America’s fiscal crisis and debt ceiling debate has prompted a lot of soul-searching, both literally and figuratively. (An interfaith gathering even attempted to pray away the problem… let’s see if it works better than praying away the gay!)
As with the controversies over immigration reform and health care reform and other economic and social justice issues, people of faith are grappling with whether their religious values are more politically left- or right-leaning. Some recent faith-related links:
- Obama meets with Christian leaders over budget (Christianity Today)
- National debt debate divides church leaders (The Tennessean)
- Christian leaders criticize deficit proposals (CNN)
- With debt crisis looming, Jewish service groups are on alert (JTA)
- Debt, economy and the church (Episcopal Cafe)
What do you think? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.