Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue

Psalm 91: God Is With You

posted by Beyond Blue

I recently came upon this message on my Beliefnet homepage:

I have bipolar as well, but I am usually more depressed than manic. I fight every day to look for something to cling to do I do not take my life. I grasp for anything to make it through another day. But I am still here.

My heart goes out to you, anonymous person. And I wanted to share an important piece of my spiritual armor: Psalm 91. My mom kept her Bible in our living room marked to this passage. I would sit there when no one was around and read it over and over again, soaking in every single word of consolation. It used to give me great peace. It stilll does. Especially when I’m in that place that you just described.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress,?my God, in whom I trust.”
Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare?and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers,?and under his wings you will find refuge;?his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night,?nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,?nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side,?ten thousand at your right hand,?but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes?and see the punishment of the wicked.
If you make the Most High your dwelling– even the LORD, who is my refuge-
then no harm will befall you,?no disaster will come near your tent.
For he will command his angels concerning you?to guard you in all your ways;
they will lift you up in their hands,?so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;?you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
“Because he loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him;?I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
He will call upon me, and I will answer him;?I will be with him in trouble,?I will deliver him and honor him.
With long life will I satisfy him?and show him my salvation.”

valerie

posted August 28, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Wow, wow, wow! I gotta tell you how amazing God is. Yesterday (and the past week) I was having thoughts of suicide. They were thoughts like I’ve never had before (more obsessive in nature)and images of killing myself. The first awesome thing: My mom just “happens” to show up at my door when I was feeling like this and thankfully, we were able to take a walk and divert my mind. Second awesome thing: This blog! Really, God is amazing. Here I sign on to the computer and Beyond Blue is one of my “things” that comes up on my Yahoo Page and I see this: Psalm 91: God is with you.
Well, that in and of itself spoke to me. But then I read it and what a true comfort. Imagine God taking you under his wings (literally, figuratively) and just sheltering you, keeping you from all harm and danger.
I don’t want to cry because I actually have make up on today and I have to go to my cognitive therapy group but geez louise, that to me right there proves to me that God exists (not that I questioned it but some I know do). These are NOT coincidences people. This is God working.
Wow, not normally on a soapbox like that but thought it was important.
Thank you Therese for putting this Psalm on here TODAY! It was just perfect and very providential.
Love Valerie

ssminnow16

posted August 28, 2008 at 2:28 pm

I have just this week posted on my journal, that I was having a hard time also. I hate saying the “S”(suicide) word because it upsets the people that love me so much. Anyway, after I posted I was looking at an online devotional I get from the First Methodist Church, and this was the suggested bible reading for the day, Isaia 43:1-7 “But now thus says the LORD, He who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy one of Israel, your Savior. I give Egypt as your ransom, Ethiopia and Seba in exchange for you. Because you are precious in my sight, and honored, and I love you, I give people in return for you, nations in exchange for your life. Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and from the west I will gather you; I will say to the north, “Give them up,” and to the south “Do not withold; bring my sons from far away and my daughters from the end of the earth–everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.” After I read that I went back on beliefnet and posted the bible verse, because it was so wonderfully perfect for the mood I was in.I was SO COMFORTED. It’s so odd how God gets these messages to you at JUST the right time and in just the right way. It saved my life and I just had to share, it could save someone else’s. In His Name, Joy

blessed

posted August 28, 2008 at 4:16 pm

i have always picked up feathers. since i was a little kid. a few years back in a new age shop, i was told that it is a good sign to find a feather. since then, even though i am not a new age type, when i find a feather, it is a reminder to me to count my blessings, to look around and take a deep breath and know i can go on. i suffer from depression, and they have become a tangible thing that i can hold when i need to reach that higher power. then one day i saw a quote from this psalm, “he will cover you with his feathers and under his wings you will find refuge” – and i was blown away. i wrote it down and it became a mantra i said when times were tough. months later, i wanted to know the whole psalm. i got an old – like 100 years old- copy of Psalms that had been in the family all these years. not knowing which Psalm i was looking for, i just started reading them all. and i found another great passage, and wanted to mark it for later, after i found the one i was looking for. the book has a ribbon bookmark, so i carefully turned to the page it had been marking for probably well over half a century, so i could move the ribbon without damaging anything. and as it opened to the page that had been marked for so long, my eyes fell on the words “he will cover you with his feathers…”. i read the Psalm, left the ribbon where it was, and put the book back on the shelf and went to bed, feeling an amazing peace. so thanks for the post of some of my most treasured and comforting words. they keep weaving in and out of my life, along with my trail of feathers that i pick up and tuck here and there as reminders of my blessings. thanks for the post, and Beyond Blue.

Barbara

posted August 28, 2008 at 6:13 pm

It is hard to explain the feelings that come over you when you come across a particular piece of scripture that fits your very moment. I read the above entries with great interest and joy.
I’ve moved into a new job that I know is the one God has been preparing me for during the last year of hardships. But there have been times over the past two weeks that I’ve wondered if I am up to the work before me – so many new procedures to learn. But I keep Jer. 29:11 in the front of my brain, and it, too, gives me great comfort: “For I know that plans that I have for you, says the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” For me it is like the feathers and wings of God. I am not forgotten or alone.

valerie

posted August 28, 2008 at 7:45 pm

Thank you all who provided additional verses that gave you comfort (I still have to look at yesterday’s blog because I think it was about scripture quotes when you are afraid).
I’m adding these to a list so I have them readily available to me when things get really rough.
Thanks. Valerie

cheryl3

posted August 29, 2008 at 8:41 am

Hey,
The older I get the more I try to stop worrying about what’s gonna happen tommorrow because before I knew Jesus(not just parked myself in a Church on Sunday)I was always worried about what I had to do everyday.Here’s how The Lord is working in my life.I am 48 and Mom to a 9 year old .Here’s my schedule for the foreseeable future:
Sunday:Church,where I volunteer to work in the nursery on a regular basis and all the parents of children in Compass Kids (used to be called Sunday School)have to work regularly.
Monday: work from 9:00-1:00in Parent’s Morning Out(15month to 3yr olds)at night take my son to Boy Scouts(his first year where I’ll probably end up helping out!)Drive son to school and pick him up:
Tuesday:Day off?drive son to school and pick him up
Wednesday:drive son to school and pick up.Drive him to Awana(kind of like boy scouts and girl scouts for Jesus)I volunteered(listening to Bible verses for 5yrs,this year had to let it go cause I’m burned out.)Now I’m thinking Boy Scout volunteering will take it’s place!Thursday: take son to school and pick up.Work in P.M.O.
Friday: Go clean at my Church (which is my 2nd job at the Church)
In between,possible surgery on my foot(how I’m gonna pull this off and still do everything else ,I have no idea :) :0
And that’s not all,I’m looking at $7,000.00 worth of dental work which I will have to get done on Saturdays so it won’t interfere with stuff going on during the week!
Now,does anyone else feel better? :0 :0 :)
And to top it all off I’m a single mother !
I’m finding that if you can roll with the changes ,you will be fine.Trust in Jesus every day and know He has you in the palm of His mighty hand and He will give you strength for today and peace that surpasses all understanding.He will let you know what’s important and give you rest.
love and peace ,
cheryl3
And do not try to live more than 1 day at a time because that’s all He gives us.I believe He knows that’s all we can handle!

Peg

posted August 29, 2008 at 9:34 am

Barbara, best wishes on your new job. Hang in there!

Barbara formerly Babs

posted August 29, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Thanks, Peg! Each day gets a bit easier, and knowing that I am where I’m supposed to be is a tremendous feeling. When it is right, you know it is right.

Terry Finley

posted August 5, 2009 at 6:54 pm

God is with us and helps us resolve our
mental conflicts. The book of Psalms is
a great testimony to that. Thanks for
the thought here and for the comments.

joanna Mclaughlin

posted August 6, 2009 at 9:36 am

Thanks for the comforting scripture. I should memorise this. So that it is in my heart. Because the heart knows the truth. Thanks again.

Barbara Bowman

posted August 6, 2009 at 8:56 pm

I read the entry marked “Barbara” and was surprised that I’d posted.
A year later from my first postings. I am now entering the second year of the job I had hoped for last year. God has provided in so many ways, and continues to lead and draw me closer to Himself. I am so thankful…

Larry Parker

posted August 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm

I know the Psalms give so many people so much comfort, but to me they are great poetry … and, from a depression point of view, not a lot more.
The Psalms basically are promises God makes to us if we keep His covenant. The problem, of course, is that when we are depressed, we feel like God has broken His promises, no matter what the truth is of our own behavior and/or religious beliefs.
In the Judeo-Christian tradition, I much prefer the story of Jacob’s Ladder in Genesis, Ecclesiastes, Job, 2 Corinthians 12 — not to mention the Passion narrative in the four Gospels — as examples of wrestling with God, and how His Presence can co-exist with the great mystery of human suffering.

Mary

posted February 1, 2010 at 9:48 am

Thank you for reminding me of this verse.

Naomi

posted February 2, 2010 at 10:31 am

I came across this Beliefnet site and had not realized that I could make a comment. I just wanted to say that a favorite verse of mine that could go with Psalms 91 would be Joshua 1:9
“Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed; for the LORD THY GOD IS WITH THEE withersoever thou goest.”
Sounds to me like he’s there whether you think he is or not. My brother took his life when he was just 18 years old. Bottom Line: YOU, Whoever you are DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to take your own life. Only God dictates when, where and how. I have been through so much in my life, but God has always been there. My mother taughter me as a young girl that all you have to do is talk to him. You can talk to him in your car or silently at your desk at work. Talk to him about your problems…. I hope you all have a great day… And look up once in a while, there is a whole world to behold out there!

Skylark

posted February 2, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Another favorite Biblical verse that has helped during those “dark
night of the soul” times is Jeremiah 29:11 – “For I know the plans I
have for you..plans for welfare and not for evil,to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me and I will hear you. You will seek and find me, when you seek me with all your heart!
Peace be yours in abundance!

al

posted February 4, 2010 at 5:17 am

To all those interested in Psalms…
Have you read the Psalms Code?
A complete and free download in pdf format is available at:
Enjoy.

Serena

posted February 10, 2010 at 12:45 pm

With God, all things are possible. Draw upon His Strength through prayer, keep Him in your thoughts. Ask for faith, which is the “substance of things not seen”. This too, shall pass, and when you get through it, you will be stronger, happier, and wonder, what was I thinking. Don’t stop blessings from falling upon your head. At this moment, I am praying for you.

mary

posted February 12, 2010 at 10:50 am

I like reading the scriptures everyday it helps u out in ur daily life and whats going on with u, me i have a lot of things going on but as i read the scriptures everyday things are beginning to open up to me what probably should have happen a long time ago but i do enjoy it after u read it it puts u right into thinking mode like what am i doing when i should be doing something diffrent.

rita

posted March 3, 2010 at 10:59 am

dear god,
dear god that nancy conrad went to the hospital by two days ago that the doctor specialist test at her and her body is very stiff what was cause? please god protection her and right give her prescription.
jesus his name amen
rita

rita

posted March 3, 2010 at 11:01 am

DEAR GOD
IM VERY WORRIED ABOUT MY GLANDS AS THROAT IS VERY SWOLLEN WHAT IS CAUSE?? ALLERGIC TO FOODS?? I DONT HAVE A HEALTH INSURANCE AND NO JOB TOO PLEASE GOD HELP ME TO GET WELL FIGHT BACK JESUS HIS AMEN
RITA CUSCAVAGE

Marie

posted March 17, 2010 at 11:37 am

I have a 16 year old daughter, and she is becoming disrespectful and disobediant. She is a good kid overall, but when I give her chore lists she doesn’t complete them, she is a messy kid and I like order. I am trying to be a good mother, I try to teach her to be responsible and outgoing, to apply herself. It is hard for me to trust her although I would like to very much. How do I correct her behavior without her resenting me? I am a single parent of two, I work difficult hours sometimes, and I attend school. They are involved in activities that I have to transport them to and from. My life is so busy and hectic sometimes and I don’t have anyone to share the load with. I don’t feel sorry for myself, I just work through things and I want to do what is best for my children. I am there for everything they do, yet I still feel like it’s not enough. I had an argument with my daughter this morning and I feel guilty because I feel like I contrtibuted to her having a bad day. The things I addressed to her needed to be addressed at that time, perhaps I should have waited and talked her later. When she back talks it provokes me, but I don’t want to be overpowering so I tell her what the Bible says regarding disobediance. I just wonder if it registers in her spirit and heart.