Belief Beat

Belief Beat

Rabbis to Fox News: Step Away From the Holocaust

posted by Nicole Neroulias

As candle-lighting ceremonies and other symbolic gestures commemorated International Holocaust Remembrance Day, hundreds of American rabbis marked the Jan. 27 occasion with a forceful letter to media mogul Rupert Murdoch about the use of Nazi and Holocaust references by his Fox News employees: Roger Ailes and Glenn Beck.

For more on the letter, which appeared in today’s Wall Street Journal, check out my Religion News Service story.

For more on Holocaust Remembrance Day around the world, here are some links:

And, as a sad reminder that despite the post-World War II rallying cry of “Never Again,” genocide and other mass atrocities persist, here are a couple of extra links:

What do you think? Share your thoughts, and any other relevant links, in the Comments section below.

*Click here to subscribe to Belief Beat and click here to follow Belief Beat on Twitter.

Robert C

posted January 28, 2011 at 10:17 am

Feh. What chutzpah.The schmucks are out in force. So a claque of leftist meyven want to kvetsh about a topic they’ve raised themselves for years? Oy vey Mishegas. Well, don’t plotzm there are two sides to the coin. If Beck wishes to be a shmendrik by overusing the reference, so let him knock himself out. Censorship is no better. Enough with the PC. Where were they when schlock Olbermann was shoving the very same shmutz and tokhis in his nightly spiel? The yiddisher kop know that this is just another shtick.

Heretic_for_Christ

posted January 28, 2011 at 11:12 am

I am not a leftist or a Jew (or a Christian, for that matter), and I find Beck’s presence on the airways incredibly offensive. He leaves a trail of toxic droppings that pollute political discourse.
And just like the demagogue Beck, you, Robert, engage in deceit when you bring in charges of censorship here. This is not a call for censorship but for responsibility on the part of Fox News. Beck is either an incredible actor or a seriously demented individual, and putting such a person on the air to spew forth hatred is wildly irresponsible. Beck draws in the crowds and the money for Fox, but he has no more relationship to responsible political commentary than professional wrestling has to serious athletic competition. And the fact that he does bring in the crowds does not imply that he is onto something — demagogues ALWAYS have audiences.

Robert C

posted January 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Deceit? Hah. Whose posing now? Where were they when Olbermann was doing and saying the very same thing? I don’t car for Beck but I diaslike hypocrisy more. Especially when it drools out of the mouths of the rabid far left.

Heretic_for_Christ

posted January 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Well, we can’t seem to avoid each other, Robert. Olbermann is an unapologetic liberal, but he deals in factual issues. To equate Olbermann’s arguments (even if you disagree with them) with the delusional hate-filled lunacy preached and screeched by Beck is dishonest. I am not sure if you are referring to me as representing “the rabid far left,” but if so then you are not paying any attention to anything I have posted. I have stated unequivocally that I am politically eclectic, holding some views that would antagonize the left and others that would antagonize the right. All I see from you is ceaseless venom spewed against the left, which you described (on another board) as “insidious.”
But ultimately, your closing comment on the abotion discussion was correct — this discussion is pointless. But it is worth asking yourself if you can find anything that you do NOT hate about the left. For myself, I certainly do hate some things about the right, but I agree with other things. This simple sniff-test reassures me that the dogmatist among us is not me.
In the future, I will try to address the issues without addressing you directly. Have a nice life.

Mordred08

posted January 28, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Couldn’t Fox just stick to comparing liberals to the Communists? I mean, Stalin was a pretty nasty guy, right?

Robert C

posted January 29, 2011 at 10:31 am

Your Name

posted January 29, 2011 at 12:23 pm

“ROTFLMAO. To re-iterate once again. I am a Democrat and have been for over 40 years.”
A shanda fur die Democratim.

Mordred08

posted January 29, 2011 at 2:49 pm

What you are, Robert, is a dedicated troll. A gay atheist Democrat who valiantly defends conservative Christianity against the combined evils of liberalism and secular humanism? There’s a Saturday Night Live sketch in there somewhere.
I would suggest that Beck and company try being the bigger man for once and say “I disagree with you, but I’m pretty sure you’re not Hitler”. But I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

A Yiddische Mama

posted January 29, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Mordred, you are correct. Among ‘Robert’s’ many shortcomings is his inability to use ‘yiddishisms’ correctly.

Nicole Neroulias

posted January 29, 2011 at 9:48 pm

While I appreciated a spirited discussion — and I, too, am scratching my head over how Robert C. can consider himself a Democrat, given all his previous comments — let’s keep the comments related to the subject matter, not each other.

Robert C

posted January 29, 2011 at 11:07 pm

So naive of you to think that I am the only gay right of left center Democrat alienated by the socialist takeover. Try Go Proud. try Hillbuzz, try Lynn Forester de Rothschild, try Cynthia Yockey, etc etc. Shows the naivete, nee ignorance, of a small claque of isolated neer do wells congratulating themselves for being uncivil to the differing points of view, but that is typical of leftist sites. But I assure you as hard as we worked in the past to get the leftists elected, we are working twice as hard to change the balance back.
Nicole if you think the comments are so perplexing you should read what I say on the right wing sites. LMAO

Heretic_for_Christ

posted January 30, 2011 at 8:58 am

The subject here is opposition to Glenn Beck. It is hardly surprising that progressives regard him as simultaneously laughable and dangerous. But while conservatives SHOULD regard him in identical fashion, instead they embrace him and defend him. Conservatism used to be a legitimate social-political philosophy; one might agree or disagree with conservatives — and, for that matter, with progressives — on different issues, but the debate was usually conducted with at least some attention to facts and logical analysis. There is nothing leftwing or rightwing about paying attention to facts and arguing logically. There is nothing partisan about calling a liar a liar. Beck is either a clever actor who has found a role that brings him unimaginable wealth or he is a seriously delusional individual. In either case, his commentaries have little or no link to reality and rationality.
Responsible conservatives should therefore dismiss him as contemptuously as progressives do. Instead, they uphold him or, at most, give assent-through-silence to his hate-mongering fantasies. By their response to Beck, we see that conservatism in America has traded in its intellectual underpinnings for the giddy, heady rush of unalloyed demagogy. And unfortunately for America, the progressive movement, while still dealing in the world of reality, has utterly lost its courage and become a crowd of sheep making ineffectual bleating noises. The combination of conservatism’s malignant transformation into demagogy and liberalism’s enfeeblement leaves me very discouraged about the future of our nation. That someone like Glenn Beck is even on the air and that he has an audience is the perfect illustration of what our nation has lost.
The rabbis who have asked Fox News to show a trace of social responsibility concerning the most hateful of Beck’s poisonous rants are at least trying to do what is good for America.

LeahOne

posted January 30, 2011 at 9:44 am

Heretic, you’re right. Beck’s expressed views are so ultra extreme, anyone NOT that extreme should be disavowing him. Of course it took WW2 and the discovery of the atrocities before the general public in the US understood what Charles Lindberg’s racist and anti-democratic sentiments had actually been supporting – and even then Lindberg’s achievements still promoted some respect for the man. Racist supporter of fascist tyrrany that he was, Lindberg’s contributions to aviation couldn’t be erased.
One wonders what atrocities it will take before Fox-viewing Americans are able to understand that the ‘traitor’ to America is Glen Beck….
This exact point has been brought up to ‘leftists’, in the form of questioning their complete support of any hateful anti-Jewish or ‘anti-Zionist’ statement made by one of their number. AND I’ve tried pointing out the presence of ‘ME peace supporters’ who are pretty obvious sympathizers to the Nazi ideology. Seriously, these are people who complain about ‘the vilification of Nazi Germany’ and praise the likes of David Irving et al…..
WHY are the ‘peace advocates’ allowing such rabid wolves wrapped in fleece to be part of their flock? I suppose it’s the blind desperation which deludes them into thinking their ’cause’ is served by one-more-member, never mind the ‘negative image’ incurred by such TOLERANCE of an undoubted evil.
The phenomenon seems to be identical on both fringes: I see it as a function of their exclusivist ‘zero-sum’ unreasonable – and unreasoning! – views. Under those fleecy ‘skins’, the Left *AND* the Right are actually residents of ‘the dark side’ of the moon.
And that is where I wish we could leave them: in the darkness and utter cold, with their wailing and gnashing of teeth. Because residing there, rather than the real world, neither group is of any use in reducing any of this world’s problems.

Your Name

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:30 am

Ah yes, GOProud is S-O-O-O “right of center”. Not. Seems that the ‘threat’ of their participation in this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference has caused the actual right of center groups (the ‘Family’ “Research” Council, ‘Concerned’ “Women” of America, “Liberty” University and (koff, koff) the Heritage Foundation) to boycott the event. This exposes the LIE that the Republican Party is a “big tent” party. And also the LIE that “being uncivil to the differing points of view” is not limited to the “left”.
Could the “Keep OUT” and the “You’re NOT Wanted Here” signs be any clearer?
Try again, but DO BETTER!

Robert C

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:06 pm

You have a problem with Chris Barron’s comment?

Nicole Neroulias

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I’m removing comments that are irrelevant to the subject of this post.

Robert C

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:23 pm

So, “your name’s” ( actually Grumpy’s ) is? Or Modred’s where he insulted me and you let him pass? Or is it only permissible to take what actually is a narrow far left view on gay rights? The issue they have is that I am not for marriage but simply civil unions? They have freely insulted every moderate thinking gay men by using the terms like self loathing for not agreeing with them. My point at the beginning of the thread was that Olbermann used the same references and he was left unchastized. Sound familiar? If your fair then remove all the non pertinent posts from the thread.

Nicole Neroulias

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I’ve been trying to allow as much freedom in these comments as possible, and that means that some things do get through that shouldn’t. (Keep in mind that you don’t see what else I have deleted — it’s quite a range.) But, this post definitely isn’t the place to air grievances about gay activist liberals.

Robert C

posted February 1, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I agree. I have pretty thick skin having been harrassed as an openly gay man since Stonewall. And apologies if I get heated at times, but after 40 years of fighting for gay rights I don’t appreciate when a back seat, sightseer comments that other gay men don’t have a right to our opinions. It is just that we’ve been fighting for all these years and how ridiculous to think that all gay men agree with that narrow view.
You have to admit that the topic of the thread invited some invigorated discussion. And btw, I am allowed to consider myself a democrat since that what it has read on the voter registration rolls since I was eligible to 1st vote. However, I am also a Puma and as such don’t agree with the current makeup of the party power structure.

Grumpy Old Person

posted February 2, 2011 at 11:53 am

Removed by moderator because this is not a forum for discussing gay marriage vs. civil unions.

More Blogs To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Belief Beat. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy:   Beliefnet News   Good News Happy Reading!

posted 4:57:28pm Feb. 14, 2012 | read full post »

Fun Friday: Atheist Temple Planned for UK's Nonbelievers
Author Alain de Botton has announced plans to build an Atheist temple in the United Kingdom, presumably so nonbelievers have a place to gather and share their philosophies. Um... isn't that what Starbucks is for? Also, I can't wait to see how the architect will handle this kind of project. May

posted 2:53:42pm Jan. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Alaska Airlines: High Payers No Longer Offered Sky Prayers
Alaska Airlines, now the country's seventh-largest airline, has announced it will stop offering prayer cards with its in-flight meals. (It's just raining religion news in the great unchurched Pacific Northwest lately.) I've flown Alaska several times since moving to Seattle, but I confess that I'

posted 11:07:56am Jan. 26, 2012 | read full post »

Washington's Gay Marriage Debate: Clergy vs. Clergy
I reported for Reuters at the Washington state Capitol yesterday, covering the public hearings on a gay marriage bill -- and in between, the breaking news that the state Senate now has enough votes to pass the bill. (The House already had enough votes.) It now appears that Washington's lawmakers wi

posted 11:24:39am Jan. 24, 2012 | read full post »

What Israel's Domestic Policy & Santorum Supporters Have in Common
Hope everyone had an introspective Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, whether observed as a faith-related holiday, a nice break from the work week or something else entirely. Check out this story from Religion & Ethics Newsweekly about how mandatory sentencing for drug crimes and non-violent offens

posted 1:32:44pm Jan. 18, 2012 | read full post »