Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue

Video: Put First Things First (On Time Management)

posted by Beyond Blue

Here’s my daily dilemma: how do I get the 48 tasks I need to accomplish done in the 15 hours that I have? It’s a bad math equation that never comes out right. The problem, I think, is that I categorize everything as “urgent” when it really isn’t. That’s what Stephen Covey says in his bestseller “The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People.” The third habit of highly successful people? Put first things first. Here’s how.

To view my YouTube video, click here.

Your Name

posted April 22, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Again I post…there is imho, a difference in depression and sadness.
If you ask a child to describe their feelings, they will say, happy, sad, glad, or mad. And believe it or not, that really is about the extent of feelings. Sadness is a natural thing we experience in life. People die, family disappoints, financial failures happen. All part of life.
For me, when my mom died in 2006, I wanted to be left alone to grieve and work, and do it right. So two years down the road, I would not still be dealing with it. But, no, people in my life who didn’t even go see my mom for years, would not let me grieve in my own way.
I had to be ‘slipping’ or drinking or something not to snap back after an exhausting several years of taking care of my mom.
Sadness is not always clinical depression.

Frank

posted April 23, 2009 at 7:15 am

OH how I struggle with time management. My job has everyone thinking their needs are urgent and important. Sometimes I think they would put them outside the box. My time management has de-evolved into who calls last, unfortunately. This is a timely reminder. Thanks Therese

Sunshine

posted April 23, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Hi, thanks for the video, it is my second “nudge” today on my need to rethink my organizational methods. The other “nudge” comes from the book “Organizing for the Creative Person” by Lehmkuhl and Lamping. They also mention Stephen Covey’s urgent/important boxes.
As a right-brained person, with timelessness as her focus, I am daily assaulted by the piles that spring apparently overnight, or by the deadlines that loom in front of me. I think I spend too much time on the urgent/not important instead of the important/not urgent until the important becomes urgent.
thanks again.

Your Name

posted April 23, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Dear, dear Therese,
Once again, the message is really for ME. I was feeling so very overwhelmed…now I can plan! Most every day I find some help from your postings. I am so grateful to have you visit me in my computer, you understand so much and help me to understand. My way to fight my depression is to keep just TOOOO busy….all crashed yesterday when there just simply were not enough hours in the day and some tasks had to be delegated, suddenly, when my 88 yr. old mother broke her leg, I had to get to the hospital, my 4 yr. old needed to be picked up from school and I had a meeting at 9:00am (that I missed) and a luncheon that I did make (before the bad stuff hit). Thank you for your kind words of encouragement and most of all, thank you for helping us be kinder to ourselves.
Hugs, Granny B.

pamela

posted April 23, 2009 at 7:31 pm

She was not speaking very loud , I could hardly hear her and I have good hearing

melzoom

posted April 23, 2009 at 8:13 pm

I read this book in 2000 and made a list of principles as he suggested that autumn. I review it yearly and tweak as need be. Those principles are how I can separate urgency from priority.

Your Name

posted April 23, 2009 at 9:49 pm

You are absolutely right ,Therese,first things first,put sign for those urgent needs,emergency for those things that needs our immediate
attention.My priority is my brain packing with knowledge,information,connection,my most precious time of sleeping is
given away to make room for my social interaction as well as my personal improvement and development,my job came second,my children
and my duty as a mom,well i can juggle while i am busy with my most
important guesting at my home business!I am feeling easy hosting my
good nice friends at the comfort of my home,chuckle with them,exchanging
ideas,making comments,good fighting or arguing with them,good crying
upon each others shoulders right at the comfort of my home!Computers
and friends now a days are easy to connect,just open the windows and
blah,blah with understanding friends,too!no more driving to meet them
anywhere,right Therese?I love the computer age,it is very convenient
economical,and you can actually save more of wrinkles coming out of your face,only a window is open and you can settle.Sooo…first thing
for me,in conclusion is my opening the window and everything else
is being taken care of,without delay,we are never again BIG spenders,a window is a place to be,that is my priority!at least for now.

SuzanneWA

posted April 23, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Being on disability and having ALL my time to myself by NOT working outside the house, I have found “time management” to be VERY difficult. I am a “computer addict,” in that I check emails and do survey and mystery shop work over the computer to the point that it’s taken over my afternoon-into-nigiht routine. I haven’t been OUT at night for ANY reason, mainly because I feel “tied” to the Internet.
However, yesterday, I took a whole afternoon and night to be with a new friend! This was particularly important to me in that I “forgot” for a loooong moment that I even HAD anything else to do. He took my mind off my “work,” and put it squarely on how to make ME feel good about myself.
I still had time on the computer after he left, so nothing, in essence, was lost. I will TRY to find more “me” time in the second quadrant, and, hopefully, negotiate time in the third quadrant to be good to myself.
Thank you, Therese, for this very special video; it made me look at how I manage my time, and what I am able to do about it. You are truly a blessing.
Your sister in Christ,
SuzanneWA

Leeann Danzig

posted May 1, 2009 at 7:34 am

Therese, you have done it again helping those of us that are overwhelmed and trying better time management. Most days more so the last couple of days I have been writing “to do lists” I am still working on that list from three days ago. The point that I am trying to make is what you said in the video is that we need to make time for ourselfs as well as prioritizing. Needless to say I am on the list for the third day but what I realized from one of your past videos in that it is ok not to get through it in one day. I use to be a person that had to get it done no matter what on that day, now If if takes me three days to continue checking off then I will do that so that I can make time for myself and family. I have this dilema right now about taking time off to go visit my mom in Florida and forget about aa important task even though my husband has offered to help me in anyway so that I can go visit with her. I took on this responsibility and feel it is up to me to complete. That is what I am stuggling with it is great that my husband will do what ever he can to make my Florida trip happen but I don’t know if I should just not do it and go but then I would be failing at a task that I took on. It’s not that I don’t think my husband can do it, it is just that I took it on but then again they should understand that I need a vacation too. So do I go and not do it or let my husband do it and follow up while in Florida on my laptop.
God bless

AShley

posted March 5, 2010 at 9:47 am

I wish I could put off email until noon! My role is that of a clown–juggle many balls at one time, make it look easy, and don’t forget to smile.

Michael

posted March 5, 2010 at 10:32 pm

I think it is important to invest time in Quadrant II – the things that are important but not urgent. Exercise, therapy, spiritual developement etc. can be neglected in the short term, but you will pay a price in the long term. Then it moves into Quadrant I by no choice of your own. A heart attack, a severe depression, etc. requiring immediate action.

Time Management

posted March 10, 2010 at 5:38 am

It was briefly but clearly explained as well, Therese! Lots of us should learn how to manage our time effectively because everyday tasks can easily consume us, sometimes creating more stress and making us less productive. Thanks for sharing, great site!

Emeric of Gift Ideas for Men

posted May 17, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Your post is amusing to me. I have never seen someone discuss time management from your angle. I am such a “planning freak.” I list down everything and I cannot do away without my planner. It makes my life organized. I could not even imagine going through my daily routines without planning everything out. This is why I love to explore related topics about time management. I honestly believe that it is a life changing element in anybody who will just put their minds to it.