Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue

The Fern and the Bamboo

posted by Beyond Blue

Because there were over 80 responses to my post about the poem ‘Footprints,’ I wanted to share a few other inspirational quotes, sayings, or stories that have given me strength.
The Story of the Fern and the Bamboo was just sent to me by my guardian angel, Ann, and it so reminded me of my conversations with God during my depression. When Ann forwarded it to me she wrote, “This is certainly true of our lives, Therese.” I hope that’s the case. Beyond Blue has certainly allowed me the opportunity to sprout in ways I didn’t know that I could. Here’s the story.

The Fern and the Bamboo
One day I decided to quit…I quit my job, my relationship, my spirituality…. I wanted to quit my life. I went to the woods to have one last talk with God.
“God”, I said. “Can you give me one good reason not to quit?”
His answer surprised me.
“Look around”, He said. “Do you see the fern and the bamboo?”
“Yes”, I replied.
“When I planted the fern and the bamboo seeds, I took very good care of them. I gave them light. I gave them water. The fern quickly grew from the earth. Its brilliant green covered the floor. Yet nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo.

In the second year the fern grew more vibrant and plentiful. And again, nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo.
“In year three there was still nothing from the bamboo seed. But I would not quit. The same in year four.
“Then in the fifth year, a tiny sprout emerged from the earth. Compared to the fern, it was seemingly small and insignificant.
But just six months later, the bamboo rose to over 100 feet tall.
It had spent the five years growing roots. Those roots made it strong and gave it what it needed to survive. I would not give any of my creations a challenge it could not handle.
“Did you know, my child, that all this time you have been struggling, you have actually been growing roots? I would not quit on the bamboo. I will never quit on you.
“Don’t compare yourself to others.” He said. “The bamboo had a different purpose than the fern. Yet they both make the forest beautiful.
“Your time will come”, God said to me. “You will rise high”
“How high should I rise?” I asked.
“How high will the bamboo rise?” He asked in return.
“As high as it can?” I questioned
“Yes.” He said, “Give me glory by rising as high as you can.”
I left the forest, realizing that God will never give up on me. And He will never give up on you.
Never regret a day in your life.
Good days give you happiness; bad days give you experiences; both are essential to life.
–Author Unknown

Wendi

posted July 9, 2007 at 3:22 pm

I needed this today. Thanks.

katy

posted July 9, 2007 at 10:46 pm

This is exactly what i needed. my 18 yr old son is stuck, as he read this i could see a tear in his eye. THANKYOU

Anonymous

posted July 9, 2007 at 11:14 pm

WOW! This helps me to see clearer and appreciate all my life’s experiences. Thank you, God.

Patti Ann Sigler

posted July 10, 2007 at 6:13 am

Thank You, I was afraid of my body betraying me again, Have not slept for 2 nights…Bamboo has a special meaning to me (especially this week),it was no accident, this was planted for me to find.

Mary

posted July 10, 2007 at 10:53 am

This is what everybody need to live each day of their lives. I know Katrina was a bad thing, but she thought me how to have patience in life and see what God can do for you. He has opened many doors for me through my rebuilding. He not only helped to me to rebuild my home, He also helped me to rebuild my life with Him. In everything I do, I ask Him what’s best and when things happens I ask Him, “What can I learn from it.” You see whenever you put God first in your Life, alot can happen.
Love and Prayers to All,
Mary July 10, 2007

oceangirl1

posted July 10, 2007 at 9:40 pm

That was a really nice illustration. It would be very helpful for parents of handicapped children. Actually, I think I will send a copy to my sister-in-law who has an autistic son! Thanks!

kathy

posted July 11, 2007 at 9:02 am

hello i read these things everyday i am in a bad depression and cant seem to get out i pray talk to god everything and it wont go away it seems like one thing after anther goes wrong and i sit there and let it just pray for me its been a hard road,,thank you

Alison Whittington

posted July 12, 2007 at 12:49 pm

This is a wonderful story.
(I discussed about this very same concept, but using the analogy comparing perennials to creativity, recently with friends. Because I was thinking about planting a perennial garden (having ADD means an annual garden would exist for one year at most!) but I read somewhere that it’s better to plant them in the fall so they can have months to build strong roots; if you plant them in the spring, they put all their energy into showy flowers, and don’t become as strong.)

starr

posted July 12, 2007 at 1:52 pm

This story made its way to my email & I’ve sent it on to my friends & family who believe as I do and to those still searching. I wish my youngest son could have received this before he died by his own hand.
The beauty & truth & hope this story produces could stay many a hand.
Thank you, God, for bringing these words to light, & bless the author!
This morning I received the Bamboo & the Fern in my email. The same day I also find it here…I call this ‘God-incidence’.

kathy

posted July 12, 2007 at 10:13 pm

Really needed to hear this message again – have mostly given up on church and finding it hard to pray…I’ll read this frequently. Thank you.

Theresa Faford

posted July 13, 2007 at 12:30 pm

Thanks I needed this!!!! I was just about to quit life, but now I know I am just putting down roots.

kasi

posted August 5, 2007 at 6:38 pm

My boyfriend dumped, he got tired of my erratic behavior. I love him deeply. he told me clearly, don’t call me or look for me. move on with your life. I haven’t contact him because I want to espect his feelings, but there are days when I miss him so bad and all I do is cry and I asked God to forgive me for being so stubborn and to make the miracle of let my boyfriend comeback to me and can show him that I am willing to change, please someone help me and tell me what to do?

Larry Parker

posted September 20, 2007 at 1:28 am

I think a panda ate my bamboo shoots … (sigh)

Rainer

posted August 1, 2008 at 8:55 pm

I tried bamboo seeds from http://www.pflanzen-exoten.de
They are very good at germination. I hope I will get in a few years a 5 metre Phyllostachys moso in my garden :-)

David

posted November 14, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Thanks Rainer for you comment!
The seeds from http://www.Pflanzen-Exoten.de are great!