Belief Beat

Belief Beat

Fun Friday: Boy George, Ricky Gervais, Tiger Mom & Russian Strippers

posted by Nicole Neroulias

Time to lighten up and have a laugh — or at least a hearty eye-roll? I have four finalists for this week’s Fun Friday newsmaker.

Full disclosure: I wanted to go with this one, because my family is Cypriot and I’m now wondering if Boy George and George Michael, a British Cypriot and fellow former pop star, will bond over this experience. Now that they’re no longer feuding (over Michael’s decision to remain closeted during the height of his fame), wouldn’t it be great if they put their has-been careers together and create a Boy George Michael comeback sensation? Hey, if the Backstreet Boys and New Kids on the Block can do it…

But, I figured the rest of you would prefer to chat about one of these:

What do you think? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.

*Click here to subscribe to Belief Beat and click here to follow Belief Beat on Twitter.

Henrietta22

posted January 21, 2011 at 3:15 pm

What do I think? Jewish Mothers, and Chinese, Swedish, Italian, etc. moms have different upbringing and ways of looking at their children and what they do. Why should they all be the same?
National Dress Code in Russia? Where do they file that under Human Rights?
Gervis; watched him for the lst. time on Golden Globes! He is funny and reminds me of the older comedians; Bob Hope, Phyllis Diller, Joan Rivers, Jack Benny, Johnathan Winters, can’t think of the one that everyone wanted to hide from when he came on stage! So many, and we all laughed and enjoyed them. Humor in America might come back if we listen to Gervis enough.

Jack B

posted January 21, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Boy George may be part of a clandestine scheme afoot to re-iconize Cyprus. This week, a Cypriot monk was arrested in Greece for carrying a nun’s skeleton in his baggage. He said he was returning a saint’s relic to his monastery in Cyprus. The police called it theft and desecrating the dead. The Archbishop of Cyprus suspected “the work of charlatans with a financial interest”.

Jester

posted January 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm

A Catholic monk moving a skeleton relic? I thought only Shingon monks had those.

nnmnns

posted January 21, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Catholic churches through the ages have made fortunes based on just a little piece of a skeleton, perhaps even on the rumor of a little piece of a skeleton. Beware charlatans with a financial interest, no matter what robes they wear.
The Russian Orthodox spokesman sounds like a jerk. And how often, in Russia, can a woman dress like a stripper. Way too cold, I’m thinking. Anyway, if a woman wants to dress that way and can carry it off, more power to her. The Orthodox guy might be more comfortable in Saudi Arabia.

Jester

posted January 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Damn, nnmnns. What priest pooped in your Cheerios?

nnmnns

posted January 21, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I don’t care much for the priests and bishops and archbishops and popes that try to take away my and everyone else’s right to abortions and workable birth control. Let them keep their rules within their church. And I don’t care much for people who hide child abusers and let them abuse again. And I don’t care much for people who fill other peoples’ heads with nonsense and fear.
But the part about Catholic churches earning money from relics is just facts.

Robert C

posted January 21, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Not Cheerios. It’s relentless hate speech aimed at Catholics for very limited justifiable rationale.
PS Bye Bye Keith Olbermann. Now if only Comcast would clean house.

Robert C

posted January 21, 2011 at 10:47 pm

PSS
Leftist Democrats are obviously lax in understanding that regulations for public health extend to their oversight for abortion clinics. Rather than allow them to continue to be flabbergasted, shelter accused murderers, or back off legal responsibilities due to political policy preferences, perhaps instead they should be stripped of their rights to legislate or adjudicate on the issue altogether.

nnmnns

posted January 22, 2011 at 8:55 am

Robert can’t distinguish between dislike of the Catholic Church and dislike of Catholics. Or maybe he just chooses not to.
And there can be bad people who are abortionists just as there are bad people who are bishops.

Robert C

posted January 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Robert can discern that the type of bigotry that he experienced as a gay man out from the age of 15 is very similar to the bigotry expressed towards other groups. No matter how you gift wrap that bigotry and hate and place a pretty bow on top its still a ticking bomb that unavoidably hurts and maimes.
The difference is cogent in that when there is a bad person who happens to have passed into the priesthood, the church and its doctrines are maligned by those who believe that for some obtuse rationale, they have a higher moral standing to criticize. Justified criticism is one thing, organized campaigns to score political points at the expense of a religious groups’ civil rights, or to defame the magisterium for sexual perrogatives is another. Make no mistake, for most devout catholics the blanket maligning the church is an insidious attack on the each of them as individuals as dispicable as using the term fag, or the N word. The problem with the Gosnell case is not one bad abortionist, nor is it similar to a conservative bishop thinking his actions are protecting his church. Here we find an entire department of a state government literally licensing mass murder. “This includes not only the people who failed to do the inspecting, the prosecuting, and the protecting, but also those at the top who obviously tolerated, or even encouraged, the inaction.”
A simple perusal of the full Grand Jury indictment in this matter is thought provoking, shocking, repulsive, and a game changer. It is explicit. Read at your own risk. However, language such as ‘nothing but a bunch of cells’ should never be used again.

Robert C

posted January 22, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Nicole Neroulias

posted January 22, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Please keep the comments relevant to the blog post.
To be more specific: I will delete anything else about abortion and clergy abuse (the two are not even related to each other!) that pops up in this thread.

Henrietta22

posted January 22, 2011 at 2:03 pm

This isn’t the place to give this info, but everything else is off the subject, so….
Keith Olbermann set the anti-establishment info out for his viewers to see, and think about. It put msnbc in the high spot it is today. I’ll miss him there but know he’ll be caught up by another astute buyer. His book “Pitchforks and Torches”, The worst of the worst, from Beck, Bill, and Bush to Palen and other posturing Republicans is out to read while we wait for his reappearance.
The bad abortion Dr. is just that bad. Nobody from Planned Parenthood endorsed his breaking of the law, to say so is stupid and not true.

Nicole Neroulias

posted January 22, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I’ve just had to delete some comments already!
Please find other posts related to abortion (I’ll put one up now), clergy abuse, politics, etc., to post your thoughts on those topics.

nnmnns

posted January 22, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Robert I’m no psychologist so I won’t hazard a guess as to why the bigotry that happened to you as a gay, or something else entirely, has over-sensitized you to criticism of the RCC, but apparently something has. And it really is a problem for you because the RCC has brought upon itself an immense amount of earned criticism. It’s quite unlikely all the puss has come to the surface yet, and the cancer of men who protect(ed) child molesters reaches clear to the head.
I expect a lot of Catholics are more disgusted than I am because they trusted the Church all their lives, while I’ve never trusted it. And they supported those men who’ve protected the abusers and lied about it.
I’ve made no secret of why I dislike the Church. It’s pretty well laid out in my earlier post here. And I’ll continue to point our their shortcomings, as do others. Deal with it.

Robert C

posted January 23, 2011 at 12:01 am

ahh. you continue to post in this thread. and since it hasn’t been moved to the new one I am forced to ignore or comment. You obviously have more latitude.
ah the psych attack. The overly bruised leftists usually resort to that. Its the obvious unfairness inherent in the bigoted perspective that bristles with such venom. Go ahead use that paltry excuse to attack those who appear to oppose the leftist agenda, in the meantime turn a cold sholder to the maniac with a scissors murdering the same children you purport to want to defend. And your wrong about Catholics, at this point they are more disgusted by the continued slander from the atheists than they are about the mishandling of the pederasty. Deal with it I will by being back in the face of every Alinsky trained bigot.

nnmnns

posted January 23, 2011 at 7:59 am

“Alinsky trained bigot”! Wow. I have no idea what you’re on but I don’t want any of it.

MH

posted January 23, 2011 at 9:40 am

The squabbling between nnmnns and Robert C is an interesting case study in extremes and the fallacy of the excluded middle. The “Alinsky trained bigot” reference is obscure, even a Google search I’m not sure what he’s talking about.
On topic. I can understand George Michael’ desire to hide his sexuality as he said his mother couldn’t deal with it, and it might effect their relationship. My parent’s and I have an unspoken “don’t ask don’t tell” agreement about religion.

nnmnns

posted January 23, 2011 at 11:30 am

I’m not extreme. Any crazy claims to the contrary notwithstanding.
If I, who freely admit to not being Catholic, and Robert, who claims to not practice any religion, both stopped claiming to speak for Catholics it would surely elevate the discussion.

More Blogs To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Belief Beat. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy:   Beliefnet News   Good News Happy Reading!

posted 4:57:28pm Feb. 14, 2012 | read full post »

Fun Friday: Atheist Temple Planned for UK's Nonbelievers
Author Alain de Botton has announced plans to build an Atheist temple in the United Kingdom, presumably so nonbelievers have a place to gather and share their philosophies. Um... isn't that what Starbucks is for? Also, I can't wait to see how the architect will handle this kind of project. May

posted 2:53:42pm Jan. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Alaska Airlines: High Payers No Longer Offered Sky Prayers
Alaska Airlines, now the country's seventh-largest airline, has announced it will stop offering prayer cards with its in-flight meals. (It's just raining religion news in the great unchurched Pacific Northwest lately.) I've flown Alaska several times since moving to Seattle, but I confess that I'

posted 11:07:56am Jan. 26, 2012 | read full post »

Washington's Gay Marriage Debate: Clergy vs. Clergy
I reported for Reuters at the Washington state Capitol yesterday, covering the public hearings on a gay marriage bill -- and in between, the breaking news that the state Senate now has enough votes to pass the bill. (The House already had enough votes.) It now appears that Washington's lawmakers wi

posted 11:24:39am Jan. 24, 2012 | read full post »

What Israel's Domestic Policy & Santorum Supporters Have in Common
Hope everyone had an introspective Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, whether observed as a faith-related holiday, a nice break from the work week or something else entirely. Check out this story from Religion & Ethics Newsweekly about how mandatory sentencing for drug crimes and non-violent offens

posted 1:32:44pm Jan. 18, 2012 | read full post »