Belief Beat

Belief Beat

Tea Party & Religious Right: Same Time, Same Place, Different Invite?

posted by Nicole Neroulias

According to a Public Religion Research Institute study released today, Tea Party supporters tend to be members of the religious right — though not all members of the religious right are Tea Party supporters. (Get it?)

From the researchers:

Much of the media coverage has followed the Tea Party movement’s own narrative, which describes it as a grassroots group of libertarian-leaning and independent-minded Americans who have grown disgusted with Washington – a group not beholden to either party, willing to buck conventional politics to get things done.

Our 2010 American Values Survey, released today, turns much of this received wisdom on its head, while confirming a few salient facts.

As expected, Americans who consider themselves part of the Tea Party movement are significantly more non-Hispanic white than the general population (80 percent vs. 69 percent of Americans overall). They are conservative, strong supporters of small government. Eighty percent have a favorable view of Sarah Palin, and 57 percent say they trust Fox News most to give them accurate information about politics and current events.

For more on this story, check out David Gibson’s piece in Politics Daily and Reuters; GetReligion has also addressed the Tea Party faith angle a few times, most recently here.

Incidentally, I just can’t get past the fact that this populist movement’s name sounds like something small children do for fun with their imaginary friends. (At least they’re not calling themselves Tea Baggers anymore!) When kids read about this in their history textbooks (not just in Texas) years from now, will they take it more seriously than it sounds?

*Click here to subscribe to Belief Beat and click here to follow Belief Beat on Twitter.

DLFrantz

posted October 5, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Please note that no person involved in the TEA Party movement has ever used the vulgar term “teabaggers” as a self reference. the term was used by the idiots on CNN, MSNBC and other left wing news outlets. Check it out yourself by Googling the term.

Robert C

posted October 5, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Ah. Nicole. Teabaggers was a term coined by Anderson Cooper. It was a gay slanged, veiled derogatory term used ‘tounge in cheek’ by Anderson, who should not have pointed fingers, especially with anything used ‘tounge in cheek’, at least until he stays out of central park post midnight.

Nicole Neroulias

posted October 5, 2010 at 1:58 pm

There were some protesters calling themselves Tea Baggers earlier this year — that’s what made this so funny at first.
The evolution of the word ‘tea bagger’
Also: I’m Proud to Be A Tea Bagger

gerry

posted October 5, 2010 at 4:10 pm

“Tea bagging” refers to a disgusting “sex act” male homosexuals perform on one another. If a Tea Party member innocently referred to himself as a “Tea Bagger” certainly he or she was unaware of the ugly implications of this slanderous and vulgar term.

Sam

posted October 5, 2010 at 4:11 pm

That is one of the worst things that could happen to us Christians, to be associated with the Tea Party people!

Chall8987

posted October 5, 2010 at 4:16 pm

“‘Tea bagging’ refers to a disgusting “sex act” male homosexuals perform on one another.” – Gerry
Actually, Gerry and any other uninformed people, tea bagging is not a term describing a sex act between gay men. It can describe a sex act between a man and any other person. The fact that you jump on gays as the origin of this “disgusting” term shows your bigotry.

Henrietta22

posted October 5, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Tea Party people are naturally called teabaggers. I didn’t hear any one saying this in particular, it just seemed the appropriate term to use for them. Vulgar is disgusting, most of us would’nt know about it meaning anything else but what we use to drink. The John Birchers were popular back in the 60′s, our neighbor belonged to it and would try and talk it up whenever he caught you in the yard or garage. I liked this neighbor and his family so didn’t argue with him, actually I couldn’t have cared less about politics back then. I told him only once what I thought because he asked me a question, and he said you are idealist my dear. It sounded good to me so I smiled and left. The Tea Party is in my opinion in the same catagory, and if it makes them happy to group together and complain, so be it. They are not going anywhere.

Gwyddion9

posted October 5, 2010 at 5:47 pm

To me, anything that included the RR is questionable and something I view as a threat to the People and Government of the U.S.
The RR has shown itself for being anti constitutional as it seeks to create a religious government based solely on what they want.

JohnQ

posted October 5, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Nicole-
Your making the connection between small children and this movement funded by billionaires brought a smile to my face. So many similarities.
I am with Henrietta22 on this one. The Tea Party movement will go the way of the John Birchers. Strange that….the Koch Bros are major funders of the Tea Party…and their dad funded the John Birch Society.
Peace!

Your Name

posted October 5, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Gerry,
“Tea bagging” refers to a disgusting “sex act” male homosexuals perform on one another.”
Allow me to assure you that heterosexuals (or should that be ‘betterosexuals’?) also perform this act. Seems they don’t find it as “disgusting” as you seem to. You don’t like oral sex? Don’t have it. Leave the adults alone, please.
But you are correct, Tea-baggers (it’s their term) ARE “unaware” – of a lot of things.
P.S. The ‘TEA’ Party initially stood for “Taxed Enough Already” – and that’s just hooey.
I spent about $9,000 fixing up my place in Florida – new windows, new undercoating, etc. – and there was not one single cent of tax on either parts OR labor. There’s NO State income tax. What a crock you guys are buying if you think you’re overtaxed.

Mary

posted October 6, 2010 at 7:06 am

Uh no Gerry….The tea party members did not call themselves teabaggers, that was the wonderful mainstream media who did that.
And yes initially it was from Taxed Enough Already.
As for you who live in Florida, congratulations your state gets it. Don’t tax and you encourage consumers. Unfortunately in New York they don’t get it and probably never will.

kenneth

posted October 6, 2010 at 11:43 am

The Tea Party movement is basically a catch-basin for disaffection in this country right now. That takes in a lot of things. Legitimate disillusionment with a two-party system which has dropped even the pretense of caring about middle class Americans is a big part of that.
On the other hand, there is the religious right, which is disillusioned with the very concept of plural democracy itself and would just as soon end it altogether. There are still other elements of the movement which are just basically disillusioned with reality itself and go in for all sorts of conspiracy theories and thirst for apocalyptic armed uprising with an underlying theme of “racial holy war.”
Not all people in the movement are loons, of course, but all of their candidates to date have been, and every indication is that the main thrust of the movement is (very) thinly veiled hatred of a black president. It ought to be renamed the “Boot Party” in reference to the tradition among skinheads of kicking opponents into submission with steel-toed Doc Marten boots!

jestrfyl

posted October 6, 2010 at 12:34 pm

This whole guise of patriotism and camouflage behind the revolution of 235 years ago is getting kind of silly. They do not seem to have any standard for candidates other than a willingness to share in the silliness. OK – we get you don’t like paying taxes. I also don’t like paying for the dentist, to have my computer repaired, or the postage for sending said taxes. However, I have to do all these things – that is part of life. I appreciate some level of anger at what seems to be money going to wealthy magnates, though this was first proposed by Republicans and it is going to people who are, by and large, Republican.
What I find disagreeable is the whole anti-intellectual rhetoric from this group. I am no elitist, but there comes a point when simply blasting around like three year olds on Big Wheels in order to make a vague but unclear statement accomplishes nothing more than noise. Slavering media puppies like Beck and Palin (she has shown she is no real politician) who are anxiously waiting to grab the scraps thrown them only make it worse. When the Tea Partiers decide to grow up and apply some intellect to what is more bullying rhetoric they might be taken seriously.
By the way “Boston tea” was West Indian rum, not some leafy steeped delicacy from the Orient. Taxation on the leafy stuff would have affected only the most wealthy families. Everyone else choked down chickory flavored drinks. The barrels in Boston Harbor floated because they were emptied before they were tossed – hence the Animal House attitude of the “patriots” (it would be s short step from faux-warriors to “TO-GA! TO-GA!”). Sure, the whole taxation without represntation was important, but not to the “tea Partiers” of 235 years ago. No one protests this much about actual tea, taxed or not. But tell people they cannot have their rum, and they get wild! These modern partiers can’t even get that bit of history right.

Robert C

posted October 6, 2010 at 2:09 pm

If you think that lunacy is a provenance of the far right alone there is a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you.

Henrietta22

posted October 6, 2010 at 2:14 pm

JohnQ, I didn’t know the Kochs were keeping it in the family. ;)

Your Name

posted October 6, 2010 at 3:10 pm

So much ignorance, so little time …
Mary said: “The tea party members did not call themselves teabaggers, that was the wonderful mainstream media who did that”
What? You can’t even READ?
From the timeline link Nicole provided: “Early Tea Partiers innocently embraced the term until they discovered its connotations”.
So, sorry, but you are wrong. It didn’t come from the mainstream media, but from the Tea Baggers themselves – the ones who were, er, ‘uninformed’.
“As for you who live in Florida, congratulations your state gets it.”
Wrong again, Mary. Florida has the 5th worst unemloyment rate in the country.
DO BETTER!

jestrfyl

posted October 6, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Henrietta et al
NPR’s “All Thing Considered” did a piece on the Welch (Birchers) and Koch connection a couple of weeks ago. These people are truly scary. The cocktail of paranoia and wealth seems to be potent and toxic to everyone who drinks from it.

Alicia

posted October 7, 2010 at 10:12 am

I’m sorry that this discussion got so involved in a side issue (about sex and the origin of the derogatory term teabagging) because the point of the story is that the Tea Party styles itself as libertarian small government types, but people on the Religious Right, who make up the majority of the Tea Party, according to this research, couldn’t be farther from libertarians.
Not only are they misrepresenting who they are, but they are the same people who have been dominating the Republican Party for the past 30 years, which is the reason, IMO, it has gone from being the party of adults to the party of two year olds having a tantrum. My late father was a Republican but not a member of the Religious Right, and this is not my father’s Republican Party.

Steven Phillips

posted October 7, 2010 at 11:08 am

When I see what the Tea party has become.. It reminds me of the Taliban more and more every day. The rhetoric is the same.

Robert C

posted October 7, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Alicia. After the takeover of the DNC in 2007, I would suggest that the current Democratic Party is not ‘my’ father’s Democratic Party either. The MSM has driven politics to the ends of the political spectrums.

Alicia

posted October 7, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Hi, Robert. I left the Democratic Party in 2004, and registered Republican. (Not because I liked the leadership of the Republican Party, but because there was no Purple Party to join, and I’d rather be able to vote in primaries.) I’m not particularly a fan of either party, but since I keep voting for Democrats (in some, but not all cases, the lesser of two evils) I am changing my registration back to Democrat. To me, the Democrats are still mired in decades-old political ideas, but the Republicans are worse still.

Daniel

posted October 11, 2010 at 8:19 am

The Tea Partiers seem like they want to take a giant step….. backwards. Back to the dear simple old days of Americana when men were men, women were women, Father was the head of the household, women knew their ” place “, & the USA was always right & always at the top of the pole, etc. Something out of a Norman Rockwell painting. Oh, & ” scary ” entities like Liberals, Gays / Lesbians, & Blacks who sought equality either didn’t exist or where kept out of this idyllic WASP Christian setting.
Where would they put those of us who didn’t fit into their idyllic little Conservative semi – utopian society ? They’d view us as a threat, more than likely.

Herb

posted October 11, 2010 at 8:24 am

My comment is suppose that the tea party was Hispanic and African Americans protesting against the current government what would the people called them. They would be called terroist or communist I think that what we should called the racist tea party.

Daniel

posted October 11, 2010 at 8:26 am

Oh, BTW, the label ” Libertarian ” doesn’t fit these folks. They are solid ultra – Conservatives who see their way as the only way, & who claim to be led by God. So there goes separation of Church & State, hmmm ?

vsdaddy

posted October 11, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I wonder where the “facts” are about those who support the democrats? Without any real data to support my thoughts, I do offer these musings: Atheists, 85%, homosexuals, 98%, socialists, 99%, communists, 97%, abortionists, 70%. I could go on. I wonder why so many people want to research and label conservatives while totally ignoring those on the other side? Does the word “bias” sound familiar. Of oourse, bloggers can say whatever they wish. I just want all you readers to understand that Nicole probably has about as much experience and knowledge of what she writes about as I do (and that is not saying much).

Grumpy Old Person

posted October 11, 2010 at 10:54 pm

You were correct, vsdaddy, Those are not “facts”. They’re falsehoods (i.e. made up figures, aka LIES).
DO BETTER!

Valerie

posted October 12, 2010 at 4:59 am

Thank you, for a great article. Since, most of my friends and myself, support Tea Parties, I found it to be very accurate. They are usually people who want to see America restored to it’s original purpose and values.
Thanks!

Alice Maxwell

posted October 12, 2010 at 5:47 am

All Americans have the right to stand up for what they believe, not just the liberals bent on destroying everything that was what we were for what the New Agers think we should be. As a world traveler, I am amused at the posturing of your writers and bloggers. Frankly, I love different places and cultures but I am always glad to get home to my own and I hate those of you trying to put us all in a blendor and destroy our differences. What a miserable world you are trying to inflict upon us. Thank you, Teabaggers and Partiers for standing for what we have been and should continue to be…a nation that winnows out the chaff and keeps the real kernels of good society!

Mary

posted October 12, 2010 at 5:50 am

I am not against opposition for positive change but I am against opposition just for biased views. Their are and will be people with different views about things and we should learn to respect them too while making our own views known. Our Christian religion teaches us to be tolerant and not to be biased.
Why a lot of people are not happy with the Tea Party movement is the timing, America have been having issues that the Christians needed to stand against but for some reasons their was silence WHY NOW.

Your NameStephanie

posted October 12, 2010 at 6:57 am

I just want to know what is exactly America’s “original purpose and values”? I am not atheist, socialist, communist or an abortionist. However I cringe when I hear that statement, especially when a group of white people say it. History teaches when a white person says this they are not including ANYONE who is different. I love that in the USA we are so many different people and all of us have added something of significance to make this country great. But until I understand what is meant by that statement I will be wary of any candidate who identifies with this “party”.

Gary

posted October 12, 2010 at 7:09 am

Tea Party members NEVER referred to themselves as “tea baggers.” That was a demeaning label that the liberal socialist democrats attempted to place on them, while they giggled to each behind the cameras. How is it that they, (the liberal socialist democrats), can continually attack what is right by any basic form of logic? They stand for all that exhibits corruption and total lack of moral or ethical fiber and our few remaining conservative leaders still look for compromise. Our beliefs have no more room for compromise. The bible teaches us that great nations rise in his glory, but are turned over to their enemies when they forget and stray from the path. This is a cal to action. We need men and women of faith to make the time to get involved and turn this country back on the course of honoring our lord Jesus Christ.

monkey

posted October 12, 2010 at 8:33 am

Gary,
I could easily turn your harsh, judgemental words around on you and refer to you and yours as “the conservative fascist history warping republicans”, but I won’t… I could shred your statement line by line, word by word, but I won’t…
I’d put my moral and ethical fiber up against anyones, any time, any place, but I won’t…
I can unequivocally defend what I believe to be right by every basic form of logic, but I won’t…
I could also call into question whether this nation was founded to honor Jesus Christ or not, but I won’t…
I am, quite frankly, thoroughly finished with the feelings of hate that are not only cast at those on the left, but for the feelings that I too have felt for far too long towards those on the right.
I don’t even know you, yet I have this instant visceral dislike for you, and I am genuinely troubled about that, because chances are, you are a pretty decent dude, doing all you can to live by your convictions… and on my journey of faith, I am re-learning from the example set by Christ, the simplest of His teachings, to love one another above all else… which fits right in with my moral and ethical fiber, thank you very much.
… and THAT is what is truly missing in our world today, period.
So I say, continue to support what you support, good for you, seriously, and I will do the same, which incidentally, does not include “destroying America”… but the hate-speak has to stop, and that is coming from a very loud voice in my head that I just know is God nudging me along.
What’s So Funny About Peace, Love & Understanding?

Your NameJimmt

posted October 12, 2010 at 8:39 am

These Tea party people are the new Natzi party that blames Goverment for all the problems in America and has no solutions, but wants to cut Taxes and Social programs, that they themselves use.God help us if these bigots get elected!

Mary Clara

posted October 12, 2010 at 9:30 am

Each time I hear or see the words Tea Party I think of the early colonists who boarded a ship in Boston Harbor and poured all the tea aboard into Boston Bay. I try to imagine the sight of early risers as they walked along the harbor the next morning wondering why there was the scent of tea in the air. I wonder what they thought as they noticed the sea water suddenly did not smell like salt, but more like a pot of tea simmering on the stove.
The original tea party was a revolt against their British rulers who imposed a tax on imports of the tea they loved so much. They did not hold anger rallies or call people rude, crude and unattractive names. They quietly worked under cover and made their point. Name calling has become almost intolerable in this country. As I used tell my students when I taught in elementary schools. A person who resorts to name calling reveals a lack of intelligence. They are not intelligent enough to speak with civility and resort to name calling which only degrades them in the eyes of others.
I remember when in this country it was considered treason for a citizen to call a president derogatory names. I wonder what our country would be like if this were true today. Too many citizens lack the intelligence to speak in complete, intelligent sentences and their babbling makes little sense. Politicians used to be respected members of our society however so many have fallen from grace it causes one to wonder. Where, Oh where have all the good guys gone!!!

Vic

posted October 12, 2010 at 9:44 am

I am a Christian by Choice and a Republican by Choice but yuo don’t have to be either to join with the Tea Party. Taxed Enough Already is somewhat more meaningful than The Grand Old Party (GOP)or whatever the term Democrat equates to these days. I come from a family of Truman and Kennnedy Democrats who whould not recognize the current Democratic party. I also believe that The Fair Tax is the way to cure much of what is wrong with government at the Federal level. Many people in the Tea Party want tax reform of the Income tax and other fedearl taxes. I have been to two rallies of over 3 thousand people and they are very orderly, patriotic and respectful….the message here is we should not stereotype but investigate for ourselves. ooooh yes…God Bless America…otherwise we are screwed or must learn Chinese

Paul

posted October 12, 2010 at 10:12 am

Fellow Christians – if we are going to dismantle the government – how do we live up to what Christ has called us to do in Matthew 25 – to take care of the least of these? If the world we running properly, the catholic church (deliberately small c) would be strong enough to run hospitals and provide for the general welfare (i.e. food, shelter, etc. for those in need). Unfortunately the facts of life are (1) many of our churches are struggling to just keep their heads above water financially (2) Americans aren’t following the commandment to tithe (3) Less than half of Americans go to church any more. If the government isn’t there to provide what the churches cannot, we will earn an F on Matthew 25 – that is unacceptable to this Christian.

Tom

posted October 12, 2010 at 10:40 am

Paul, you seem to have overlooked one minor detail: The government is $12 trillion in DEBT!! It simply isn’t providing for anyone, nor has it been since the late 70s. Not that I think we should “dismantle” it, but it should be reigned in a bit. But we have to dismantle the illusion that it “provides” for us. That is essentially what communists believed. Without taxpayers, there is no “government purse”.

Larry

posted October 12, 2010 at 11:26 am

Like so many others who report on the Tea Party movement, you depend on each other for information rather on actual experience and the Tea Party members themselves. Points to consider:
1. While there may be a tendency for members to be of the so-called “Religious Right”, conservative Christians are as different from one another and diverse a group as the Tea Party. For someone to view either of those groups as homogeneous is as ignorant and offensive as someone stating that “all Hispanics look alike” and further reflects the lack of knowledge and examination of the group by the observer.
2. For you to think of a child’s play time rather than the important event the Boston Tea Party played in our country’s history may just be a strong connection you have to your own childhood, but for most Americans, I would hope the protest event would be the one that would connect.
3. The Tea Party members never referred to themselves as tea-baggers. That was used by many so-called journalists in weak attempts at sophomoric humor. The tea bag was used as a convenient, easy to mail, symbol.
4. The Tea Party is an attempt to send a message to all politicians, and hopefully to journalists as well. The people of these United States who believe it’s Constitution is what sets it apart from the rest of the world, are ready to cast out from positions of influence those who would disregard that document and all that it means. Read Thomas Paine’s Common Sense and apply the logic therein to our current government. Something has to change or we will cease to be the nation that so much of the rest of the world tries to be part of.

actionbuzz

posted October 12, 2010 at 11:51 am

Larry, while one might believe your comments about the Tea Party being a group that wants us to hold to our Constitution, one must carefully study the Constitution. If we were to be honest with ourselves, no political party or group of people have remotely followed the tenants of the Constitution or Bill of Rights. This nation was founded supposedly in the interest of religious freedom, liberty and justice for al, but that is not what you see today, even among the conservative, right-ringed so called Christians. Before we form a group to dismantle the “government” as we know it today we each individually must take a look in the mirror to see just who we are and be honest with ourselves — we are a long way away from the Kingdom of God and even a so-called christian nation. America needs a spiritual transformation first and foremost, not a government reconfiguration.

Franklin

posted October 12, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Action Buzz, you make more sense than anyone making comments on this article.Neither party or side of the political pendulum has upheld the constitution. And yes,America needs a spiritual transformation (not necessarily more religious rhetoric). Larry, while I agree with you that there is variance within the religious right and even within political parties, the disturbing thing about the Tea Party is the lack of variance in other demographics. Why is that?

Justicia

posted October 12, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I’m am still confused, about “why” the Tea Party is filled with such venom at this point in time?
I remember the horrific things that President Bush did; but no one had anything to say. If I’m correct, WE ARE IN THIS PREDICAMENT, “BECAUSE” OF GEORGE BUSH! Why not the same outrage????
Now, that President Obama is in office, “all hell” is breaking loose, when he is trying to keep us “above” water. How in the world can we expect the government to get US out of 8 years of mess, in less than 2 years??? Unbelieveable!!!
The only thing that comes to mind, when trying to make an intelligent decision or come a rational conclusion; Is the difference merely the race of the President? Here me out! If things were worse under Bush, and in fact, he’s the one that got us into this damable situation; and I did not hear a “peep” out of people like the “Tea Party.” What’s up with that???
Now, in comes a Black President, who DID NOT get us into this delimna, who is working very hard to “get” us OUT of the muck and mire that we have been lead into; BUT, because HE CANNOT get us OUT quickly enough: all of a sudden, “they want there country back?”
What the HELL IS THAT??…..I ASK YOU!!!
Using intelligent deductions and analysis, it smells clearly of racial prejudice! YOU CANNOT CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE!
GOD HELP US ALL, “IF” WE GO BACK TO THE WAY OUR COUNTRY USED TO BE!!

Robert C

posted October 18, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Justicia what have you been smoking? For the last six years of W’s term the left battered him unmercifully. I can still list many of the bl;og sites and supposed journalists who called him a moron and worse. The roots of the financial mess reach well into the Clinton administration and earlier. Both parties had a hand in the mess. Barney Frank may lose his seat in three weeks because his constituents are well aware of the part he played in the crash. Obama spent the first year and a half of his administration focusing on getting a health care bill, any health care bill, to sign. He never even read the legislatiion that was finally sent to his desk. You infer that you are color blind but there are black folk in the Tea party. The chants of ‘racism’ hold no water. Obama wanted the presidency. Criticism is part of the package. To try to isolate him from legitimate opposition by frothing the cries of racism is itself racist and makes him look worse. Rethink your statements.

daintress

posted October 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm

The end of this article makes all of it suspect. We never called OURSELVES “tea-baggers.” That was a lewd nickname provided by mainstream media. Nice try, but I guess you’re no journalist, if you can’t even figure THAT out.

Nicole Neroulias

posted October 18, 2010 at 4:16 pm

daintress, if you read all the comments before posting, you’ll see that your point was already made and then debunked.
The evolution of the word ‘tea bagger’
Also: I’m Proud to Be A Tea Bagger

Robert C

posted October 18, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Nicole. The correlation between Tax day and the original Boston Tea Party was the original focus pure and simple. Conservatives following that line of thought urged like minded fellows to protest by ‘sending tea bags’ to the WH and congress. However, it was clearly the very gay Rachel Maddow and the closeted by equally gay Anderson Cooper who decided to demean the action by explicitly linking it to the notorious practice dubbed tea bagging in gay urban slang. The Boston gay periodical The Edge admitted as much immediately after Cooper’s on air smirk.
Daintress in quite right and the other posters incorrect. It actually doesn’t matter since Rachel’s insinuations were well planned and discussed in pre air meeting with her staff.

Grumpy Old Person

posted October 20, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Robert C,
“For the last six years of W’s term the left battered him unmercifully.”
Pardon me in advance for pointing out the obvious, but he deserved it. Weapons of mass destruction anyone? Abu Ghraib anyone? Habeas Corpus anyone? Waterboarding anyone? Tax breaks for the richest 2% anyone? Largest deficits EVER anyone?
Et cetera.