Belief Beat

Belief Beat

Fun Friday: Buff Bods for Benedict, Festivus for the Rest of Us

posted by Nicole Neroulias

Both of these stories cracked me up this week: a California inmate cited his religious belief in Seinfeld’s “Festivus” holiday in a bid to get salami-free prison meals, and a quartet of buff acrobats performed a bizarre barechested show for Pope Benedict during his general audience.

The Festivus story is more fun to read and interesting to dissect, but the Vatican acrobat performance is hilarious to watch:

Reminds me of this Saturday Night Live skit. (Perhaps SNL will spoof the Vatican version this week — Jeff Bridges, Eminem and Lil’ Wayne are the guests, which would certainly be interesting! But it’ll probably just be “Weekend Update” fodder.)

What do you think? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.

*Click here to subscribe to Belief Beat and click here to follow Belief Beat on Twitter.

Robert C

posted December 17, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Woof!

nnmns

posted December 17, 2010 at 4:47 pm

He was interested in the performance but I think he really leaned forward when they took their tops off. And the nuns showed a healthy interest.
I was hoping the young lady was a performer, also.

LM

posted December 17, 2010 at 5:25 pm

A lot of people are saying that this shouldn’t have happened because Festivus isn’t a “real” religion. All that matters is if his beliefs are sincerely held.
In this case, they probably aren’t. But, in a future case, they might be.

nnmns

posted December 18, 2010 at 8:12 am

Here’s a story to add to your news roundup. A priest has been denied bail as he fights extradition to Ireland where he’s accused of molesting six boys from 1973 to 1981. He’s also accused in California. And, given the world-wide assets of the RCC and their propensity to take care of their child molesters he most certainly is a flight risk.

kenneth

posted December 18, 2010 at 1:52 pm

A homoerotic undercurrent in the Vatican? I’m shocked, shocked! Still, if we can help them develop a healthy interest in adult consenting partners, it’s all upside. All the GQ boys…to Rome!

Dave Stephenson

posted December 19, 2010 at 2:41 am

A ‘real religion’? What the hell does that mean? A real fairy tale vs a made up one? Are you people all just crazy? Maybe your fantasy beliefs (based in no fact) help you sleep at night, but why do you have to judge other people? In fact, what gives you the right to judge anyone? And please dont tell me your fantasy GOD or made up prophet gives you that authority. Believe all you want, I believe you’re wasting your time.

resale rights

posted December 19, 2010 at 11:58 pm

resale rights

posted December 19, 2010 at 11:59 pm

resale rights
Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/beliefbeat/2010/12/fun-friday-buff-bods-for-the-pope-and-festivus-for-the-rest-of-us.html#preview#ixzz3qGycVt9V

Frank

posted December 20, 2010 at 11:54 am

Robert C,
That’s the first thing you’ve said that I agree with.

Been there-done that

posted December 20, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Everyone is created with free will and that allows you to believe what you wish and do what you want.
However, for those that don’t believe, better hope you are right.
Eternity is forever and does NOT stop upon death, or a wish.
Try sitting in a garage and keep saying you are a car… Doesn’t make you a car, no matter how long or how hard you wish or hope you are.

jestrfyl

posted December 21, 2010 at 11:14 am

A salami free meal? That is all he wants? Give the guy a break and send him a liverwurst sandwich! Nice try on the “Festivus” gambit, but it was – and probably is – just a sitcom creation. has he considered claiming to be a Klingon or a Jedi? They are both getting some recognition.

Robert C

posted December 21, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I wasn’t holding my breath Frank.

More Blogs To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Belief Beat. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy:   Beliefnet News   Good News Happy Reading!

posted 4:57:28pm Feb. 14, 2012 | read full post »

Fun Friday: Atheist Temple Planned for UK's Nonbelievers
Author Alain de Botton has announced plans to build an Atheist temple in the United Kingdom, presumably so nonbelievers have a place to gather and share their philosophies. Um... isn't that what Starbucks is for? Also, I can't wait to see how the architect will handle this kind of project. May

posted 2:53:42pm Jan. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Alaska Airlines: High Payers No Longer Offered Sky Prayers
Alaska Airlines, now the country's seventh-largest airline, has announced it will stop offering prayer cards with its in-flight meals. (It's just raining religion news in the great unchurched Pacific Northwest lately.) I've flown Alaska several times since moving to Seattle, but I confess that I'

posted 11:07:56am Jan. 26, 2012 | read full post »

Washington's Gay Marriage Debate: Clergy vs. Clergy
I reported for Reuters at the Washington state Capitol yesterday, covering the public hearings on a gay marriage bill -- and in between, the breaking news that the state Senate now has enough votes to pass the bill. (The House already had enough votes.) It now appears that Washington's lawmakers wi

posted 11:24:39am Jan. 24, 2012 | read full post »

What Israel's Domestic Policy & Santorum Supporters Have in Common
Hope everyone had an introspective Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, whether observed as a faith-related holiday, a nice break from the work week or something else entirely. Check out this story from Religion & Ethics Newsweekly about how mandatory sentencing for drug crimes and non-violent offens

posted 1:32:44pm Jan. 18, 2012 | read full post »