Belief Beat

Belief Beat

Billy Graham Admits 20th Century Regrets, Pope Benedict Issues 21st Century Warning

posted by Nicole Neroulias

Aside from the Roe v. Wade anniversary – featuring a huge anti-abortion crowd at the March for Life in Washington – the top two religion newsmakers today each concerns an elderly white male Christian leader with an unexpected message: Pope Benedict (age: 83) issued some cautionary advice about social networking — YouTube, Facebook, blogging, etc. — while the Rev. Billy Graham (age: 92) reflected on the past in an interview with Christianity Today, including what he should have done differently:

I’d spend more time at home with my family, and I’d study more and preach less. I wouldn’t have taken so many speaking engagements, including some of the things I did over the years that I probably didn’t really need to do — weddings and funerals and building dedications, things like that. Whenever I counsel someone who feels called to be an evangelist, I always urge them to guard their time and not feel like they have to do everything.

I also would have steered clear of politics. I’m grateful for the opportunities God gave me to minister to people in high places; people in power have spiritual and personal needs like everyone else, and often they have no one to talk to. But looking back I know I sometimes crossed the line, and I wouldn’t do that now.

Politics Daily and USA Today have more on the Billy Graham interview, and you can check out the AP and Reuters for more on the pope’s message for the Catholic Church’s World Day of Social Communications:

What do you think? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.

*Click here to subscribe to Belief Beat and click here to follow Belief Beat on Twitter.

pagansister

posted January 24, 2011 at 8:14 pm

When one hits a certain age and reviews one’s past, there is bound to be a few things they wished they hadn’t done or had done differently. Hindsight is wonderful! Graham is apparently doing just that.
Benny seems to be doing what many have done with “new” technology—warn about the ability to abuse it. Use everything in moderation.

nnmnns

posted January 25, 2011 at 9:49 am

Considering how big a part he played in bringing us GWB and all that came with him I’d think even Graham would have regrets. Then of course there was his conversation with Nixon about Jews that I’m sure he never expected to be made public.
He could have exerted so much positive influence on so many things that he didn’t. I understand that at least his organization was integrated before its time.
Overall I think he’ll be judged, by many of those who bother to judge him, as a man of missed opportunities.

Henrietta22

posted January 25, 2011 at 12:28 pm

The world and who we are is a learning experience. I don’t think there is a person alive or dead who hasn’t missed opportunities.

jestrfyl

posted January 25, 2011 at 2:44 pm

A life lived without regrets has been lived without risk or challenge. That is hardly worth the effort! Glad to know BG is feeling some regret for actions and sermons he preached without full consderation for the consequence.
So do you thnk B16 has a “shadow page” on f’book where he lets loose with rants and maybe even offers little teases to people who catch his eye? I wonder what his other facebook moniker would be?

MH

posted January 25, 2011 at 4:20 pm

The politics link was interesting. Billy Graham did stay clear of politics compared to some of his contemporaries (e.g. Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell). I’d agree that probably his close call with Nixon probably made him more cautious in this area.

pagansister

posted January 25, 2011 at 7:58 pm

What would Benny’s Facebook moniker be? Perhaps “Red Shoes”.

Michael in Abu Dhabi

posted January 26, 2011 at 12:50 am

BG had a great life, and his message gave hope to millions.
pagansister: Yes, “Red Shoes” would be a great moniker. The red shoe bit is something the popes picked up from the Caesars, as the emperor class singularly wore red shoes or whatever formal footware that was available to the nogs of the time. Of course anyone can wear red shoes, but in those days it was only for 1. The emperor of Byzantium ended up wearing purple shoes. That is how the Turks identified his headless corpse when Constantinople fell on May 29, 1453.

pagansister

posted January 26, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Michael in Abu Dhabi (really there?) Interesting biton the red shoe history—and on the poor emperor of Byzantium and his purple shoes being an ID for his corpse. Ick!

Pingback: BREAKING NEWS: The Rev. Billy Graham, 92, Hospitalized With Pneumonia - Belief Beat

More Blogs To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Belief Beat. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy:   Beliefnet News   Good News Happy Reading!

posted 4:57:28pm Feb. 14, 2012 | read full post »

Fun Friday: Atheist Temple Planned for UK's Nonbelievers
Author Alain de Botton has announced plans to build an Atheist temple in the United Kingdom, presumably so nonbelievers have a place to gather and share their philosophies. Um... isn't that what Starbucks is for? Also, I can't wait to see how the architect will handle this kind of project. May

posted 2:53:42pm Jan. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Alaska Airlines: High Payers No Longer Offered Sky Prayers
Alaska Airlines, now the country's seventh-largest airline, has announced it will stop offering prayer cards with its in-flight meals. (It's just raining religion news in the great unchurched Pacific Northwest lately.) I've flown Alaska several times since moving to Seattle, but I confess that I'

posted 11:07:56am Jan. 26, 2012 | read full post »

Washington's Gay Marriage Debate: Clergy vs. Clergy
I reported for Reuters at the Washington state Capitol yesterday, covering the public hearings on a gay marriage bill -- and in between, the breaking news that the state Senate now has enough votes to pass the bill. (The House already had enough votes.) It now appears that Washington's lawmakers wi

posted 11:24:39am Jan. 24, 2012 | read full post »

What Israel's Domestic Policy & Santorum Supporters Have in Common
Hope everyone had an introspective Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, whether observed as a faith-related holiday, a nice break from the work week or something else entirely. Check out this story from Religion & Ethics Newsweekly about how mandatory sentencing for drug crimes and non-violent offens

posted 1:32:44pm Jan. 18, 2012 | read full post »