Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue

Japan: Where Is God?

posted by Beyond Blue

japan earthquake, ABC.jpgAs of yesterday morning, the official death toll from Japan’s 9.0-magnitude earthquake and killer tsunami has passed 2400.

I’m not sure what more to say than this: the families mourning the 2,414 people who have been confirmed dead, the families of the 3,118 missing, and everyone who is related to the 1,885 injured certainly need our prayers.

Tragedies such as this always prompt the question: Where is God? Why does this happen?

And luckily for me, I still keep in touch with a brilliant professor, Joe Incandela, who used to teach the class “Faith Meets Philosophy” back when I was a religious studies major at Saint Mary’s College in Notre Dame. I contacted him after Virginia Tech, and then after Haiti’s earthquake in January of last year. And because I can be really dense at times, had to ask him for like the 20th time yesterday why bad things happen to good people.

I know that God is all powerful and all loving and all knowing, and so I always forget the part that allows for disasters like these to happen. Dr. Incandela he sets me straight, or at least straighter.

I know that I am going to totally butcher his logic if I try to paraphrase what he told me, so I’ll just let you read his explanation, word for word:

There are a couple options:

1) There is no God.

2) There is a God, but God is malevolent and all-powerful, and gets kicks from watching things like tsunamis kill innocent people.

3) There is a God, but that God, while good, is not all powerful, and so is immensely saddened from watching things like tsunamis kill innocent people.

4) There is a God, all-powerful, loving God whose creation inevitably allows evil to happen.

If #4, we naturally strain and struggle to find a reason why evil (in this case, natural evil) happens. That’s on the one hand natural, but on the other potentially problematic. What we DON’T want to do in looking for a reason is to somehow justify (from God’s perspective) what happened. At that point, we’ve now made the problem go away by turning the evil into a good. That is, the difficulty is to let tragic things be tragic (namely, things for which no reason is a sufficient explanation). So, I think the most that can be attempted is to grasp why, IN GENERAL, things like this would happen.

One way to think about this is in terms of a finite world. Finitude inevitably accompanies creation. Only God is infinite, and so anything that God creates (since it comes into existence, depends on God, etc.) will be finite. Finite things inevitably come into conflict with other finite things. Lions need prey to survive, germs are killed by good guys in my body (sometimes), etc. The conflict in this case is a very real one of two plates rubbing against each other due to pressure.

The other way to think about things like this, in general, is that were God constantly intervening in the natural order (to prevent things like damage done when plates rub against each other), then really no good deeds would be possible. Many times, our advance as moral beings is contingent upon overcoming some obstacle, fighting the friction of human finitude and the suffering it causes others and ourselves. If all of those obstacles just went away in a great cosmic poof, then we’d be doing the equivalent of trying to propel ourselves forward on a frictionless surface. Can’t be done. If the forward movement has value, then the friction is necessary.

We’ve had these conversations before on Beyond Blue, especially back in the day when Larry Parker was always offering some kind of philosophical comment to my posts (We miss you, Larry!).

Professor Incandela’s explanation does help me to better wrap my brain around colossal catastophes, in a sense, or at least to not let them interfere with my faith in a loving God.

But, again, the only real intelligent thing I have to say is just that Japan needs our prayers.

dovetail

posted March 16, 2011 at 9:11 am

I am saddened by this horrible loss, and lived three anxious days waiting to hear the voice of a very dear friend in Hawaii saying all was well on her elevated coastline… it was … wave-tossed, but safe.
If we back up a bit to pre-human existence, plates shifting, volcanoes erupting, tsunamis ensuing, floods, fires, tornadoes and all manor of natural events we humans term “disasters” occurred. Those events constituted part of the natural order of a planet in flux.
Such events continue to occur, not as geographic catastrophes, merely as groanings of the planet. The addition of the human element defines them as tragic, horrific events, the loss of life and injury to persons affected in their wake.
Because creation is always changing, such events will continue to occur. The God that holds the universe in the palm of His/Her hand does not intend for these events to occur and destroy; they merely ARE. If no humans lived on the many, sadly, flat-land islands we call Japan, a tsunami would arouse interest and awe, but we would go about our lives. God allows us freedom of will, choosing to live, work, rest and play where and how we wish, developing the Earth. God extends free choice. We abut against a nature with the same freedom. Can God intervene? God could change the flow of events and alter history, if God were a dictatorial God. Since we are made in the image and likeness of that God, from the soul’s view, it is counter to our nature and to God’s to step-in and remove free will, either for humans or for plates, volcanoes, floods, etc.
So I will ask the question again: can God intervene? Yes, in the thousands of lives that will suit up and show up to pray, work, treat, comfort, counsel and otherwise help heal the fracture in humanity the tsunami caused. We are the intervention of God.

Larry Parker

posted March 16, 2011 at 9:22 am

I’m glad my words can add to a renowned theologian’s to add some perspective at such a time of “awful grace.” And I stand by all of them, even in the wake of earthquake, tsunami and nuclear meltdown.
I would ask everyone’s prayers generally for the people of Japan, especially the passed and their families, and to also spare a thought for Ana’s ex-husband’s family (i.e., my stepsons’ direct relatives), many of whom are in northeastern Japan at a U.S. military base. They survived and are safe — making them so much luckier and blessed than the dead, I want to emphasize for those who have lost loved ones — but there is still a lot of suffering among the living as well, with the lack of power and adequate shelter in an area still in the grips of winter.

Lynn Dover

posted March 16, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I’ve thought about the question of evil a bit. So I read this post with interest. My question is how are options 3 and 4 different?
If God were all-powerful, how could anything be inevitable? Wouldn’t the very definition of all-powerful mean that nothing is inevitable?

Shelly

posted March 16, 2011 at 7:37 pm

?”Not too long ago in Heaven there was a little soul who took wonder in observing the world. He especially enjoyed the love he saw there and often expressed this joy with God. One day, however, the little soul was sad for on this day he saw… suffering in the world. He approached God and sadly asked, “Why do bad things happen; why is there suffering in the world?” God paused for a moment and replied. “Little soul, do not be sad, for the suffering you see, unlocks the love in people’s hearts.” The little soul was confused. “What do you mean?” he asked. God replied, “Have you not noticed the goodness and love that is the offspring of that suffering? Look at how people come together, drop their differences and show their love and compassion for those who suffer. All their other motivations disappear and they become motivated by love alone.”
The little soul began to understand and listened attentively as God continued, “The suffering soul unlocks the love in people’s hearts, much like the sun and the rain unlock the flowers within the seed. I created everyone with endless love in their heart, but unfortunately most people keep it locked up and hardly share it with anyone. They are afraid to let their love shine freely, because they are afraid of being hurt. But a suffering soul unlocks that love. I tell you this …it is the greatest miracle of all. Many souls have bravely chosen to go into the world and suffer …to unlock this love…to create this miracle…for the good of all humanity.”
Just then the little soul got a wonderful idea and could hardly contain himself. With his wings fluttering, bouncing up and down, the little soul excitedly replied, “I am brave, let me go! I would like to go into the world and suffer so that I can unlock the goodness and love in people’s hearts! I want to create that Miracle!”
God smiled and said, “You are a brave soul I know, and thus I will grant your request. But even though you are very brave, you will not be able to do this alone. I have known since the beginning of time that you would ask for this and so I have carefully selected many souls to take care of you on your journey. Those souls will help you create your Miracle; however, they will also share in your suffering. Two of these souls are most special and will care for you, help you and suffer along with you, far beyond the others. They have already chosen a name for you.”
God and the brave little soul shared a smile, and then embraced. In parting, God said, “Do not forget little soul that I will be with you always. Although you have agreed to bear the pain, you will do so through my strength. And if the time should come when you feel you have suffered enough, just say the word, think the thought, and you will be healed.”
Thus, at that moment the brave little soul was born into the world, and through his suffering and God’s strength, he unlocked the goodness and love in people’s hearts. For so many people dropped their differences and came together to show their love. Priorities became properly aligned. People gave from their hearts. Those that were always too busy found time. Many began new spiritual journeys…some regained lost faith…many came back to God. Parents hugged their children tighter. Friends and family grew closer. Old friends got together and new friendships were made. Distant family reunited, and every family spent more time together. Everyone prayed. Peace and love reigned. Lives changed forever. It was good. The world was a better place.
The Miracle had happened. God was pleased.

AnnMarie Cunniff

posted March 16, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I was happy to see the post by Shelly. She seems to understand that God never told us life would be easy and that things like this would not happen. The only assurance he gave us was that the world would never again be destroyed by water.
I talked to my minister and asked him, when this happened, if God did this; his answer was yes! The story that Shelly shares above should give you all an idea what he was talking about.
It is an act of God for others to remember how fleeting life is, and how we may not exist in the next moment and it gives us all a chance to examine our faith and choose where we want to be when it is our time.
The people of Japan are acting like the young boy in the above story, we should be also.
I thank God for the survivors and hope that this act of God helps others to search their soul for the faith we need to exist as God continues to put these challenges in front of us. We should all take a lesson from this young boy, he understands that these are the things that bring people together.
God is reminding us to remember that he is coming again.

jordan

posted March 16, 2011 at 11:59 pm

the four options, and the comments, all presume a dualistic view of God. I suggest a fifth option. God is both you and not you (paradox).
this doesn’t explain why sad events occur, but suggests that if you see God as “the all” and view it holgoraphically (each part is the whole) then it removes this parental viewpoint and ideas about being punished or needing a lesson… or if there is a punishment or lesson at play, we invite it upon ourselves as a chance to learn… but of course we cannot know this… and that’s perhaps the point.
and a sixth version… the universe is infinite so there is another version of reality where the tsunami is in NYC and a Japanese person is writing this about the American disaster.
and a seventh version… life is just a dream.
and an eighth version… God is not at the start, but at the end – the universe becomes self aware in what we call future and is working itself backwards.
my point in all this is that we don’t know. anyone who claims to know is most likely under a delusion… and in fact it probably is beyond thought – thus cannot be expressed…. thus there are no reasons and/or all reasons are true.

Derek C. Nordbye

posted March 17, 2011 at 9:39 am

There IS an all powerful, all knowing and all caring God in Heaven; that is not in dispute here! What seems to be in dispute is whether or not He cares. Well, contrary to “popular ‘opinion’”, He does. However, He’s ALLOWING us to see the error of doing things our way, instead of His! That can be found in the Holy Writ; the Bible!! Jesus, Himself, pointed out that in the last days, there will be “… wars and rumors of wars, and earthquakes in diverse places…” I say that to say this: PEOPLE, we need to WAKE UP!! For the hour of our redemption draweth nigh!! So, yes, we should pray for the nation of Japan and for our brothers and sisters in Christ there. But, we also need to be about the Father’s business! AMEN!!

PatrickInNC

posted March 17, 2011 at 10:08 am

What Japan does not need is our judgement, or our jokes. I’m looking at you, Glenn Beck and Gilbert Gottfried.

Marge

posted March 17, 2011 at 2:47 pm

My reply to Shelley is this….we’re not healed until God thinks we’ve had enough, then, sometimes, we aren’t healed until we are with Him ih heaven!

Bill

posted March 18, 2011 at 10:31 am

I once read , and i believe it was said by The Blessed Mother, That if we Knew the value of pain we would steal it. This all pertains of course to each of us Carring our own Cross.

Donna

posted March 18, 2011 at 10:33 am

This is trivalizing and utter garbage…What faith says, there is…and there isn’t. Shame on you for propagizing this idiot!!

Teresa Rice

posted March 18, 2011 at 10:34 am

God is where he has always been. Satan is the God of this world we live in. We as Americans lost over 4,000 people in the so called 911 attacks. Things have gone on since the beginning of time. We as people have no control over these things we still have to remain prayerful and trust in Jesus.He is the way the truth and the light. No man come unto the father accept through the son.

Lira

posted March 18, 2011 at 10:44 am

We are merely human beings, or simply as some would say “in the flesh” to be able to understand God’s magnificent wisdom and ways. Our humanity makes us vulnerable to many things that may happen in this world such as earthquakes and tsunamis. To try to find an explanation or to try to make sense of what happens, would be just and unterminable laberynth. Nevertheless, of one thing we can be sure of is that God is always there to give us a hand. His word speaks of his grace and salvation offered to all mankind. If we all accept Jesus, then nothing else matters in this world. Death could be knocking right at your door, but with Jesus all things make sense. He taught that his kingdom is not from this world, and therefore, death is only a step back to heaven- to where He is. God taught manking that life in this world will have many sufferings and trials due to Adam and Eve’s original sin. The world has a prince and his name is Satan who will always bring evil in many ways. God never said that we will walk alone. That is, in case of pain and suffering, He will hear our cries and come in our rescue. The real question is Have I received Jesus and all his teachings to be prepared for any ills from this world? Let us all hope that we have.

Artie

posted March 18, 2011 at 11:08 am

You folks out there can believe whatever you want to. That, of course is your right and priviledge, at least, in this “free” country. However, I’m strongly leaning towards the first proposition that perhaps and most likely “There is no God.” At least, not in the sense that God is some all-knowing beneolent human-like spirit with a flowing beard dressed in a long white robe. Common sense (an extremely uncommon commodity these days) tells you that it makes no more sense to believe in this kind of God than his arch rival Satan with horns on his head. It is even more absurd to believe that this “higher power” or cosmic force had a son! Sure, believe in the goodness of the teachings of Jesus, if you like, but as the “Son of God,” …I really don’t think so. I believe this higher power or force guides our universe, is neither inherently good nor evil. In this day and age of science and knowledge, I truly believe that many of you folks out there are being continually disappointed in your lives and the powers of prayer since you continue to base your faith largely on absurdly incredible stories, fables and “fairy tales.”

steve

posted March 18, 2011 at 11:09 am

I just want to know why does God get blamed for every thing what about satin, all good comes from god all bad comes from him this is what the bible saids. You never hear someone say look what the satin done, this is so the way of the world. thank you

maryann moon

posted March 18, 2011 at 11:10 am

Dear Theresa, I will add something to this, although I am not brilliant such as is your friend, Dr. Incandela. God is a God of LOVE BEYOND THAT WHICH WE CAN UNDERSTAND, it is eternal and it
is compassionate and it is forgiving and of Holiness. Holiness or Sanctity is not a term we can easily find
words for here. The only way I can think of Holiness is this;; IT IS OF A LOVE THAT HOLDS AN ABSOLUTE
PURITY OF INTENT. Heaven is an absolute STATE OF MIND not a relative world such as we live in where
there there is an opposite to everything. Here where there is Kindness there is also malevolence. Where
there is Love there is also profound animosity, and where there is joy there is catastrophe. I read
a wonderful message called HeavenLetters every day and that would, to me, be the best way to get
the incredible feeling one gets reading GOD’S Letters to Mankind every day. THE kingdom of Heaven
IS a memory that resides at the soul of each one of us, but it is not easy to remember. And that tis
because before we came here we ddi Agree to forget our Magnificence.

Rob Taylor

posted March 18, 2011 at 11:20 am

When I see that question regarding these events I always am reminded that so much of what the Bible says has been distorted and messed with (most of the time by well meaning Pastors/Priests/Teachers etc…), however the simplicity of what the Bible displays is still there for any to see.
There is The loving God that everyone wants to have, he gave dominion to man and Adam gave that dominion to the serpent (satan) so having given it away the earth became subject to his dominion…it was never designed to be under his control. It was designed to have mankind in charge with no evil, no death, no darkness in the spiritual sense.
So the earth has been subject for some time to his (satans) dominion, however there was an individual who came as man but whose Father was THE Father (God), Jesus operated in perfect synergy with the Father, never stepping out of the Fathers will for him and so displayed to us how things can be when we do the same. He effectively did not allow himself to come under the dominion of the one who tricked it away from Adam. He also showed that by dying in our place whilst having done nothing deserving of that death that he was willing to pay the price for Adams (and therefore our sin (which btw is actually just anything that’s in disobedience to the Fathers instruction, not a huge list of actions – it’s about the attitude of heart being one of submission to the Father or not)).
Once he, Jesus had done that the dominion was restored to the Father and He in turn gave all authority to Jesus and when we understand that authority is in the name of the one holding that authority then we understand the power of the name of Jesus. We as mankind have been given the right to use the name of Jesus which means we can use that restored authority to change things here on earth. We cannot use it to change another persons will (the Father would never do that) but we can use it to change us and to change things. Could we have changed the earthquake etc…I don’t believe so, the earth is still subject to the effects of being under satans dominion for a protracted time, the other thing is that because alot of people haven’t been taught or haven’t accepted what Jesus did for them they aren’t able to take dominion over the effects of satans dominion in their own lives let alone the natural circumstances they find themselves in.
The Father loves all his creation (all mankind are his children) they either haven’t heard that He loves them or they’ve seen people professing to know Him who act without love and therefore misrepresent Him completely, giving people the competely wrong impression of who He really is. He’s is loving Father who has a right way for us to live and who wants to bless us but needs us to listen and live under His guidance for that to become our reality.
The people of Japan need our prayers as do those in New Zealand (my homeland btw) and anywhere else there has been natural tragedy. More than that they need to meet the Father who loves them and has loved them from before the beginning of time.
He is the only one who can bring true healing to our hearts, only the true Father knows His kids intimately!

dj

posted March 18, 2011 at 11:38 am

Artie–
You may be interested in a new realm of the universe that has just started being studied by the scientific community. Pick up the book “Power Versus Force” by David R. Hawkins, MD, PhD. It may open your thinking to new heights.

Mary from Minnesota

posted March 18, 2011 at 11:41 am

This post and the comments below are all looking at this from a Christian perspective. Japan is only about 1% Christian. The country is majority Shinto and Buddhist, with a very different view of God, nature and suffering.
Perhaps that is why the people have acted with much more grace than people in other countries when confronted with disater.
I just hope that people don’t use this disaster as a tool to try large scale conversion under the guise of humanitarian aid. These people need their own culture and religions traditions to get through this, not a foreign faith.

severio nesich

posted March 18, 2011 at 12:06 pm

IF REALLY IS A GOD , HOW HE ALLOWED THE REPUBLICANS ,AND TEA PARTY
TO MAKE SO MANY BAD THINGS TO THE HUMANITY ?,AND CREATE RUSS ,LIMBO, AND MANY OTHERS BAD PEOPLE IN THIS PLANET , BECAUSE IS NO GOOD,NEVER WAS ,AND NEVER BE,IS MAN INVENTION ,TO SCARE PEOPLE , LIKE A BOOGIE MAN.

FouFou

posted March 18, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I want to know how I can read or get “Heaven’s Letters.

Victoria

posted March 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm

God does not make bad things happen to people. God gives us the strenght to deal with the suffering.

Shawn

posted March 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Excellent piece! In the world we live in today, you could almost feel compelled to write it every week if you watch too much TV or read too many newspaper/magazine articles. By the way…I am a Notre Dame grad and it is good to see someone from our Sister school excelling at spreading the word!

Delmar W. Arave

posted March 18, 2011 at 1:00 pm

The way I view this is that I cannot label it as being ‘evil’.
Where were the people to be punished 200,000 years ago when the earth was still forming then as it is now.
Say that God, created the earth, and I say the earth is still in the creation cycle and will be in that creation cycle long after mankind ceases to exist on this planet and that has not a thing to do with good nor evil it just the way the earth needs to be to support anykind of life as the earth is a living planet and not a dead planet!
Delmar W. Arave

martin

posted March 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm

the devil is the ruler of this world; the disasters that happen are because of him. in times of disasters we must have faith in god; doing what we can to help those in adversity.

mercy

posted March 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm

hi is too complex to explain just have to watch what you say where is God God is in you is out I only say what is happening on our planet earth is that this is not now if not thousands of years ago and I say God is not guilty of anything is our actions each of us than we think and we bring everything that express that thought about Dad, but everything is perfect because you have to see a balance in everything and want our mother Gaiam she has to be constantly moving mind that there is a balance in it all are connected with it only say that there amarece with each other there must be no difference at all because when you leave the field everything that happens here only the spirit is that Cam’s time to meet because there is nothing else to leave the label and be a burden in that we come together to help serve just love without any differences in this society to be that of what you bring when you were born and in peseta sidewalks and surfaces of your hands you with any child in your ages and there was no difference of race or religion or language, there was only love that you laughed at you and you played so we must always be the life of mankind up when you touch your game is to love what is due and you have to join na closer to God is in all of what you see and play in every creation is God’s blessings namaste

Bright16

posted March 18, 2011 at 2:29 pm

My thought is that God is everywhere and God has given this earth and the opportunity to do good with what he has given us. I believe that sadly, we as human beings, have not utilized the powers and skills that we have been given to do all good with. We have messed with the natural process of life, medicine, etc. Surely we were not meant to live forever, but we were meant to be kind, giving and thoughtful. This world has been moved by greed, war, drugs, synthetic life process, etc. God is not showing us that he still has the power and that we have undermined him. Sadly, in order to get our attention, he is shaking things up to awaken us to what our purpose is. It is in times like the Japan earthquake/tsunami, Haiti earthquake, S.F. Earthquake, all the flooding, tornado’s and any other kind of mishappening that we are being tested to see the good we can evoke from our inner beings and think of someone else aside from our own material greed. To see what we can muster to help others rather than lute and feel sorry for ourselves.
It is my hope that we will fall firmly to the real purpose of us being here on earth and come back to what is essential – God will provide in some way, but we must listen to his idle warnings.
We are all faced with hardships, some worse than others, yet we all want so much more in material form. It starts in the heart and God or a higher being for those that do not believe in God is showing us that we really are not in charge.

Erica Gantt

posted March 18, 2011 at 2:53 pm

We are selfish as beings to ask questions about God’s decisions…. As stated there is a natural balance to all things. Our destiny has being set when we are conceived. We should not look at natural events whether it be floods, earthquakes,tornadoes,etc. as good or evil. Somethings are done to show us that God still has all power. No matter how strong we build up our cities God can crumble them down. And why should we feel we should never suffer pain or hardship. From birth Jesus was running for his life, A life that was already predestined to be ended for our sins. Not once did Jesus question his FATHER!….To make sense of it all there is an underline situation that needs to be corrected when God does things in nature. (Poulation Control?)That is it is important to hold steady in our faith and be ready, in Christ, at our time of expiration…..

Diane

posted March 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm

We as people are not perfect….the world is volitale and imperfect….disaster is bound to occur. I feel sad for people who don’t have faith, they are victums to whatever will occur in nature either by design or by fault. I’m glad God is in control when everything seems out of control. He gives hope to the hopeless and strength to those who have to fight to survive disasters such as these.
“If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face..then i will hear from heaven and I will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14
I agree with the article and the situation has made me very sad.

Linda Race

posted March 22, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I have read the posts on this page. I am awed to see there are so many good people out there sharing their thoughts. I have recently been struggling with a personal loss but I have turned my attention to the people of Japan and their suffering. At this time the only thing I can offer them is my prayers and I have felt so selfish and petty being upset about my own situation, I have started praying in earnest for the people. Our earth seems to be ripping itself apart right now. Perhaps it is trying to repair and rebuild itself and this is just the natural process. We people keep getting in the way. I guess the only thing we can do at a time like this is offer up our prayers of comfort and support for the people who have suffered and for those brave, compassionate souls who are tirelessly working to help them. THIS IS WHERE GOD TRULY IS!

Sue Blake

posted March 24, 2011 at 11:23 am

No matter how much we try to “philosophize” this horrific disaster (among many others) the bottom line is that we have not attained the utopia of Heaven yet. It goes back to the “original sin” in Eden and the degrees of sins we are experiencing in this era. God “sees all”, “knows all”, and “is all”. We are truly “living Revelations” here and now. Many skeptics say “oh we have seen this throughout centuries”; yes, of course we have, but not to the degree we have in the past few decades. Noone knows the mind of God..

May God’s mercy and grace be with all those affected by this monstrous disaster. Let the ones left behind find the one true God, through his Son, Jesus Christ, in this.

GNM

posted March 24, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Artie, your view strikes me as one coming from the dark side. You see satan can go any lengths to pull people away from God, even if it means denying its very existence (I use the word “its” for satan). And if you want to experience the power of prayer why don’t you apply your “science and knowledge” awareness by experimenting… I mean go ahead and pray sincerely to God and see if there won’t be a paradigmatic shift in your life. Go on, don’t be afraid anymore because you will realise you are in better hands than anything else.

Paul

posted April 14, 2011 at 10:17 pm

God is a jelous God, He wants no other gods before Him ,about 90% of Japan worship idles that they make could this be their problem ? Just look at our country we have our share of natural disasters,we also have been turniing away from God JUST look around, adultry fornication. killing uninnocent babies there is a long list, God said the world waxeth old, some day it will be like the days of Noah and Christ will come and destroy this world in a blink of an eye and we will all go to judgement. Christ said “many are called but few be chosen and few will enter in. STUDY YOUR BIBLE,

Paul

posted April 14, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Most people listen to the news like they learn the Bible, they only know what someone tells them instead of going to the source. If It were not for talk radio and Fox News Obama would be our only law (dictator) Wake up before it’s to late.

Glyn Bailey

posted April 16, 2011 at 12:25 am

I am sorry to tell you all this, but the sad fact of the matter is that there is no loving, benevolent God. He or she does not exist. Once you accept this rather inconvenient fact and have the courage to separate yourself from your mythological upbringing or indocrination, you will find that all theological contradictions will fall away like scales from the eyes of a blind man. Be a good person because that is the right thing to be – not because some crazy religious doctrine puts the fear of hell into your subconscious. Peace!

sandra

posted April 16, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Artie I read your comment. I though about Jesus when the Roman hang Him on the cross between the two thief, He look upon heaven and ask His Father “Father forgive them for they no not what they are doing” so I’m asking God to forgive you ” For you no not what you are saying” There is a God. He’s loving, forgiving, all-powerful, all-knowing and He’s everywhere at the same time. Just try Him. Read Roman 10:9-10 AND see the power of GOD. God is a spirit. His Son Jesus died for you and I. The word of God is not a fairy tale. It is the true divine Word of God. Take the time out and read it and ask the Holy Spirit to teach it to you. First, ask God to forgive you of your sin and believe that He is the only true eternal God and see your life change “RIGHT” before your eyes and other eyes. I’m praying for you!

Brain

posted April 17, 2011 at 12:51 am

Do we think of God when we are making weapons that destroy lives? do we think of God when we supporting abortion? do we think of God when we are doing all the things we know that are bad, but we still do because we simply humans and want to do those things, but then we ask where is God when something bad happens to us? what happened in Japan is horrible. And I feel for them but people like you should use your brain and stop using God’s name in-vane in this kind of situations. we people are selfish and don’t realize that the things happening in the world today are consequences to our actions. Like Sandra said! God forgive us because we do not know what we are doing and what we are saying! we want you to come help us and make our whole lives better but we don’t want to stop doing the wrong things we do and start doing the right things. we are like spoil children, the more you give us freedom the more we screw up! God bless Japan and forgive us all for the stupidities we do and say!