Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue

Video: Lessons on Letting Go

posted by Beyond Blue

All the comments from my Monday post, “Dear God: My Peace I Give You,” have got me thinking more about just how we might go about getting acquiring “peace.” I also talked about this with Gus Lloyd, host of “Seize the Day” on Sirius Radio, the Catholic Channel yesterday. Here are some more thoughts on peace, and letting go … if there is a short cut to sanity or not.

Larry Parker

posted April 23, 2008 at 3:32 pm

Therese:
I’m glad you called Gus on his “faith = freedom from fear” comment — it’s not that simple although there is also some truth to it — yet it sounds like you largely agree with it.
There’s a different paradigm to look at this with, IMO.
We are human beings. We CAN’T be free from fear. It’s the human condition.
What we **can** do is to develop the emotional, mental (and yes, religious) strength to look our fears in the eye and say, “Yes, you are real, but I am bigger than you, and I will persist and endure in spite of you.”
BTW, the golf analogy is all wrong (LOL). Making a 50-foot, double-break putt takes skill. A hole-in-one is blind luck, as any pro from Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson on down could tell you.

BRENT

posted April 27, 2008 at 7:19 am

You have reached the right thinking, on letting go. I have gone to church dailey for about 20yrs and it is easy to say we are letting go. The most important step as like you say is to leave it with god. If you let go and then take it back two hrs latter or two days latter it is hard on you. It takes pratice you get better and better at it and all at once it is gonne. What ever else you are trying to get rid of just see yourself as handling it the way you would want to and it will happen.. God bless and keep up the good work..

Aileen Hall

posted April 27, 2008 at 11:45 am

I too struggle with letting go. I have asked Jesus to take this from me and at that moment feel some peace, but as the the previous writer said, I pick it back up again.I think it’s because I feel responsible and feel there must be something different I could be doing, something I could have done differently, someplace where as a mother, I dropped the ball, spoiled my child, wasn’t strong enough and so on. I think so much of my pain comes from being spread too thin, trying to opperate on too many channels, having too many concerns and energy enough for none of them.I know I was meant for a simpler life and I have had to live beyond my means emotionally and physically. I always tell people I am a one horse gal, meaning I should have been a homemaker and not a career woman and mother and wife and daughter etc etc. I think what I need to do is let go of giving some of the energy I have needed to put into my job and try to get by giving my job less of me., physically and emotionally. I need to give myself to those things that matter most to me now before the time has slipped away and the chance to live in “who I really am and want to be” has passed.
I will try practicing giving it to Him and I will try not to pick it up. Maybe if I visualize that picking it up would be like picking up a hot coal or a poison ivy vine, maybe that image would help when I see it there and begin to blame myself, or think the answers to all of this need to come from me.

denise

posted April 27, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Hi, my name is Denise.
I am writing from Brasil ( country).
Today I needed work and tryied stay on church exaclly on the sermon time. Was not possible, when I arrived the service was almost finished.
Well, was not on God´s plan listen the sermon but listen you Sister.
Yes, some things, a lot of things it´s impossible keep with me, my addiction for example, my control, my relationships, my work.
Do not take back? Devolop faith, trust?
Believe is not trust. I trust enough?
I loved the sugestions, but what I most loved was the honest way that you Sister talked, came from the deep of your soul.
Thanks for the lesson.
Denise

r

posted April 27, 2008 at 1:57 pm

you’ve substituted one addiction for another, it seems.
Perhaps you could try to make the thing that bothers you,figure this out, if not right, then better than before, You’ll, probably with assistance, need to make a plan to solve this thing. Then, you’ll be able to let go of the addiction(s) that provides a defense to that “thing” that constantly weighs upon your being, soul, or mind.

Shelley

posted April 27, 2008 at 2:06 pm

How do you let go? I try but it seems that by letting go that I might be letting go of a piece of me. I have lost so much already. My mom passed on…how do I let go, my children are on their own and not with me anymore…how do I let go? Yet if I don’t I feel so anxious and blue that sometimes I think that I’m just going to explode. I did explode one time and thought that I will never get myself back again and it’s so scary to think I may be heading that way again. I don’t like being alone. I am single, 48 and college student who is not doing that well because it seems like I can’t concentrate on anything and feel like I really don’t have a purpose or vision of where I would like to see myself going. How do I let go? I’ve tried, let go and let God. Maybe someday I’ll get it right.

jack mcabee

posted April 27, 2008 at 5:12 pm

I CERTAINLY BELIEVE IN LETTING GO OF OUR PROBLEMS TO GOD THRU JESUS. HOWEVER IF GODS WILL FOR US CONFLICTS WITH THE ITEM WE ARE LETTING GO,THE PEACE WE ARE LOOKING FOR MAY BE DIFFERENT FROM THE PEACE WE RECEIVE. I ALSO FEEL AFTER WE LET GO OF A PROBLEM, DEPENDING ON THE PROBLEM, WE MAY STILL NEED TO BE INVOLVED IN TAKING ACTION TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM. FOR EXAMPLE IF WE HAVE A HEALTH PROBLEM, LETTING IT GO TO GOD STILL REQUIRES US TO SEEK MEDICAL CARE, TAKE CARE OF OUR BODIES AS TO DIET AND EXCERCISE ETC. WHEN WE LET GO TO GOD WE THEN HAVE TO PRAY THAT GOD LEAD US TO THE ACTIONS WE NEED TO TAKE.ITS SIMILAR TO A PARENT OF A CHILD WHO IS NOT DOING GOOD IN SCHOOL. THE CHILD CAN LET GO OF THAT PROBLEM TO THEIR PARENT AND THE PARENT CAN MAKE A CHILD PUT ASIDE TIME FOR STUDY BUT THEY CANT MAKE THEM COMPREHEND WHAT TEY ARE STUDYING.

David

posted April 27, 2008 at 6:48 pm

very nic etestimony but certainly I didn’t get any feeling of peace being possible – as a matte rof fact she demonstrated this – that peac eis a momentary thing – while lif eis meant to be constant conflict/interfacing with what is important to show that we are human/christian/alive – and so I see that peac eis not possible totally, for a lifetime – but for the moment and what we then do is move on – and what is important about moving on is the sharing of our lives with others/even ourselves, whether alcoholics or simply aligned with a depressive mood, there are those moments (of peace) and when they come – they come – and we move on,
and so thanks for that insight – altho I do not believe that was the intent of the video
Dave

Eckhart

posted April 28, 2008 at 12:27 am

God could and would…if He were sought!

Eckhart

posted April 28, 2008 at 1:05 am

Here’s an action plan that I would suggest on your journey in recovery: First of all, be honest with yourself, your addiction, your character defects and shortcomings. Accept your powerlessness over your addiction. Trust and believe that a Power greater than yourself can set you free from the chaos and despair of active addiction, and extract you from the plunder of hopelessness and insanity.
Surrender to God, who I call my Higher Power, and allow Him to guide your way, and show you the route, the truth, and the luminosity of the emergence of your essence. Live in hopeful expectancy, and by no means give up the new initiative and tranquility that you have integrated into your recuperation through the grace of God. Hope for only the best, while surmounting all difficulties ahead, believing that nothing is unattainable under the hand of God. Acquire a strong, solid, lasting faith in God, and in your aptitude to cobble together sound decisions to breath positive change in your recovery.
Faith believes in the unknown, trusting that God will put aside your perceived limitations, and allow you to accomplish your goals. Faith is knowing that if you continue to be responsible in your journey, and to never admit defeat, that God will mold you, and arise in you the power, courage and strength necessary to possess the desires of your heart.

cwhite-parker

posted April 28, 2008 at 10:19 am

Let go and let God is all well and good if you believe that God will help you. God helps those that help themselves… which means no matter what all you can do is pray and hope (and if you still have any faith left there will be relief). What about those of us that have no faith that God will take care of us??
I understand being single, 48, and all alone. Alone is not good.
The rub is that GOD let this happen. Yes I we have free choice and should know how to make better – how does this knowledge help us to let go??? To get over the pain, the feeling of not belonging, the long nights alone???

leeann

posted April 28, 2008 at 10:27 am

I am in a foriegn third world country for the last 9 years,the father of my twins is from this country and he has never been able to get the visa to enter into the USA where I grew up(I an Australian,but only lived there when I was 2 years old).I am soooooo burned out here and my husband has moved to another town to work as there is no work for him where we live.I have to stay so my kids can finish out the school year.I don´t feel like I can go on living here in this country.I have no friends and have no real desire to even leave the house.I really want to move to a civilized country,but the problem is I have no formal training and am scared to go with the twins and not be able to provide for them.My husband can make alot of money with his profession outside of this country,but here he makes the minimum which barley covers the rent.I am so miserable and after 9 years of having my life on pause,each year trying unsuccesfully for the visa,i am just tierd,sad,empty,and praying to God just doesn´t seem to help me anymore!I feel so helpless and I really don´t know what to do any more.I am numb and emotionless.My kids are very demanding and I practically have no life.My husband is a total non conversational person and because he comes from this country he does not understand how to conect emotionally with a woman,or be simpathetic to there need.This is a very macho,men are the king and woman clean and cook type of country.Is there no way out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan Guinta

posted April 28, 2008 at 11:55 am

I am also a recovering alcoholic with 10 years sobriety. If
only I could give my other problems to God and just let go. I do this and then I take it back.
The problem I’m having now is trying to let go of finding another job if that’s God’s Will for me. I’m 63 and I’ve been “displaced” out of a job as a Mortgage Loan Officer for obvious reasons. I have been looking for a job since last October; I’ve been on a good 25 interviews, and nothing. I’ve applied for part-time and other jobs that pay as little as $8.00 per hr. to no avail. I keep asking, is God trying to tell me something?
Your message got to me and I’m going to try over and over again to give it up and turn it over to God by raising my arms as you did.
God Bless you!! Susan

Sunshine

posted April 30, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Thank you for opening my eyes as to the “it takes two” to keep on top (or aware) of, or ahead of this illness. As one who “feels things deeply” married to a chronic depressive, I sometimes forget to make him aware of the slope he’s heading down, and he forgets to remind me that I’m heading for the roller coaster. So, I need to be more aware of the telltale signs in order to avoid the ‘crash and burn’ that has happened most of our relationship.