The riots in London, Birmingham and other British cities have caught us off-guard — it’s a far cry from the pomp and circumstance associated with the recent royal wedding, not to mention next year’s Olympic Games and Queen Elizabeth’s Diamond Jubilee.
Faith leaders and religious groups are stepping forward, reflecting on the root causes of this violence and praying for calm to be restored:
- London riots: actions and reactions (Episcopal Cafe)
- Churches support riot victims with prayers and practical assistance (Christian Today)
- Christians pray for the safety of police and emergency services amid riots (Christian Today)
- Archbishop of Westminster describes English riots as ‘shocking’ (Catholic News Agency)
- Vigil of hope as rioting spreads across London (Christian Today)
- As London burns, riots spread to Jewish communities (JTA)
I’m glad my family and friends are safe, particularly those who just returned from holidays in Cyprus. Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire…
What do you think? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.