Belief Beat

Belief Beat

Anglican Clergy Defection to New Catholic Church Body Begins

posted by Nicole Neroulias

While former Catholic priest Alberto Cutie (aka “Father Oprah”) has been out promoting his book about his defection to the Episcopal Church and happy new life as a husband and father, three former Anglican bishops, apparently seeking more conservative pastures, were preparing to take up the Vatican’s offer to join a new Roman Catholic body:

It’s stories like this that convince me that human beings simply need more than one spiritual path — even within western Christianity, some people only feel comfortable with traditional routes, others yearn for a liberal approach, etc. In any case, it’ll be interesting to see whether the number of ex-Anglican clergy joining this new Roman Catholic body (and conveniently allowed to keep their spouses, if they’re already married) comes close to the hundreds of Catholic priests who have become Protestant in order to marry.

What do you think? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.

*Click here to subscribe to Belief Beat and click here to follow Belief Beat on Twitter.

pagansister

posted January 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Wonder what the priests who were originally ordained by the RCC, and aren’t allowed to marry, think of the newly converted priests who come from the Anglican/Episcopal churches WITH a wife? THEY get to have a life with a woman where as the Catholic priests can’t enjoy that, should they wish to. Does that make for harmony among priests?

Robert C

posted January 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Don’t worry Pagan. If they are true to their vocation, they aren’t thinking about their penis.

pagansister

posted January 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm

RobertC: Are you sure?

Robert C

posted January 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm

LOL. Then they aren’t rue to their vocation if they feel they need to act upon thoughts of physical gratification.

pagansister

posted January 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm

So the converted priests are allowed to have a partner for life, as they came with wives, but those that don’t come with a wife, aren’t supposed to have any physical gratification? ( female we assume, since gay priests are frowned upon). Double standard. The RCC is so excited that they are getting new recruits (even married ones) that they can relax the “no marriage” rule. They are in need of priests, so they take the desserters from another faith. Funny,centuries ago RC priests were allowed wives. Then it became a “no-no”. I’d stick with the Anglicans and Epsicopals.

Robert C

posted January 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I’d stick with the ones who understood the ramifications of ‘giving up wordly pleasures’ to persue a true vocation, AND are able to keep that committment.

kenneth

posted January 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I’ve never seen anything to indicate that these folks had any interest in becoming Catholic out of sincere belief. It’s a group of Anglicans who was miffed about one theological/social issue who decided they were going to take their bat and ball and play in some other league. For the Vatican, it was a chance to score a public coup in the culture war. These guys “converting” are still essentially Anglicans with the right to operate a Catholic franchise. That says to me that loyalty to the pope and his culture war agenda are the only core aspects to being Catholic. Everything else is apparently negotiable.

nnmnns

posted January 18, 2011 at 4:09 pm

The obvious thing for priests in love to do is to become Anglicans, where they may well be able to earn a living a while, get married, and after a suitable time rejoin the Church. Of course if their love happens to fall the other way life’s not so simple. But they’re probably used to that.
It is good when you can change religions. It’s easier for everyone when parents don’t push kids into a religion before they’re adults so they can make up their own minds.

Jester

posted January 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I was raised Anglican/Episcopal because my maternal grandma was a Brit, and I really enjoyed it. The only reason I converted out of it in ’98 was because it just wasn’t right for me anymore. It was (IMHO) too heavy on comfort and trappings and too light on answers and reality. I still love and respect it, though; and my wife still practices it.

pagansister

posted January 18, 2011 at 6:46 pm

To each his own, Jester, and it’s good that folks can, as nnmns mentioned, change religions—at least in many countries. :o)

Henrietta22

posted January 18, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Priests give up marriage or “worldly pleasures”, for their calling? So does that mean that worldly gratifications equal a wife, a husband, or children? My husband and I thought it was all about love and committment. Strange how interpretation changes lives, isn’t it?

perdre du poids

posted January 19, 2011 at 7:16 am

Yeah..I agree with Henrietta ..

flipperthedolphin

posted January 20, 2011 at 4:39 am

Having been an Anglican now, for about fifteen years, now, and am loving it more than ever, as we’re gradually becoming more progresive, and whilst I have to be careful as one, as these fundamentalists need our love, not condemnation, it’s sad that these conservatives seem to love being stuck in the dark ages. Whilst I acknowlege that not all fundamentalists are bad(a few of whom, who I’ll keep anonymous out respect, are some of the nicest people one could hope to meet!!), it’s sad that these Anglicans love being stuck in the dark ages. Scripture, contrary to sadly wideheld belief is not static. For example, the very character of Jesus changes from Gospel to Gospel, and yet, a great many of Christians today, “hold it a litmus test of their faith, that they embrace a thousand year held ideas. And are proud of it!”(Living the Questions 2-Session 9 “Out into the World-Challenges Facing Progressive Christians”.

Pingback: Fun Friday: Married Priest Says Celibates Do It Better - Belief Beat

More Blogs To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Belief Beat. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy:   Beliefnet News   Good News Happy Reading!

posted 4:57:28pm Feb. 14, 2012 | read full post »

Fun Friday: Atheist Temple Planned for UK's Nonbelievers
Author Alain de Botton has announced plans to build an Atheist temple in the United Kingdom, presumably so nonbelievers have a place to gather and share their philosophies. Um... isn't that what Starbucks is for? Also, I can't wait to see how the architect will handle this kind of project. May

posted 2:53:42pm Jan. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Alaska Airlines: High Payers No Longer Offered Sky Prayers
Alaska Airlines, now the country's seventh-largest airline, has announced it will stop offering prayer cards with its in-flight meals. (It's just raining religion news in the great unchurched Pacific Northwest lately.) I've flown Alaska several times since moving to Seattle, but I confess that I'

posted 11:07:56am Jan. 26, 2012 | read full post »

Washington's Gay Marriage Debate: Clergy vs. Clergy
I reported for Reuters at the Washington state Capitol yesterday, covering the public hearings on a gay marriage bill -- and in between, the breaking news that the state Senate now has enough votes to pass the bill. (The House already had enough votes.) It now appears that Washington's lawmakers wi

posted 11:24:39am Jan. 24, 2012 | read full post »

What Israel's Domestic Policy & Santorum Supporters Have in Common
Hope everyone had an introspective Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, whether observed as a faith-related holiday, a nice break from the work week or something else entirely. Check out this story from Religion & Ethics Newsweekly about how mandatory sentencing for drug crimes and non-violent offens

posted 1:32:44pm Jan. 18, 2012 | read full post »