Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue

On Remembering the Important Stuff

posted by Beyond Blue

I am republishing this piece from my archives today because a coworker just lost his son in a car accident last night. Please keep him in your prayers.

little_girl_praying2.jpg

Two boys went to bed with fevers last night. One is dead. The other is my David.

I have to wonder if the guardian angels are vacationing in Florida this month, because too many little guys have fallen asleep for good in this zip code.

In Katherine’s preschool class, a little boy lost his three-month-old brother to SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). No explanation. Cooing one minute. Gone another. And at her playgroup this morning a mom couldn’t stop crying.

“Sorry,” she apologized to the group. “My daughter’s seven-year-old classmate and friend died last night. He went to bed with a fever and had no pulse in the morning.”

“Wait a minute,” I wanted to say. “This isn’t Iraq or Afghanistan. Healthy American kids don’t go to sleep alive and wake up dead. Not in Annapolis. Not unless they’ve been diagnosed with a terminal illness. And those are so, so rare. They almost never happen.”

As I looked at this mom’s tearful eyes, I held David’s flushed hand (he still had his fever), and I felt like a weasel for griping to myself the entire drive to the playgroup about how impossible it was to meet a writing deadline when I had a sick kid to take care of. I couldn’t do it, not without staying up past midnight, and I had already gone over my quota for the week. (If I stay up more than three nights in a week, I’ll trigger a manic episode and then crash into a bad depression. I can’t afford to do that now that I am writing this blog about how I try to stay sane.)

But my crammed schedule and impending late night seemed like a fabulous party compared to this friend of a friend’s tragedy.

I took my sick boy home and did something I never do…put my computer to sleep so I couldn’t see the new e-mails streaming in.

“What do you want to do?” I asked David. “We have two hours until we have to pick up your sister.” I walked over to the eight pieces of blue construction paper, an “ocean” that his babysitter had posted on the kitchen wall to house all the sea creatures he had colored and cut out at school. “Should we add more seahorses or octopuses?”

And I remembered what Gayle Boss wrote in her essay “Enduring Boredom” for my book, “I Love Being a Mom” (compiled back when my Prozac was working):

Domestic tedium, like any desert, has tuned my eyes and ears to the subtle, the hidden, to the still, small voice that directs from within: See this child in the tub, flushed and reaching for you? This is the Presence in the present. This is holy ground, and it is more than enough. Be here.

abercrombie

posted September 13, 2011 at 2:10 am

Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/beyondblue/2011/09/on-remembering-the-important-s.html#ixzz1XoIg6GSo

fitch

posted September 13, 2011 at 2:11 am

moncler

posted September 13, 2011 at 2:12 am

Pam

posted September 13, 2011 at 3:23 am

Your coworker is in my thoughts and my prayers. When the tears flow and you feel overwhelming sadness for someone you’ll probably never meet, you realize that on some level we are all conected. Your pain is my pain. My pain is yours. To lose a child must be the worst pain imaginable. Bless you.

AnneS

posted September 13, 2011 at 8:37 am

Boss’ quote is quite literally stunning. Thank you!

Margaret

posted September 13, 2011 at 11:37 am

PRAYING

Asking the Holy Spirit to give all of you and extra measure of His Comfort.

Christina W

posted September 13, 2011 at 11:53 am

Once again, thank you..your posts, for me, are always timely….

barb

posted September 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm

i am so sorry for your coworker’s loss. there are never words to comfort this kind of loss. i will keep you and him in my prayers. thank you for posting, even when you didn’t have to therese.

dsquared2

posted September 14, 2011 at 3:51 am

thank for sharing.I enjoy it.waiting for next post.

abercrombie

posted September 14, 2011 at 8:42 pm

lin lei shi si gou yi yang

Abercrombie And Fitch United Kingdom

posted October 11, 2011 at 5:58 am

Abercrombie&Fitch Womens are fashion in recent years. It is favored by many women for its unique design. On our site, you will see many different styles and colors. We hope to make your buying experience a great one! If you are interested in our Abercrombie&Fitch products,please feel free to contact us,we will give you our best service.We are looking for long time business relationship,and your satisfaction for abercrombie fitch hats is our aim.