Belief Beat

Belief Beat

Oprah’s Last Show Praises Jesus; Elizabeth Smart’s Last Court Appearance Affirms Faith

posted by Nicole Neroulias

It’s a strange juxtaposition of long-awaited faith-related news this afternoon, with Oprah’s final network TV show talk show episode, and the much-delayed sentencing of Brian David Mitchell, the homeless man who kidnapped and raped Mormon teenager Elizabeth Smart in 2002.

Oprah Winfrey (whose show has helped lift the taboo on reporting sexual abuse, coincidentally), thanked God and Jesus for her success, which had the Christian blogosphere buzzing, given that the talk show host and media mogul has tended to be more publicly New Age-y spiritual than devoutly religious.

As for Mitchell, whose trial was repeatedly delayed due to questions about his mental competency and his penchant for bursting into hymns in the courtroom, no surprise: the former street preacher and self-proclaimed prophet was sentenced to life in prison. In her last words to him at the sentencing, Smart, now 23, told him that he would pay for his crimes “in this life or the next.”

Here’s the 2008 clip of Oprah’s show featuring Elizabeth Smart:

Elizabeth Smart Interview on OprahClick here for more home videos

Got closure? Feeling anti-climactic? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.

P.S. As Smart notes in her recent video interview with The Salt Lake Tribune, today is also National Missing Children’s Day. Prayers all around…

Click here to subscribe to Belief Beat and click here to follow Belief Beat on Twitter.

Patsy Davis

posted May 27, 2011 at 7:36 am

Patsy Davis in Charlotte, N.C.

I am a Christian and I want to say that I respect you very much for thanking God and Jesus for your talk show. I am so glad that you acknowledged your faith openly. Whatever new endeavor that you try in the future will be given to you by God and Jesus. You are an angel, Oprah and your will be missed by everyone. God Bless you, Patsy Davis

Jacquelyn Bonniwell

posted May 27, 2011 at 8:13 am

Oprah, you are blesses, may God always give you favor and increase your territory and keep His hands upon you, so that you may bless others for the Glory of the Lord, in Jesus Christ name.

God Bless you, Jacquelyn Bonniwell

Adewunmi Adeleke Akinsola

posted May 27, 2011 at 8:30 am

The show should have continued even if it means a younger person would anchor it. I don’t know why it had to end but I know a number of women have been inspired especially in Nigeria to start their own talk shows. A good thing ought to stay beyond the person that initiated it

flipperthedolphin

posted May 27, 2011 at 8:32 am

What a courageous woman after the hell and trauma she went through! Sadly I only managed to watch a handful of episodes of your wonderful show, Oprah, but, you, having been here “Down Under” recently, and your amazing outpouring of compassion towards the victims and their families affected by the Queensland floods, as well as the above video, are truly something to be admired! Like Patsy, I, too, liked how you thanked God and Jesus(important to make that distinction), as you truly embody everything that Jesus did, in his compassion. You truly are a saint, and you will be missed by many, including me. God bless, and all the best for your future endeavours. flipperthedolphin.

coni harrison

posted May 27, 2011 at 8:43 am

Oprah has inspired so many and I for one have learned so much from her. I only wish the best for her. She is a TRUE ANGEL.

Jonathan N Gardiner

posted May 27, 2011 at 8:45 am

Read this about,Oprah,my,heart,soul and mind leap for,Joy,in hearing what Oprah said about Our God and Saviour Jesus Christ.I had just read in Luke 8:29-39.About how Jesus heal a man name,Legion,and what he(Legion)asked Him and what Jesus reply was to him.

Oprah hearing this about you;I feel as if I just was Bless with,three million dollars.

Continue to acknowledge God and Jesus for All your success and be a Blessed one of the Father and Son.

Angela

posted May 27, 2011 at 8:56 am

I stopped watching Oprah because she made a statement on her show that she believed there was a higher being but she did not think he was the one in the bible. That really placed her in a different light for me. I wonder what God she was thanking?

Maine1

posted May 27, 2011 at 9:19 am

Don’t be fooled by that people. Remember there will be angels of light that will deceive many people even Christians. Yes it is a step in the right direction for her to acknowledge Jesus, but what i’m listening for is that she’s proclaiming Him as her Lord and Savior. Again don’t be deceived and hold off on the praises just continue to listen, watch and keep her lifted in prayer for salvation.

Denise

posted May 27, 2011 at 9:27 am

It never ceases to amaze me the weight of assumption versus truth. The fact that a “higher power” was recognized (and I think it was done intentionally this way in order to accomodate the mass of viewers from all over the world, a gracious move) was proof of her belief. The true evidence of her convictions were most apparent in her daily job and her ability to turn that position into one of service and purpose. That is what I witnessed from time to time. I do not know her personally, I like most of you, watched from afar. But from where I sit, Oprah Winfrey did just what she was taught. She did her best with the talent that she was blessed with, she turned that talent into a service and gave back, it is all God asks of any of us. She was southern “grandmother raised”…To not give praise where it was due..now THAT would have shocked me.

Margaret Townson

posted May 27, 2011 at 10:38 am

Thanks Oprah for all the wonderful shows, and your amazing spirit for giving of yourself to others. Surely everyone should have known you believed in God and His Son, Christ Jesus. A person as loving and giving as you have been over the last 25 years have been a wonderful lesson for all of us to follow, if there were more like you perhaps this country would not be in the shape its’ in, would you run for president? Again thank you, I will be watching OWN, may it be as sucessful as you made NBC and all the people you helped to get TV programs. God Bless You.

Val

posted May 27, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I watched the final showed and enjoyed it. I love the fact that some people walk the walk with their faith. While many talk the talk. They love to pronounce they are a Christian for the world. Oprah didnt she was just Oprah. She showed the world love which is what God is. God is love. No matter what may have thought you heard the woman is a Christian.. She just doesnt walk around with a t-shirt on it saying hey look at me. You don’t have too do. Its in your walk, your talk. It has always been in her walk and her talk.

Arlene Hermann

posted May 27, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Oprah:)

I too am thankful for all that you have done for us on your show and by the Grace of God as well. You ARE a blessing and ARE one of God’s many Children. May God continue to bless you abundantly. I will miss you on your show, but God has something special planned for the next project He has for you.

Your sister-in-Christ,
Arlene

Wanda

posted May 27, 2011 at 4:36 pm

While it is great to hear of her thanking God, I’ve heard her talking about God, She was very confused on who God is. Maybe she has found the only way and accepted Him.

In 2008, Winfrey endorsed the book “A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose,” . Winfrey and the book’s author, Eckhart Tolle, took part in a webinar in which she angered some Christians by saying that Jesus didn’t come to die on the cross.

Mary Lou

posted May 27, 2011 at 4:55 pm

We must be careful of our penchant to judgementalism. (Matthew 7:1-5, Luke 6:37-42)
Love, for HIS sake,
Mary Lou

Anne

posted May 27, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Gee Whiz. I do not understand why ANYBODY is shocked that Oprah gave honor to God — unless they never watched her show or watched her actions before. This was not the first time Oprah has given honor to God! She has said it before — but what’s most important is that she lives her LIFE that way! Her show and her life have been ones of service and giving. She doesn’t need to wear a tee-shirt with words to praise the Lord. Some of the biggest hypocrits I know are the ones who can’t stop telling anybody and everybody how holy they are. The Bible clearly tells us that by their FRUITS we will know them.

soyla

posted May 29, 2011 at 12:55 pm

we fail to remember that we all fall short from time to time.one thing i will always remember about ophra is how much love and compassion she has shown to everyone around her. she has inspired me and so many people around the world to be th best we can be and that nothing is impossible through God who strengthens us. thank you ophra for everything you have given us.Most of all thank you God for giving us Jesus.

Karen

posted May 29, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I love Oprah because she was honest with what she believed. Though I didn’t always agree with everything. She is a great example of not being rude to those you disagree with. She isn’t an enabler of people, but she did help many by getting them to make the most of themselves. Thank you Oprah for being you, and encouraging each one of us to use the talents God gave us and remember we are loved and to be kind to every one. To God be the Glory.

Pingback: Jaycee Dugard & Elizabeth Smart Kidnappings: Satan Among Us… And God? - Belief Beat

Solomon K.Malu

posted August 14, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Dear Oprah and others in America
It is my Prayer that the Lord may touch your hearts as you read this short note.Jesus said John14:6 “6Jesus said to him, I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except by (through) Me”and in Acts 4:12″And there is salvation in and through no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by and in which we must be saved.So no matter of who we are and how rich and famous we may think Only Jesus is the Lord and Savior Ordained and Anointed by God the Father to save human beings.All riches and fame will remain here on earth n will not accompany those who boast in such things when they are Condemned in Judgement.So Please make up ur mind and repent and Come back to Jesus

Solomon K.Malu

posted August 14, 2011 at 5:05 pm

It is me Solomon Again from Africa
I am blessed to be called His(Jesus’).He is the Alpha and the Omega the Beginning and the End.Listen Oprah and all who live in America specifically USA,Jesus is God’s Love gift of salvation and Grace.So don’t boast on anything and don’t more than you should do about yourselves the Lord God is above all things.So fear Him and Obey Him For He dearly loves you and me.Jesus is only waiting you to come to Him in repentance and will not hold past records of your transgression because He has already Paid the price at the Cross in Calvary.Only run to Jesus.God bless you all

More Blogs To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Belief Beat. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy:   Beliefnet News   Good News Happy Reading!

posted 4:57:28pm Feb. 14, 2012 | read full post »

Fun Friday: Atheist Temple Planned for UK's Nonbelievers
Author Alain de Botton has announced plans to build an Atheist temple in the United Kingdom, presumably so nonbelievers have a place to gather and share their philosophies. Um... isn't that what Starbucks is for? Also, I can't wait to see how the architect will handle this kind of project. May

posted 2:53:42pm Jan. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Alaska Airlines: High Payers No Longer Offered Sky Prayers
Alaska Airlines, now the country's seventh-largest airline, has announced it will stop offering prayer cards with its in-flight meals. (It's just raining religion news in the great unchurched Pacific Northwest lately.) I've flown Alaska several times since moving to Seattle, but I confess that I'

posted 11:07:56am Jan. 26, 2012 | read full post »

Washington's Gay Marriage Debate: Clergy vs. Clergy
I reported for Reuters at the Washington state Capitol yesterday, covering the public hearings on a gay marriage bill -- and in between, the breaking news that the state Senate now has enough votes to pass the bill. (The House already had enough votes.) It now appears that Washington's lawmakers wi

posted 11:24:39am Jan. 24, 2012 | read full post »

What Israel's Domestic Policy & Santorum Supporters Have in Common
Hope everyone had an introspective Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, whether observed as a faith-related holiday, a nice break from the work week or something else entirely. Check out this story from Religion & Ethics Newsweekly about how mandatory sentencing for drug crimes and non-violent offens

posted 1:32:44pm Jan. 18, 2012 | read full post »