Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue

9 Holiday Depression Busters

posted by Beyond Blue

santa pointing.jpg

My “9 Holiday Depression Busters” are featured in a Beliefnet gallery. You can get to it by clicking here.

It’s supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year–but not if negative emotions take hold of your holidays. So let’s be honest. The holidays are packed with stress, and therefore provoke tons of depression and anxiety. But there is hope. Whether I’m fretting about something as trite as stocking stuffers or as complicated as managing difficult family relationships, I apply a few rules that I’ve learned over the years. These 9 rules help me put the joy back into the festivities–or at least keep me from hurling a mistletoe at Santa and landing myself on the “naughty” list.

1. Expect the Worst

Now that’s a cheery thought for this jolly season. What I’m trying to say is that you have to predict bad behavior before it happens so that you can catch it in your holiday mitt and toss it back, instead of having it knock you to the floor. It’s simple math, really. If every year for the last decade, Uncle Ted has given you a bottle of Merlot, knowing full well that you are a recovering alcoholic and have been sober for more years than his kids have been out of diapers, you can safely assume he will do this again. So what do you do? Catch it in your “slightly-annoyed” mitt. (And maybe reciprocate by giving him a cheese basket for his high cholesterol.)

2. Remember to “SEE”

No, I don’t mean for you to schedule an appointment with an ophthalmologist. SEE stands for Sleeping regularly, Eating well, and Exercising. Without these three basics, you can forget about an enjoyable (or even tolerable) holiday. Get your seven to nine hours of sleep and practice good sleep hygiene: go to bed at the same time every night, and wake up in the same nightgown with the same man at the same time in the same house every morning.

Eating well and exercise are codependent, at least in my body, because my biggest motivator for exercising is the reduction in guilt I feel about splurging on dessert. Large quantities of sugar or high fructose corn syrup can poison your brain. If you know your weak spot–the end of the table where Aunt Judy places her homemade hazelnut holiday balls–then swim, walk, or jog ten extra minutes to compensate for your well-deserved treat. Another acronym to remember during the holidays is HALT: don’t get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired.

3. Beef Up Your Support

If you attend Al-Anon once a week, go twice a week during the holidays. If you attend a yoga class twice a week, try to fit in another. Schedule an extra therapy session as insurance against the potential meltdowns ahead of you. Pad yourself with extra layers of emotional resilience by discussing in advance specific concerns you have about X, Y, and Z with a counselor, minister, or friend (preferrably one who doesn’t gossip).

In my life with two young kids, this means getting extra babysitters so that if I have a meltdown in Starbucks like I did two years ago–before I knew the mall was menacing to my inner peace–I will have an extra ten minutes to record in my journal what I learned from that experience.

4. Avoid Toxic People

This one’s difficult if the toxic people happen to be hosting Christmas dinner! But in general, just try your best to avoid pernicious humans in December. And if you absolutely must see such folks, then allow only enough time for digestion and gift-giving. Drink no more than one glass of wine in order to preserve your ability to think rationally. You don’t want to get confused and decide you really do love these people, only to hear them say something horribly offensive two minutes later, causing you to storm off all aggravated and hurt. (This would also be a good time to remember Rule #1.)

5. Know Thyself

In other words, identify your triggers. As a highly sensitive person (as described in Elaine Aron’s book, “The Highly Sensitive Person”), I know that my triggers exist in a petri dish of bacteria known as the Westfield Annapolis Mall. Between Halloween and New Years, I won’t go near that place because Santa is there and he scares me with his long beard, which holds in its cute white curls every virus of every local preschool. Before you make too many plans this holiday season, list your triggers: people, places, and things that tend to trigger your fears and bring out your worst traits.

6. Travel With Polyester, Not Linen

By this, I DO NOT mean sporting the polyester skirt with the red sequinned reindeer. I’m saying that you should lower your standards and make traveling as easy as possible, both literally and figuratively. Do you really want to be looking for an iron for that beautiful linen or cotton dress when you arrive at your destination? I didn’t think so–life’s too short for travel irons.

I used to be adamantly opposed to using a portable DVD player in the car to entertain the kids because I thought it would create two spoiled monsters whose imaginations had rotted courtesy of Disney. One nine-hour car trip home to Ohio for Christmas, I cried uncle after six hours of constant squabbling and screaming coming from the back seat. Now David and Katherine only fight over which movie they get to watch first. If you have a no-food rule policy for the car, I’d amend that one during the holidays as well.

7. Make Your Own Traditions

Of course, you don’t need the “polyester” rule if you ban holiday travel altogether. That’s what I did this year. As the daughter/sister who abandoned her family in Ohio by moving out east, it has always been my responsibility to travel during the holidays. But my kids are now four and six. I can’t continue to haul the family to the Midwest every year. We are our own family. So I said this to my mom a few weeks ago: “It’s very important that I spend time with you, but I’d like to do it as a less stressful time, like the summer, when traveling is easier.” She wasn’t thrilled, but she understood.

Making your own tradition might mean Christmas Eve is reserved for your family and the extended family is invited over for brunch on Christmas Day. Or vice versa. Basically, it’s laying down some rules so that you have better control over the situation. As a people-pleaser who hates to cook, I make a better guest than host, but sometimes serenity comes in taking the driver’s seat, and telling the passengers to fasten their seatbelts and be quiet.

8. Get Out of Yourself

According to Gandhi, the best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in service to others. But that doesn’t necessarily mean holding a soup ladle. Since my name and the word “kitchen” have filed a restraining order on each other, I like to think there are a variety of ways you can serve others.

Matthew 6:21 says “for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” In other words, start with the things you like to do. For me, that is saying a rosary for a depressed Beyond Blue reader, or visiting a priest-friend who needs encouragement and support in order to continue his ministry, or helping talented writer friends get published. I’d like to think this is service, too, because if those people are empowered by my actions, then I’ve contributed to a better world just as much as if I had dished out mashed potatoes to a homeless person at a shelter.

9. Exercise Your Funny Bone

“Time spent laughing is time spent with the gods,” says a Japanese proverb. So, if you’re with someone who thinks he’s God, the natural response would be to laugh! But seriously folks, research shows that laughing is good for your health. And, unlike exercise, it’s always enjoyable! The funniest people in my life are those who have been to hell and back, bought the t-shirt, and then accidentally shrunk it in the wash. Humor kept them alive–physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Remember, with a funny bone in place–even if it’s in a cast–everything is tolerable.

mkg

posted December 2, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Great post!!! I feel better already. I’m subscribing to you.

Elizabeth

posted December 2, 2010 at 3:09 pm

LOVE THIS!

Dan

posted December 2, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Thanks so much for this.
For me, time with my family is fun, but draining. The big let-down comes immediately afterward, when we get back home, my wife is off with her activities, and I’m fending for myself. I feel… very uncomfortable alone with my own thoughts, these days, but distraction doesn’t work so well, either. It leaves me with hours of anxiety.
I guess that just means everyone is different, and has his or her own set of problems with which to cope. (Yes, to quote Churchill, ending a sentence with a preposition is arrant pedantry “up with which I will not put.”)

lifebeyondbipolar

posted December 2, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Nice post!!! Despite all these suggestions, it is still hard for me through the holidays. My family is sometimes my toxic people. I love to see them and love the food and fellowship but at the same time, it is trigger city!!! These are some great ideas, however. I will keep them in mind this holiday season.

BellaTerra66

posted December 3, 2010 at 6:20 am

Therese, this is a GREAT post — and just in time! In fact, next year post it a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving! With that said — ya shouldn’t have written about helping talented writer friends get published. Wanna-be writers may be coming out your ears. LOL Wanna read my manuscript? LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Happy Holidays, Theresa. I hope these days are THE BEST for you!
Bella

Mary Anne Thompson

posted December 3, 2010 at 6:47 am

Bella,
Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking! I have several ideas for new books that I am working on for 2011. T is good, I go back thru Beyond Blue all the time and she is definitely one I would call on for help with editing, publishing….. ha!
T, you did it, opened your mouth, or this time put it in writing….we luv ya and while we do not want to become TOXIC or one of your triggers some of us may use you good intentions to improve our careers as writers ;)
Hope you are enjoying the first days of Christmas. I think of the 12 Bipolar Days of Christmas OFTEN, in fact my friend Connie and I started one of our own called the 12 Disabled Days of Christmas, both of us being disabled and on meds….will have to share the lyrics with u later if I don’t make it into a You Tube video for everyone to chuckle at.
Blessed Be my friend, Mary Anne

behandeling depressie

posted December 4, 2010 at 3:46 am

Very nice article thank you for such great tips the most important one is to sleep regularly , eating well and exercising will surely bring the change

karen hennisen

posted December 7, 2010 at 5:22 pm

This was great!!

Teeth Whitening

posted December 20, 2010 at 7:39 am

Thanks for sharing such nice article with us and as said in it “Time spent laughing is time spent with the gods,” is very beautiful

gold schmuck

posted December 20, 2010 at 7:42 am

Nice post the tips provided will surely help to deal with depression

natural liver cleanse

posted February 16, 2011 at 6:57 am

Great post nice said that the best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in service to others .This post will surelly help people suffering from depression.- natural liver cleanse

best fish oil

posted February 19, 2011 at 7:39 am

Nice post thanks for sharing
best fish oil

crise cardiaque

posted March 12, 2011 at 8:01 am

Almost all I can say is, I am not sure what to comment! Except needless to say, for the great tips which have been shared within this blog. I will think of a zillion fun methods to read the reports on this site.
crise cardiaque