Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue

The 12 (Bipolar) Days of Christmas: The Lyrics

posted by Beyond Blue

holiday depression.jpeg
Here are the lyrics to my “The 12 (Bipolar) Days of Christmas.” I meant to publish them with the video, but I didn’t want to spoil the surprise … because you would know what’s coming next. However, I didn’t take into consideration how off-key I would be, that people really needed a cheat-sheet to get through it.

I’ve included the appropriate links so to make this a true Beyond Blue wrap-up or present for you guys!

The 12 (Bipolar) Days of Christmas

On the first day of Christmas, my husband gave to me a room in at Johns Hopkins’s psych ward.

On the second day of Christmas, my husband gave to me two HappyLites, and a room in at Johns Hopkins’s psych ward.

On the third day of Christmas, my husband gave to me three therapists, two HappyLites, and a room in at Johns Hopkins’s psych ward.

On the fourth day of Christmas, my husband gave to me four mood stabilizers, three therapists, two HappyLites, and a room in at Johns Hopkins’s psych ward.

On the fifth day of Christmas, my husband gave to me FIVE FAMILY SESSIONS, four mood stabilizers, three therapists, two HappyLites, and a room in at Johns Hopkins’s psych ward.

On the sixth day of Christmas, my husband gave to me six yoga classes, FIVE FAMILY SESSIONS, four mood stabilizers, three therapists, two HappyLites, and a room in at Johns Hopkins’s psych ward.

On the seventh day of Christmas, my husband gave to me seven Chinese herbs, six yoga classes, FIVE FAMILY SESSIONS, four mood stabilizers, three therapists, two HappyLites, and a room in at Johns Hopkins’s psych ward.

On the eighth day of Christmas, my husband gave to me eight 12-step meetings, seven Chinese herbs, six yoga classes, FIVE FAMILY SESSIONS, four mood stabilizers, three therapists, two HappyLites, and a room in at Johns Hopkins’s psych ward.

On the ninth day of Christmas, my husband gave to me nine guardian angels, eight 12-step meetings, seven Chinese herbs, six yoga classes, FIVE FAMILY SESSIONS, four mood stabilizers, three therapists, two HappyLites, and a room in at Johns Hopkins’s psych ward.

On the tenth day of Christmas, my husband gave to me ten meditations, nine guardian angels, eight 12-step meetings, seven Chinese herbs, six yoga classes, FIVE FAMILY SESSIONS, four mood stabilizers, three therapists, two HappyLites, and a room in at Johns Hopkins’s psych ward.

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my husband gave to me eleven fish-oil capsules, ten meditations, nine guardian angels, eight 12-step meetings, seven Chinese herbs, six yoga classes, FIVE FAMILY SESSIONS, four mood stabilizers, three therapists, two HappyLites, and a room in at Johns Hopkins’s psych ward.

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my husband gave to me twelve tranquilizers, eleven fish-oil capsules, ten meditations, nine guardian angels, eight 12-step meetings, seven Chinese herbs, six yoga classes, FIVE FAMILY SESSIONS, four mood stabilizers, three therapists, two HappyLites, and a room in at Johns Hopkins’s psych ward.

Larry Parker

posted November 29, 2007 at 11:24 am

Silly Therese, you weren’t off-key.
The song is inherently off-tune. (Especially when it’s rushed as it famously is after “FIVE FAMILY SESSIONS.”)

Ron

posted November 29, 2007 at 1:40 pm

I dunno too much about keys…on or off. But I laughed

Bright Star

posted November 29, 2007 at 4:15 pm

That stunk…

Wisdum

posted November 29, 2007 at 6:37 pm

Just a quote from my mother “It’s a great Life, if you don’t take it serious” … and I never have (and I have never got out of my first childhood either, now 66) The only time I was depressed in my Life was when they put me on medication for bi-polar, and it took me a year to adjust to it, I couldn’t even write my name so I could recognize it! I was so embarassed at my work production, I almost refused to accept my pay check (you kiddin me! dam right I accepted it, I wasn’t going to go bankrupt too!)
LUV 2 ALL
Wisdum

Nancy

posted November 29, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Therese,
If only I had a husband or boyfriend so generous!!! It totally rocked!!!
I only caught part of the video (tech problems) but then I found the lyrics…my entire office wanted to know what was making me laugh so hard that I was crying!
Keep the videos and blogs coming girl because it never seems to fail that you send something out when I need it the most.
Thanks for being you,
Nancy

Nancy

posted November 29, 2007 at 9:56 pm

P.S. Thanks for the referrals to each item mentioned in your version of the 12 days…many of the articles I had not read previously.
Nan

Larry Parker

posted November 30, 2007 at 12:21 am

Bright Star … dim bulb.
(Sorry, I don’t like to call out fellow BBers — contrary to popular belief, LOL — but the number one rule of BB is DON’T INSULT THE BLOG-MISTRESS.)

Bright Star

posted November 30, 2007 at 2:38 am

I didn’t like it. There are alot of Bi-polar people that are probably saddened by all that.. It’s Not funny when you think about one in four people are Bi-polar.They don’t need to be reminded of all the stuff that they have to go through, that’s not fun. How about Not agreeing with someone who makes fun of sick people ? Happy Holidays to ALL…..

Bright Star

posted November 30, 2007 at 3:30 am

On the Brighter side– I enjoyed reading about each individual 12 gifts. I had a friend who had an opposite reaction to Happy Lites, they scared her so much you couldn’t leave her alone in a room without her unplugging electrical (small Lights) appliances. The fish oil is a good thing ,I also feel. Your individual articles about the gifts make up for the lyrics..I won’t be singing that tune anytime soon…Count your Blessings and Good Night. God Bless everybody..

Margaret Balyeat

posted November 30, 2007 at 5:18 am

While i agree with Bright Star that there’s ABSOLUTELY NOTHIN funny about being bipolar (or having unipolar depression for that matter, I enjoyed your creativity, Therese! And I THANK YOU for printing the lyrics as my speakers are still kaput and reading lips doesn’t happen to be among my personal skills. I did TRY, though!)

Struggling in CO

posted November 30, 2007 at 11:12 am

I struggle with depression. I take meds. My adopted brother has been in and out of wards, prisons, and meetings. We’ve had all kinds of quacky family sessions. SO I know what depression is.
But sometimes, you have to try and see a little humor in all of this. AS cynical and “optimistic” as I am, I can still smile at the quirky-ness of all the things we try to just feel better – or what everyone else calls NORMAL. It’s ok. Criticism indicates that you are bitter at the things you have had to endure.
Everything happens for a reason and what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. (trite but true sayings from our parents).
So try and smile, even just a little scroogy smile…

Lori

posted November 30, 2007 at 6:11 pm

It would be a laugh if you were being light hearted about yourself. When I started reading it, it didnt feel good, then it started building into healthy, taking care of yourself stuff:12 step, meditation, yoga, fish oil BUT then it bombed with the tranquilizers, for me,as they are poison to me, unless, I laughed, thinking maybe they are for the husband. And, maybe its a true story too many times and the truth hurts me.
Happy Holidays!
Lori

Larry Parker

posted November 30, 2007 at 11:54 pm

Bright Star:
Just keep in mind, for Therese, me, and many others, sarcasm is an invaluable defense mechanism against this disease.
It doesn’t mean we don’t take THE DISEASE ITSELF 1000% seriously.

Nancy

posted December 1, 2007 at 1:29 am

Bright Star – As the saying goes, “Take what you need and leave the rest”. The remark “That Stunk……..” reflected nothing on Therese; only on the angry, resentful, crappy place you were/are in. It’s always about us.
That’s ok. Therese has broad shoulders and many fans. I have “suffered” with numerous serious illnesses these past few years, which has kept me housebound and mainly bedridden. This is in addition to the dragon of clinical depression burning through the medicinal protocol that was working well for me for approximately 10 years.
There are many days that I cry, I’m angry, I’m incapacitated (not of my own choice) and so on. However, those 12 days of bipolar Christmas brought a smile to my face and a lightness and laughter to my heart.
Why? Because another human being identified with the miserable aspects of this crappy disease and created something to make me laugh along with her. I actually printed the lyrics out and read them to my husband. This is not because I do not have a severe degree of depression without a long history of mistreatment and misdiagnosis and almost death. But sometimes, if I can muster it up in the right circumstances and with safe people, such as Therese and others here, the laughter and tounge-in-cheek humor is fun.
Having said that, if some lay person who never walked in the pits of hell through any form of serious depression came up with this little “ditty” of a christmas carol, I would have a totally different reaction. The humor and enjoyment was there for me as I have witnessed this beautiful young mom persevere so very dilligently to help herself, her family, and others; us – her readers. Her compassion is authentic and real as is her off-key singing. T – We could have harmonized perfectly. I sing in the same tune, tone and range!!

Nora

posted December 1, 2007 at 7:14 am

Bright Star
I liked it but I can get behind what you say too. I’ve been in a place many times where it was all (insert favorite bad word here) When i can’t find the humor in my disease i know i am in a bad way though.
I just wish i could perform it for the folks at the local MH drop in center. That would be cool. I should think about rewriting it for myself. Good idea, Nora Are we getting a little manic or what??

Larry Parker

posted December 1, 2007 at 1:13 pm

Nancy:
I keep telling you, Therese was not off-key ;-P
Either in her singing or in the lyrics, I might add.

Nancy

posted December 2, 2007 at 12:04 am

Larry – I was kidding – I was tagging that on to what someone else said in a prior comment about her singing!! That’s why I added it in. I was trying to be funny, which is pretty lame when I’m writing at 1:30 in the morning because I can’t sleep from the pain!!
You know I love everything Therese does. She could just stand in front of the video camera and I would start clapping and applauding her!!

Nancy

posted December 2, 2007 at 12:17 am

Larry – ya gotta bear with me. In addition to being as sick as I thought humanly possible, the last 2 weeks have been filled with bonus points on and with the medical community.
First was the mammo scare that had to be repeated 3 x’s until the Radiologist could confirm that the calcifications where benign. Then I get a phone call from my Dr. who is working with me on the cfs/me/fm and lets me know that my blood work indicates a possible renal tumor.
Go to Endocrinologist with script and blood work, he says my problem is that I’m drinking too much water. So, I’m with it all until this statment, where I wanted to get up and choke the life out of this “esteemed invidivual”. No ultrasound was performed as my Doctor wanted, but blook work will be repeated extensively in 3 weeks. Whoppee! Maybe they’ll find out that I brush my teeth too often and that is what has caused the total collapse of my cns/ans. Give me a break!!
On 12/11, we’ll be off to another “specialty center” – after filling out a repetitive 24 page “outline”, which is repetitve and getting on my last nerve. I plan on writing on the last page that completing this inane booklet, which could have been reduced to 6 pages max., brought out the worst in my symptoms, thank you very much.
P.S. – I love all of your posts. The deep theology ones are over my capacity for reading right now. I am in brain fog with diminished blood flow to the brain (probably from drinking an extra bottle of water). Your life story was so soul baring and honest. When I’m a little clearer (only God knows when) I will reread them all with what is hopefully an increased ability to graspe what all of the content is.
I know if I were sitting in Philosophy class with you and Therese, I’d be chewing on the end of my pencil with my head spinning. I don’t know how my 19 year old Business Management/Finance Major is pulling it off so well in these diverse philosphy and religion classes he is taking, along with being part of the Ignation Residential College Program within Fairfield University. God bless my kid.

Larry Parker

posted December 2, 2007 at 12:45 am

Nancy:
Of course I was kidding you too.
Goodness gracious, forget everything else for a second — they had to do THREE mammograms on you?! A prostate exam for a man, painful though it can be, only lasts a few seconds — and we complain anyway. And we say WOMEN are delicate flowers?!
Back to the really serious stuff you are going through … I have a friend of a friend who has Wilson’s disease. It seems to match at least some of the things you have reported here on BB as symptoms. Have your docs ruled out that possibility?
PS — To your son, I give the best AMDG (Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam) wishes. A Jesuit education is truly a blessing, even if you don’t appreciate it at the time (although I certainly tried to …).

Nancy

posted December 2, 2007 at 10:21 am

Thanks, Larry — I’ll pass your message on to my son. Now I have to look up and see what “Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam” wishes are. I feel like a moron. Yes, his education is a blessing, and he loves, loves, loves his school and he does (Oh I hope for all of the money it’s costing) appreciate the opportunity he is involved with right now.
Plus, now that his brother has graduated from college, he knows only too well how quickly this time passes, as difficult as it can be at times. The best of times in many ways.
Ok – now before I go back to my role as V.P. of Finance and crunch numbers – I’ll goggle the ADMG.
Thanks for the mention on Wilson’s Disease. I’ll check it out. My symptoms are pretty clear cut (actually classic) of every aspect of me/cfs/fm; however, there’s no cure and treatment is lame. It’s still in the dark ages of treatment protocol and slowly catching up with only a handful of “specialists”.

Nancy

posted December 2, 2007 at 10:26 am

ADMG = “For the greater Glory of God”
Very cool – now maybe I’ll throw that one out at Justin and he’ll think I know something for a change. Nah – what 19 (almost 20) year old thinks their mother knows anything!! except how to sign checks – ka-ching, ka-ching (my own made up spelling) – meaning kids are expensive!

Larry Parker

posted December 2, 2007 at 10:30 pm

ADMG, for anyone who wonders what this is all about, is the slogan/motto of the Jesuit order.

mary Ann DeMott Baykowski

posted December 3, 2007 at 1:43 am

As Christmas sign, signals, lovely reds, greens, ribbons, pine candles, cookies baking —–I am 67 yrs now, and so missing my 44 yr old daughter – oh so pretty since forever ago – at 6 wks doctors told me she would not see her 1st birthday (I just almost fainted and said, oh yes she will!). Her dad left her at age 4……so this lovely oh so pretty child had no dad (we had been married 4 yrs – dad did not want girl child ………..so anguish, years of God Help US, and keep her mom strong. Back to work………
situation at this time: family member drank her way into letting my 1st born know I have depression, etc. My 2nd husband was great, but not with children….oh heavens!! My Cathy has kept in touch, but recently not heard from her for a year…..no idea where to send gifts, cards, -anything! I cry, I ache, I pray to see her -she is in California – and pray ffor an angel to see her before i leave this world. She has issues with me – i will not forgive my sister who put me thru and living hell with lies, accusations, and refusing a death wish my mom requested by the woman who was an angel herself. What can I do having bi-polar, but full of personality, adoration for miy Cathy (and Kristen and family – my grandchildren I do not see due to miy other dauther telling me she knows I quite disrespect my ex, her father (again, never was a dad) – and horrific treatment spilled from him thru divorce 20 yrs ago.
I miss my children, cannot get to CA. Kristen, in NJ says her sons do not know who I am!! I have sent gifts, little notes and letters, to the boys………always send things…….
where is an angel who can help me find peace of mind, and a way to silently make them aware how much I need them, love them, and …the first time ever I saw your face………..that is the song that i wish to send them……..any suggestions. I so wish to have a christmas with more that the sharing, caring, wonderful memories we once enjoyed. I can smell the cookies cooking now……………
thanks, maryann

Larry Parker

posted December 3, 2007 at 2:08 pm

AMDG, not ADMG — I’m feeling both dyslexic and perfectionistic, an odd combination ;-P

Robert Moseley Sr.

posted December 3, 2007 at 3:32 pm

You have a Merry CHRISTmas anyway.Thee is very little left of value in this world anyway ,so enjoy that which is left.
Bob Sr.

Karen Carlton

posted December 3, 2007 at 5:48 pm

I don’t see the humor in this. Some bipolar patients could really be feeling at an all-time low right now, and for something like this to come outmay make their mood even worse.

JacquieB

posted December 3, 2007 at 6:48 pm

I think this is quite funny. Sometimes it is good to be able to laugh at your situation – humour is a great part of my therapy – right up there 2nd to Jesus, who helps me through each and every day.
Blessings of the season to all who read this!

Ron

posted December 3, 2007 at 7:55 pm

The more we lighten up, the less we’re in the dark. Isn’t that the point?

KELLY COLEMAN

posted December 3, 2007 at 11:44 pm

i AM BiPOLAR && iT Did NOT HURT ME BUT i DO UNDERSTAND iT COULD HURT SOMEONE BUT iT MADE ME SMiLE && LAUGH SO THANK YOU! i LOVE it!

JM

posted December 4, 2007 at 9:16 am

I think it’s very funny. I don’t believe that life is meant to be taken THAT seriously.
Blessings for the season.

jenn

posted December 4, 2007 at 1:40 pm

I just wanted to add something to my previous comment. I’ve read some of the other comments and everyone is welcome to how they feel. It’s how you feel and that is valid, but for me…this was funny. It was funny because it poked funny at a bad situation when I needed it to. I was diagnosed Bi-Polar, ADHD, and OCD almost 4 years ago. I always had asthma and I was just diagnosed with allergies to Wheat, Gluten, and nuts a couple weeks ago. I’ve been frustrated the past couple weeks with the life altering changes I have to make in my eating and going to a restaraunt is bloody scary because I don’t know what they are going to give me since I can’t read ingrediant labels on my food. It’s been more rough than usual because of this for me around these holidays…but in the end…this made me laugh when I needed to laugh soo much. The one thing that I’ve learned so far in my life is that no matter how bad it is…it can get worse…so enjoy the good times and know that when the bad times hit that in all of nature, no storm can last forever. We laugh during the bad times so they aren’t so bad. If this video bothers you and made you feel worse…I’m sorry, I truly am. If it make you smile…well, smiles are contagious so pass it on to someone that needs it.
Happy holidays to everyone…and bright blessings in all things.
J.

Rose

posted December 4, 2007 at 5:16 pm

I loved this! You ought to be nominated for an Oscar! I had to ask my husband for the name of that! Anyway, I used to sing that song when it was, “Dr. Carlisle and St. John’s psyche ward” Dr. Carlisle was a psychiatrist who must have really wanted to get into this business because he went to great lengths to tell you not to take it so seriously, you were just a little bit wacko as were most people. I really loved him!. Of course, there was this professional patient who insisted that everyone but her “had serious issues” as if that was a technical description! I and my beloved children who are either Bipolar or Schizophrenic, (that one won’t talk to me anymore. She’s in treatment), have renamed a country for ourselves and spend much time discussing how everything should be and any new drugs, (legal), that appear on the horizon. I think we help ourselves more than anything else we’ve found. Each of my children have found their own nich. My son is raising two dear children in a most caring way. My oldest daughter has switched from alcohol to pot for the time being, because her father is dying of cancer of the liver. My big daughter went to Reno and gambled and had very good luck so she just ridded herself of bad luck!My other daughter is traveling to foreign countries with her very intelligent, rich, young boyfriend, and one daughter, going through therapy has found out this is all my fault so she hates me. So, viva Bipolar!

Katherine

posted December 5, 2007 at 4:18 pm

I would like to say your video made me happy, after crying all week and trying to manage the holiday it was a welcome distraction. Thank you Therese, I love your blogs and all the information you provide..Katherine

Maria Martinez

posted December 6, 2007 at 1:48 pm

Thanks for this…My life lately has spiraled a little out of control, no wait that’s where I live! All three of my sons were diagnosed with ADHD and my daughter ADD. In the last three years I have been diagonosed with Bi-polar, Diabetes and High-Cholesterol. My 17 year old daughter had a baby over the summer. My twenty two year old son, got a girl pregnant married her and now they have a baby. O by the way my daughter also is married now and living with her new husband and their baby. My fifteen year old son just ran away for the 2nd time in 6 months after he was cited for possession of marijuana and paraphenalia. He’s home now but we are constantly on watch with him. My fourteen year old has developed an ATTITUDE!!! His teachers aren’t crazy about him and at the moment I’m having a hard time. Sorry this went on so long but now you know why this was a good moment for me. It’s good to laugh, especially amidst insanity!! Thank you again.

Karen

posted December 6, 2007 at 3:52 pm

Very funny & very appropriate. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas.

Anonymous

posted December 8, 2007 at 8:59 am

Thank You , I thought this was very funny and uplifting especially during the holidays. My family, I’m sure like many families, have our share of problems. I’ve bipolar and guess I’ve had it all my life. My son inherited this from me along with panic attacks, chrone’s disease and fibermyalgia. He is currently back home with us, but is planning on returning back to Charlotte to be close to his son. He and his wife have been separated for 5 years, since the birth of there son. My oldest daughter seems to be doing fine, she lives out of state, with her husband and 3 sons, we talk on the phone, but I never see them. My youngest daughter also lives out of state, with her husband and we haven’t talked for 7 years, she thinks my husband and myself are crazy and for her to stay sane, she needs to disassociate herself from us. Again thank you and Happy Holidays

De Etta Perks

posted December 8, 2007 at 2:01 pm

I absolutely loved it! I sent it to my daughter who is bipolar! I am sure she will love it too! Good luck and clap, clap, clap! Fabulous!

Star

posted December 8, 2007 at 4:48 pm

Those of us who are chemically imbalanced, hyper-sensitive or both really have no choice but to live amongst insanity. Being that we all are different people, not everyone reacts the same to a suggested remedy. I’ve been diagnosed Bipolar since I was 15 (27 now) so I’ve tried a few different things besides Paxil etc….. So I really appreciate when I know I’m not alone and that someone else can translate it so matter-of-factly. And so hilariosly!!!! This is the only thing I’ve found dat really can be applied to everyone: Keep the Peace, but Share the Love. A Star Chavez original.

Kathy

posted December 10, 2007 at 10:34 am

How sad…………..I live with Bi-Polar. I se a therapist, and take meds. I have done many positive things in my life, like Authored a book. Still, I find NO HUMOR in this kind of musing. It’s just plain cruel! I thought that I had found some wonderful insights and lessons to be learned at this “Belief” Net site, how wrong I was.

Kathy B

posted December 11, 2007 at 10:34 am

I would like to say in reguards to the sad Kathy; That we all have our ups and downs, Highs and lows, being Bi-polar. We are all different people with the same struggles.And to everyone who has viewed, or will view this song~Video, it may offend some of us;especially if we’re depressed, but at the same time it may lift some of us up. It depends on how you view it!
I believe she did it so we could relate,and see that we’re not alone.
God loves us all! He is with us even in our darkest hours.
Even in our manic stages, He is there! I think we all should pray for each other, and I think this shows us what we have in common.
Thank you!

Rev. Tracie Voss

posted December 11, 2007 at 6:05 pm

Like Kathy B, I feel for the “Sad Kathy.” If you’re really that far down what I’ve always called “the Black Spiral,” it’s hard to see the humor in anything. (Nothing personal, Therese. I loved it, but I already discussed that after the last post.)
Let’s start with the obvious:
If you need help, reach out and ask for it. The worst part of this disease is that, by its very nature, it isolates. It will tell you that nobody wants to listen to your problems, nobody cares about you, and, yes, the world really would be better off without you. It’s wrong. I’ll say that again. It’s wrong. Call it the Voice of the Devil whispering in your ear if you want, but you’re stronger than it is. THE SIMPLE ACT OF REACHING OUT TO OTHERS FOR HELP IS THE HARDEST, BRAVEST, and MOST EFFECTIVE THING YOU CAN DO. After that, every single thing on the road to recovery is easy by comparison.
If you know somebody who needs help, REACH OUT TO THEM. They may not be able to reach to you, but that doesn’t mean they need you any less. In my case, this person was my sister, Cookie. She was, is, and always will be “My Shining Star” for knowing exactly what to do when I needed it. If you don’t know what to do, ask. The Depression and bipolar Support Alliance has a great website with lots of information and resources. As their slogan says, “We’ve been there. We can help.”
There are more of us out there than you may think, and we have ways to beat this. According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) “Mental disorders are common in the United States and internationally. An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older — about one in four adults — suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year… …Bipolar disorder affects approximately 5.7 million American adults, or about 2.6 percent of the U.S. population age 18 and older in a given year.”
We’ve all been there. The first step is to ask for help.
Resources and References:
Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA)
Internet Mental Health. “Bi Polar Disorder”
National Institute for Mental Health. “The Numbers Count: Mental Disorders in America.” Retrieved December 11, 2007.
Read, Kimberly and Marcia Purse. “About.com: Bipolar Disorder”

Kim

posted December 18, 2007 at 10:13 pm

I loved it! We all need comedy especially when we are bi-polar. My sister is suffering also from the disorder. So I sent it to her. I read a few more comments about this and we need to get over ourselves. Geeze, I’ve done my time in hospitals and many different medications, and I found for myself, a great sense of humor, good and consistent medications, exercise and good healthy food, really brought my chemical imbalance into a handle. Christmas is my tough time, and positive thinking and a new grandchild’s first Christmas, makes the bed not so inviting, and getting up in the morning happy and exciting.

Beth

posted December 19, 2007 at 12:27 am

I too did not find this comical – sad commentary

Jerry/jerebear

posted December 19, 2007 at 10:03 am

Good Morning, BRB, gots ta make some coof,,,Would not rade my bipolar, for any of the other blessings in Gods world.
So, some advice, gleaned from over a quarter Century of eating Lithium Carbonate, in the gell capsules,,,
Don’t lets the caps dissolve in your mouth,,,Lithium,is a powder, and if ya inhale any,,, inyer lungs,,,I did it once, never again, A Word to the Wise, should suffice…
If Yer depressed, just take two in the morning, and two at beddy-bye time, with Water, and lay down, and wait for the acid reflux to start.
If yer “normal”, like as in most of the time, take em with food, just like the Doctor suggested…
And,,, If Yer a little manic and bored, drop the four capsules,(1200 mg), into Your fresh, strong hot cofee, watch the geletin?, capsules dissolve, and the LI/2-CO/3 go into solution,,,as the gelcaps, sink, and stick to the bottom f Your cup, Give coffee, a slightly metallic flavor, Am stirring mine now, Hey,,Its better for You than sugar!
So, God Bless A/all, and Merry Christmas, to all, even heathens, and terrorists. Jere,,,.

Jan Peterson

posted December 19, 2007 at 9:51 pm

What a splendid sense of humour! I currently have the blahs, didn’t expect them this time, I’ve been doing so well, my shopping anxiety is down to only major confusion and panic and I am at a dead stop finishing the decorating and baking. I read it to feel better. I’ll take the twelve tranquilizers, please.
Thanks for cheering me up. I knew I wasn’t the only blue christmas elf out here, but it is nicer to read it!
Merry Yuletide

Kathie

posted December 20, 2007 at 9:47 pm

OMG.. I’m sitting here peeing my pants in hysterical laughter. Yes having bipolar illness is serious,but, we also need to learn to laugh at ourselves. I’m one of those people who finds humor in many things. One of the comments I always make is, “I don’t suffer from a mental illness, I enjoy every minute of it.” What I mean by that is this: if it weren’t for my diagnosis and seeking treatment, I wouldn’t have some of the people in my life that I do. I also wouldn’t have the knowledge that I have. Thank you Therese for reminding us that even tho we may have a diagnosis, we can still find humor.

Melanie

posted December 22, 2007 at 10:13 pm

You are going to recover faster than other bipolar sufferers. My sister is bipolar and won’t admit it. We are trying to help her but she dosen’t think she needs it.

rudy

posted December 28, 2007 at 10:52 am

i think this is very funny .i have bipolar and i live day to day,i think this was a great song.people need to laugh a little at themselves.

nia

posted January 16, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Well…it’s January 16th, i just made it to the public library to check my e-mail for the first time in about 6 weeks, and it’s still funny! My only question is, who will give me all these wondrous things if i don’t have a husband (or even a boyfriend)…? i’ve got SAD as well as bipolar, and live in the Great(ly Rainy) Northwest of the US of A…Someone send us some sunshine, pleeeeeaaaase!

tabitha

posted February 17, 2008 at 4:01 pm

i was just checkin my email. our computer was messed up for awhile. i kinda liked the song. i am also bipolar ive been on and off madicine for years. im recently off of it again because we dont have any insurance and we cant afford to pay for it. but i do pretty good without it. i also live day to day. my husband is very understanding about it and helps me alot. he is really great. i wish people that arent bipolar know more about it so they could kinda understand what we go through.

paul L

posted December 10, 2008 at 6:02 pm

This was a gift that truly kept on giving as I read the links as well. Merry Christmas.

marilyn

posted December 11, 2008 at 12:02 am

thanks for the lyrics now i can sing the song at work.that will give them something to think about.your the best.

phyllis

posted December 11, 2008 at 6:14 pm

I Thought The twelve days of bipolr song was AWESOME! Like the other person said we need to laugh once in a while!

Your Name

posted December 13, 2008 at 12:55 pm

My, how fast a year goes by :) , and it’s still funny. Happy Holidays to all.

blanche

posted December 13, 2008 at 1:00 pm

I was in a hurry, and forgot to type in my name, sigh. Again, Happy Holidays to all.

Don

posted December 23, 2008 at 8:18 pm

I love this! Just reading the title gave me a laugh. One more time, I am reminded to not take life so seriously. Thank you for that and happy holidays to you and yours. :)

Pris

posted December 8, 2009 at 10:53 am

I love this…we do need to laugh at things sometimes and this DID bring a smile to my B/P face so thanks..

Charly

posted December 9, 2009 at 11:22 am

Although I don’t think I’m bipolar, I do know I agoraphobic, anxiety ridden, and very depressed. I have friends married to bipolar spouses and I will be certain to send this to them. The lyrics to fit me as well because we could all use 12 days of mindful gifts.

Ron

posted December 9, 2009 at 8:17 pm

I’ve been bipolar since about eleven but wasn’t diagnosed until I was 36. I am now 50 and I’m finally feeling somewhat ‘normal’ after eight years of therapy and 14 of medication. Near the end of my therapy I injured my brain, effectively erasing all my memories. As I recovered the first thing to come back was my bipolar disorder which told me it was a separate entity and in no way my fault. This information, while in no way healing me did allow me to shed the shame I had felt about my ‘weakness’ and allowed me to take my medication and learn to live with the effects………if only I could remember what my therapist said.

Ron

posted December 9, 2009 at 8:20 pm

The point by the way was since forever I guess I’ve been pretty dark but that song actually made me chuckle so thanks for that.

starlite

posted December 22, 2009 at 10:59 am

I thought this witty little interpretation was very funny. I have bipolar disorder and was not offended by it at all. One needs to have a sense of humor about these things some of the time..
I think I’ll share it with my NAMI people at our next meeting. BTW, what are HAPPY LITES?

Lisa

posted January 2, 2010 at 11:12 pm

I thought it was funny, but sad at the same time and only funny because it was said within our own community. NOT OUTSIDE WOULD IT BE FUNNY. Andy happy lites are special light therapy lights that help to stabilize melatonin and neurotransmitters that affect the brain during winter months also known as SAS – season affective disorder. I am bipolar and also have SAD and my new lite is making a tremendous difference in my sleep schedule and alertness. Also I am less suicidal since beginning light therapy.

Meg Y

posted December 16, 2010 at 8:59 am

Loved it…will share with my other “mental” friends :) I agree with others that have posted: somethimes you just have to laugh about all your troubles, because crying about them gets old!! Merry Christmas from me to you. Just over a week left of trying to stave off a complete breakdown from stress and anxiety! Woohoo!!

Deb

posted December 16, 2010 at 9:15 am

I LOVE this. Thanks for posting it. I will share it with my shrink AND my therapist…
Spreading the Joy…

Kansas

posted December 17, 2010 at 10:58 am

I know this little parody on the Christmas song is supposed to be cute and amusing, but I’m not laughing. I have a 16 yr old bipolar daughter and it has been one big vicious cycle of doctors and therapy sessions, medication trial and error, trips to the ER for her manic episodes, her numerous suicide attempts, etc. I am also bipolar myself. I do not intend to offend anyone on this site, but trust me, there is nothing funny about this disease.

cmaddy2

posted December 17, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I am bipolar too, with three previous suicide attempts. And all I have to say, Kansas, is, “lighten up”!!! Why did you even read this if you were so sensive? You had fair warning that is was a song paraody about bipolar.

Texas

posted December 17, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Sorry honey but I agree with Kansas~ It isnt very funny. .

PH Michigan

posted December 17, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I thought this was very insensitive and out of place. My family has a history of mental illness … my mother now deceased was hospitalized several times with emotional breakdowns and psychosis and was a patient in a ‘psych’ ward that you sing about. I myself suffer from bipolar II. This article / song further serves to promote the stigma around mental illness – someone unaware to the illness reads this or listens to the video and this is what stays in their mind ..’all those who are bipolar are nuts and go to the psych ward’. For me, this was linked off of MSNBC/ Health /Mental Health so many will randomly read this …. and this is what they will remember. This is not a bipolar dedicated blog-site … say what you want there. Jesus healed those who were mentally ill, showed compassion – I doubt you would find HIM singing in this manner about this illness, which has brought untold heartache to individuals and families and yes, suicide to many. Why not set the tune to heart disease, diabetes, stroke or cancer. We do not sing about that, do we? Unfortunate and I believe an apology due.

whysoserious

posted December 17, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I’m Bipolar, and I found this refreshingly funny. The holidays are a rough time of year. A song parody I could actually relate to was quite welcome. Humor is the best medicine.

Rochelle

posted December 18, 2010 at 12:24 am

I see the stigma of being mentally ill still abounds. I find this thoughtless and downright prejudicial. People do not ask to become mentally ill or suffer from Bi-Polar disorder. I can’t begin to explain how disgusted by this I am. I know many people, having worked with the mentally disabled, who are bi-polar, and none of these people deserve to be made fun of because of something beyond their control. Why this was allowed at all in this publication is beyond me. The author of this article should be ashamed of him/herself.

DR. MOHAWK

posted December 18, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Also…add this…”On the 13th Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…Undying love, judgeless support, and a “ATTA GIRL” when I’m feeling bad!” More people need to “be in our corner” while we deal with ANY mental illness and make the person feel “accepted” no matter the diagnosis. Now that’s a true Christmas miracle:)

~julie~

posted December 19, 2010 at 12:25 am

this is hilarious.
one has to consider the source. if you KNOW therese, if you read ANY of her blogs, you know that she has been to the depths of hell and back. she has every right to poke a little fun at what she has been through (and continues to go through). having been to a pretty hellish situation mental health-wise myself, i consider myself pretty qualified to talk about this issue.
so everyone talking about how ‘insensitive’ this in – go and read every single one of therese’s blog posts, then read her books, re-read her blogs, and THEN come back here and tell me and everyone else how ‘insensitive’ she is.
get a grip, people. and have a laugh.

jenny

posted December 19, 2010 at 1:16 am

As a mother of identical twin sons, both bipolar, I found this thoroughly insulting. This disorder is pernicious and destructive. It’s unbelievably hard to live with and live around. In an age of acceptance and political correctness why is it still okay to joke about mental illness? I’m all for a good laugh, but not at the expense of other people’s illnesses.

twin

posted December 19, 2010 at 6:32 pm

I find it is fascinating that the only ones of us that find it funny are us with a mental illness. Go figure ! Keep that sense of humor Therese, it helped you get through alot of really bad times that these “offended” people have no idea what it even feels like. There is nothing better than a good joke..a good laugh..is always better than a good cry.
To be able to laugh about any illness is a great way to cope and feel some control . Of course, that is only my bipolar experience and I really prefer not to tell people I am bipolar because they think something is wrong with me..LOL
Merry, merry, and Ho, HO ,HO

BlueOtter

posted December 20, 2010 at 1:06 pm

This is too funny. Thank goodness I finally got meds!

Crazyupload

posted December 22, 2010 at 6:51 am

Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

Your Name

posted May 2, 2011 at 3:11 am

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you again.
And bless you and Kay Jameson. She has saved many among us.
Paul McHugh too.

Rejected (Scarlet B)

posted May 2, 2011 at 3:23 am

On the first day of Christmas, my good wife gave to me a cold, cold blank stare
On the second day of Christmas, my wife gave to me two dirty looks and a cold, cold blank stare
On the third day of Christmas, my wife gave to me three “don’t-dare-touch-meez,” two dirty looks and a cold, cold blank stare
On the fourth day of Christmas, my good wife gave to me four Depakotes, three “don’t-touch-meez,” two dirty looks and cold, cold blank stare
On the fifth day of Christmas, my good wife gave to me five NOT TONNIITTES, four Depakotes, three “don’t-touch-meez,” two dirty looks and a cold, cold blank stare.
On the sixth day of Christmas, my good wife gave to me six hard shoves, five NOT TONNIITTES, four Depakotes, three “don’t-touch-meez,” two dirty looks and a cold, cold blank stare.
On the seventh day of Christmas, my good wife gave to me seven I-hate-yous, sixs hard shoves, five NOT TONNIITTES, four Depakotes, three “don’t-touch-meez,” two dirty looks and a cold, cold blank stare.
On the eighth day of Christmas, my good wife gave to me eight You’ll-Get-Outs, seven I-hate-yous, sixs hard shoves, five NOT TONNIITTES, four Depakotes, three “don’t-touch-meez,” two dirty looks and a cold, cold blank stare.
On the ninth day of Christmas, my good wife gave to me nine undying lies, eight You’ll-Get-Outs, seven I-hate-yous, sixs hard shoves, five NOT TONNIITTES, four Depakotes, three “don’t-touch-meez,” two dirty looks and a cold, cold blank stare.
On the tenth day of Christmas, my good wife gave to me ten kicks and slaps, nine undying lies, eight You’ll-Get-Outs, seven I-hate-yous, sixs hard shoves, five NOT TONNIITTES, four Depakotes, three “don’t-touch-meez,” two dirty looks and a cold, cold blank stare.
On the 11th day of Christmas, my good wife gave to me 11 cops at the door, ten kicks and slaps, nine undying lies, eight You’ll-Get-Outs, seven I-hate-yous, sixs hard shoves, five NOT TONNIITTES, four Depakotes, three “don’t-touch-meez,” two dirty looks and a cold, cold blank stare.
On the 12th day of Christmas, my good wife gave to me a dozen decrees, 11 cops at the door, ten kicks and slaps, nine undying lies, eight You’ll-Get-Outs, seven I-hate-yous, sixs hard shoves, five NOT TONNIITTES, four Depakotes, three “don’t-touch-meez,” two dirty looks and a cold, cold blank stare.

Pingback: Who inspires you? « Riding the wavez