ask a gas station attendant for the best way to get lost. No, one morning I was reading a meditation from Henri Nouwen’s “The Inner Voice of Love,” in which he writes:

When you get exhausted, frustrated, overwhelmed, or run down, your body is saying that you are doing things that are none of your business. God does not require of you what is beyond your ability, what leads you away from God, or what makes you depressed or sad. God wants you to live for others and to live that presence well. Doing so might include suffering, fatigue, and even moments of great physical and emotional pain, but none of this must ever pull you away from your deepest self and God.

I felt all of those things–exhausted, frustrated, overwhelmed, run down, and depressed–so I decided Lent is as good a time as any to ditch the map and venture toward virgin territory … to turn off the iPod blaring in my ears and try to better hear the voice of God in my life.

Taylor writes:

When the safety net has split, when the resources are gone, when the way ahead is not clear, the sudden exposure can be both frightening and revealing. We spend so much of our time protecting ourselves from this exposure that a weird kind of relief can result when we fail. To lie flat on the ground with the breath knocked out of you is to find a solid resting place. This is as low as you can go. You told yourself you would die if it ever came to this, but here you are. You cannot help yourself and yet you live.

Many of us depressives know that feeling all too well. Some experience the sensation almost regularly. It’s like our safety net is permanently split, so that we have to pacify the anxiety of being vulnerable–our insides hanging there exposed–on a continual basis … thus, the support groups, therapy, exercise, and so on. We know all too well how it feels to lie on the ground with the breath knocked out of us–quite literally in a panic attack–so we grab the paper bag and practice deep breathing until we reach a point of composure.
And yet there is so much wisdom in those moments. Like now, when I try to quiet all the static around me wanting to dictate what I do and how I do it and in how many minutes.
Why would you force yourself into the wilderness if you could hang out in your comfy sedan with your GPS loaded and ready to tell you how to get to your next destination? I suspect Taylor would say that you simply hear better in the desert. Because suddenly everything but the dog and the telephone become unimportant. She explains: “The telephone because it may allow you to call someone who loves you enough to come find you, and the dog to keep you company while you wait.”
For those control freaks among us … who rarely venture more than two miles from their homes because most trees look the same and roads are always changing names … practicing getting lost is a way to, according to Taylor, “gradually build the muscle necessary for radical trust,” and a good system to enforce priorities that we might not be able to do in any other way.

Excelsior

posted March 12, 2012 at 8:34 am

Lost??? You are exactly where you are supposed to be, on the road or off it. You make and define your own Reality. Lost but making great time.

Janet Ohlsen

posted March 12, 2012 at 8:58 am

Threse,

The Lent piece was so insightful. I am beginning to learn to accept that Spirituality and God (of our choosing HP) is out there, and gosh darn it! He makes sense! We makes things so hard on ourselves. Hmmmm Lent, This former Stubborn Lutheran is going to take notice.

Thhank you hop you are well,

Janet

Katie W

posted March 12, 2012 at 2:01 pm

This is one of my FAVORITE books! Read it everyone!

Jim

posted March 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm

HELP PLEASE

I was reading a post of Rick Howes interviewing Therese Borchard about the role of Spirituality in her path to recovery.

I lost it and cannot find it. I used Search about six times but to no avail.

I realize this is not the format for Q $ A
but I am stuck. Jim Connelly, Avalon, N.J.

Nancy

posted March 13, 2012 at 8:51 am

Tammy Perlmutter

posted March 13, 2012 at 8:57 am

I desperately needed to read this today. Thank you.

Margaret

posted March 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm

YES, we must quiet ourselves and the ‘stuff’ around us, so that we can hear His voice.

Anne

posted March 13, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Very cool and lots of wisdom here. this book sounds very good. I know the feeling of radical vulnerability… now I’d like to tray radical trust. God is good, all of the time and through every up and down we take. He’s the rock and always will be.

Anne S.

posted March 14, 2012 at 8:49 am

Thanks as always for bringing two wonderful resources to my attention. As I was reading your post, I could feel your words seeping into my heart and soul. Thank you for a nourishing meal!

Mary

posted March 14, 2012 at 11:34 am

Thanks, Therese, for this beautiful, challenging post. I am frequently lost–literally and figuratively–and I have come to appreciate the side roads. And the letting go that comes with failure, and loss.

But stepping off the path on purpose? Breathtakingly brave.

Blessings on your journey.

Catherine Koss

posted March 14, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Your article on getting lost during Lent was perfect! Thank you so much for always sharing your own pain with others. You are a very generous person! May God continue to Bless you with His Wisdom and Humility :)