Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue

Video: 5 Ways to Zap an Addiction

posted by Beyond Blue

Oh yeah. Here we go again. As I’ve repeated on Beyond Blue, I live my life in a state of constant addiction. So I’m getting pretty creative in how I manage to control them. Here’s a refresher on five basics. Listen up!To view my YouTube video, “Beyond Blue: 5 Ways to Zap an Addiction,” click here.To read more Beyond Blue, go to www.beliefnet.com/beyondblue, and to get to Group Beyond Blue, a support group at Beliefnet Community, click here.

R.

posted May 28, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Kudos and thanks for making this video to remind us to:
1. Take action
2. Take lots of action!
We have to remember that we can help ourselves with our problems by taking action. We need multiple ways to deal with the complex issues, and what we “want” is not necessarily what we need or what is good for us. I do believe, in due course, we do rid ourselves of most of our addictions, but it does take time and like you said, we have to remind ourselves of the pitfalls of the behavior.
It’s easier to focus on the problem than on the solution, and it’s a web I think many of us get caught in.
Thanks, Therese, for sharing these insights and tips to your readers and listeners! Keep up the good work! :-)

Peg

posted May 28, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Thanks for remembering my cry for help, Therese. I have been off the smokes since around Mother’s Day and am doing pretty well (guess because I was really sick of the whole routine and needed a change, bigtime). Now my goal and challenge is to not gain weight and even lose some by exercising more and eating right. So far it does feel good to get at least one of the addiction monkeys off my back!

Elizabeth

posted May 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Therese,
Thank you for this video! It couldn’t have come at a better time as I’m struggling with co-dependent relationships and over eating. The tips I hadn’t thought of were writing down how bad you feel after you’ve succumbed to an addiction and the others are really good refreshers. : )

marilyn

posted May 29, 2008 at 12:02 am

thanks therese for another insightful vidieo they really help me to things in another perspective.

Margaret Balyeat

posted May 29, 2008 at 6:38 am

How I wish I had been aware that relationships/people can be addictions before I got married! It wasn’t until my divorce was final that one of my siblings gifted me with the book Codpendent No More! It REALLY HELPED ME bwgin TO UNDERSTAND THAT i WAS BETTER OFF WITHOUT HIM IN MY LIFE(Emphasis on the “begin” because it’s a long process!
Like my other addictions–chocolate and cigarettes–that relationship wasn’t good for me.
Somehow, Therese, you always manage to touch the right subjects for us. For me, at least, the problem with my above-mentioned addictions is that I can’t seem to find the DESIRE to conquer them, which makes it all the more difficult to do so. I join the others in thanking you for being brave enough to “bare” your addictions to the entire cyber population. You are an example to us all, and I bless you for it.
Writing out the pain is anEXCELLENT idea, especially for those of us (and we are several here at B.B.) who have a fondness for “putting pen to paper”
I especially liked the step of digging deep to find out what hole in the soul a particular addiction is attempting to fill. After thinking only for a moment, I realized that for me, ALL of my addictions(past and present) are due to my inability to love and nurture myself. I suspect that might be true of many of us. Easier to name than to fix! But at least self-awareness is a place to start.

Lori

posted May 29, 2008 at 10:50 am

True addictions?
I dont know if we control true addictions. If we had control, we would not be addicted. When we give up hope, and realize we are addicted and powerless and need help, thats when we can gain control and take action.
Habits? Now, those we can totally control by chosing our behaviors. If we blame, we can do nothing. Being accountable is the first action.
I think we shouldnt mix the word addiction with bad habits. Two very different circumstances. Bad habits are damaging and may eventually do me in, but my addictions are pretty quick killers.
Have a good and inspirational day
Focus on and love some body deeply, you’re world will be made easier.
Lori

Nina

posted May 30, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Therese I am new to this site. I found the video really helpful interms of my smoking behaviour and analysing why exactly am I getting prompted to pick a cigarette every single day. Just want to tell you thank you..
——————–
Nina
Comprehensive resources for those looking for recovery from addiction. http://www.addictionrecovery.net

Ta

posted June 1, 2008 at 12:14 am

Thank you, for covering this topic. I definitly need to reread Codependant No More, it’s been a long time.
Tania

trish

posted June 2, 2008 at 9:39 am

This is exactly what I needed to hear this morning.

Hec H

posted June 2, 2008 at 10:29 am

I am a first-timer on Beliefnet Beyond Blue, in recovery and a graduate student in counseling. Found your 5 suggestions to be real and helpful while in a time of need. Thanks for your altruistic effort to helping others like yourself and me, too. Blessings and Namaste, HH

Liz

posted June 2, 2008 at 11:17 am

For me it is n-e-v-e-r about the person or substance.
Also, the 1st place I go is prayer, helps me to remember a shred of humility…..
I cannot do this thing called life on life’s terms alone, no matter how much I want to! I need network of friends + G*d.
Good stuff, Therese,
Thanks!
Liz

April Rose

posted June 2, 2008 at 1:44 pm

I am an addict myself and appreciate that you have put this video out there for many to read. Thank you.

Victoria L Albert

posted June 2, 2008 at 2:51 pm

I love this series and it has helped me immensely over the past year in so many of my struggles. I agree wholeheartedly with Therese’s advice, but the “first” place to go is prayer and it should be made a sustaining action…I say this with the utmost humility, being someone who struggles on many levels with addiction, depression, and anxiety.

Chloe

posted June 3, 2008 at 9:14 am

Going to the experts is a wise, wise step in recovery. I am reading a very insightful book and wanted to share it with you. “Love Is A Choice” by Dr. Robert Hemfelt, Dr. Frank Minirth, and Dr. Paul Meier. This book also has a companion workbook. I hope someone out there will benefit as much as I have–and I’m only halfway through. It isn’t easy, but the best things in life are worth working for, right? My prayers are with you all in your journey.
P.S. A quote from the book I found especially insightful: “Depression is anger turned inside-out.” Just a little food for thought…

Cathy

posted June 4, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Therese — you are to be admired for what you are doing to help others — how I wish that folks who are clients of my employment would or could hear you speak of your struggles and suggestions – I know it would be helpful to them. Please keep sharing and keep your Faith — our Lord is always there and wants you to go to Him.

Judy

posted February 11, 2009 at 9:24 am

I really like what you are doing Therese! Very cool! and obviously very helpful to others. I can so relate because I have been an addict too. How I like to describe myself now that I have received Christ into my life is that “I am a blood-bought child of God who struggles” with certain hurts habits and hang-ups. I don’t define myself by those things now. I have a new identity in Christ…….the same one He has. I am holy, blameless and beyond God’s (and now my own) disapproval. (Colossians 1:21,22)
My recovery journey has happened because of Christ in my life and my use of all the tools of recovery-the phone, recovery meetings, writing, practicing anonymity, prayer and meditation, a plan of action,self-help literature and service to others. Without using the tools, I would have Christ, yes, but I would also still have all my hurts, habits and hang-ups.
So, I’m thankful to God for the new life I’ve received through Christ and for His directing me to these tools to get healthy in Him.
Thanks for listening and for the opportunity to share.
Blessings in recovery, Therese and all who read.