Belief Beat

Belief Beat

Fun Friday: Vampire Author Anne Rice Quits Christianity (Again)

posted by Nicole Neroulias

Long before Team Edward and Team Jacob, before Sookie Stackhouse and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, there was Lestat, Louis and their fellow undead frenemies, creatures of the night cooked up by author Anne Rice.

After quitting the vampire book biz and spending the last 10 years publicly reembracing the Catholicism of her youth — including writing two books about Jesus — Rice has suddenly announced on Facebook that she’s leaving Christianity again. The Orlando Sentinel’s Religion World blog, The Associated Press and Politics Daily have the story, including this part of her message:

As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I’m out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.

Ah, yet another breakup via Facebook. Seems clear enough… except that she follows that post up with Biblical quotes and a statement affirming that her faith in Christ remains central to her life. So, I assume all this means she’s quitting organized religion, not Christianity, exactly. Then again, she’s an author — she knows what words mean. Hmmm. (Beliefnet’s Idol Chatter blog is also perplexed, though as much about the medium as the message.)

On a shallow note, I wonder if this means we’ll get more Vampire Chronicles, particularly movie adaptations — it has struck me as a shame that the current demonic hearthrob craze hasn’t made use of any Rice characters. Lestat’s already been played by Tom Cruise and Stuart Townsend on the big screen, then by Hugh Panaro on Broadway… if Robert Pattinson doesn’t manage to make the jump to hot-blooded leading man, I say give him a shot. Or, maybe he’s more of a Louis…

What do you think? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.

*Click here to subscribe to Belief Beat and click here to follow Belief Beat on Twitter.

Apuleius Platonicus

posted July 30, 2010 at 10:32 am

On the one hand there is some ambiguity in Ms. Rice’s public statements. But on the other hand you are absolutely right to point out that Anne Rice is a professional, and a very proficient, author — and she knows what words mean.
In fact, Anne Rice’s writings on Christianity (and religion generally) over the years have shown a great deal of depth and nuance. For example, she lavishly praised Egyptologist Jan Assmann’s book “Moses the Egyptian”, which was, to put it mildly, highly critical of Christianity and of all forms of monotheism. Here is a link to that review at Amazon (yes, she writes reviews at Amazon under her real name — which I think is extremely cool):
Personally I think that Rice still gives Jesus far more credit than he deserves. After all, he taught: “by their fruits shall ye know them.” Therefore Jesus should be judged along with the Christian religion, rather than insisting, as Rice does, on giving Jesus a pass, while holding Christianity accountable.

MARTIN S.

posted July 30, 2010 at 11:48 am

Christianity is NOT the fashion of the day,
the flavor of the month, NOT some club you
can join or quit!!
To use the Name of the LORD, you must
have an understanding that you are in Him,
of Him, for Him !! Anything else is vain!!

CDRSJB

posted July 30, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Dear Apuleius Platonicus,
I is unfortunate that we cannot judge Christ based on the behavior of many Christians, although some represent him well (Mother Teresa, perhaps). However, it does not seem rational for us to judge Jesus Christ. After all, He preached a gospel of peace and brotherly love, healed the sick, the blind, the lame, fed thousands with a handful of food, raised people from the dead, and effectively, raise Himself from the dead. It would be more reasonable to assume He was (and is) who He he claimed to be and recognize that He is God and you and I are not (thus not in a position to judge). The fact that Christians often fail to adequately represent Him is irrelevant to the truth of who He is.

Apuleius Platonicus

posted July 30, 2010 at 12:51 pm

CDRSJB: “He preached a gospel of peace and brotherly love … [bla bla bla bla]”
In fact, Jesus taught that those who choose not to accept his teachings are damned (while those who do accept his teachings will have the ability to speak in tongues and cast out demons). [Matthew 16:16-18]
Jesus encouraged his disciples to cultivate an attitude of contempt for all those who disagreed with them — to literally “shake the dust from their feet” when they left a house of village where anyone dared to prefer some other teaching to that of Jesus. [Matthew 10:14]
Jesus also encourages Christians to adopt an attitude of arrogance and hostility toward all other religions: “No one comes to the Father except through me.” [John 14:16]
One day Jesus was hungry. He saw a fig tree, but the tree had no figs on it. So he cursed the tree, and it shriveled and died. [Mark 11:12-14]
In fact, throughout the New Testament, including the Gospels, one can easily find case after case of explicitly intolerant ideas. Seek and ye shall find.

Henrietta22

posted July 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I haven’t read anything of Anne Rice, and in reading what she quits, and is against, who cares? All her againsts doesn’t seem to have anything to do with Christianity, but only to do with her angst.

Mike Whitesell

posted July 30, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Who cares. Her concept of Christianity was strained, her commitment to it strained, and her agenda obvious from the outset.

Joe Gonzalez

posted July 30, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Dear Anne Rice,
Let not the shortcomings of institutionalized Christianity sever you from Christ. The parable of the wheat and chaff in the field is meant directly for the Church. Rather follow St. Thomas Aquinas and let your conscience be your guide ; make your own way inside the maze.
But if you leave Jesus and choose another shepherd, be darned sure you’ll lose your way, worse off than you were before. This is another
re-born Catholic speaking to you. Many prelates there are that are not of Jesus’ herd, though they bear scepter and mitre. Take Matthew 25 ; 31-46 as your guiding beacon, the Lord will sort the rest out.
Weather the storm !

Henrietta22

posted July 30, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Just read an article on CNN, and I was right about her angst. Christ isn’t included in it, just the Churches, and the people following doctrine. Looking at it in this regard I understand where she is coming from.

ce

posted July 30, 2010 at 10:43 pm

If He be lifted up on earth we will draw all men unto Him. If we be ashame of Him on earth He will be ashame of us before the Father. Jesus loves you right know you are confuse and about self fame and whats going on around you, never give up on Chirst. Thats a wrong decission but it still is a personal choice. Choose you this day whom you will serve. Lend not to your own understanding but in all your ways acknowledge Him(Jesus) and He(Jesus) shall dirct your path.
I pray the best for you.

Alicia

posted July 31, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Sigh. If only Sean Bean were still young enough to play Lestat! He’d be awesome in the role!
Tom Cruise was not a bad Lestat – even Anne Rice came around to liking his performance, but it’s hard to get past his being Tom Cruise. On the other hand, Brad Pitt as Louis was awful. He seemed so afraid of mussing his long hair that he hardly moved his head.
I liked the first two books in the Vampire Chronicles, especially “The Vampire Lestat,” but thought the series got rather dull after that.
I’ve been on vacation this week so I’ve been watching old episodes of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” online through Netflix. I’m up to Episode 7 of Season 2. Forgot how awesome it was. Cheers!

Robert C

posted August 1, 2010 at 1:26 am

Something must have bit her. Again. I lived in Nola while Anne was in residence and met her several times. She impressed me more as wanting to be more like Auntie Mame than Anti anything else. Since she has altered her statements every hour on the hour, I suppose her position is evolving. However she states that she remains a follower of Christ while finding Christians hostile and disputatious. She should look in a mirror. But then again, could she she ever do so without it shattering?

Paulita

posted August 5, 2010 at 1:39 pm

First of all, no Church died for my sins, only Jesus did that, & that includes the sins of fornication, adultery and sodomy. The Church in the last days, according to the Bible, will have a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof. We already see the Episcopalian Church, Lutheran, Methodist, conforming to the world instead of the Word. Unitarianism was literally founded on rebellion against God & the Catholic Church is full of cynics and pseudo philosophers who don’t even read the Bible in the first place, they just do what their priests tell them. (I’m not saying every member of every church, but by and large.) So Anne Rice is “leaving Christianity,” another phony convert who did not come to serve or be renewed, but to be served & stay just like she was before pledging to follow Christ. Anybody can play church but Christianity requires discipleship. It doesn’t matter how many books you sell.

pagansister

posted August 5, 2010 at 2:06 pm

As a proud UU and Pagan, I’m glad that Anne has decided that what the RCC stands for, in her opinion, isn’t what she can agree with. Why would one stay with a religious organization that is counter to what she feels is right?
Paulita, no church or man died for my “sins”. He did because he ticked off the established government at the time.

Barb

posted August 9, 2010 at 6:14 am

Sad to hear…but God tells us “in so many words, you don’t have time for me, I won’t have time for you….eternity without Him…not a good picture to contemplate….perhaps writing on the dark side has brought about this falling away frim the church….spending time in the demonic realm can bring this about…..

More Blogs To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Belief Beat. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy:   Beliefnet News   Good News Happy Reading!

posted 4:57:28pm Feb. 14, 2012 | read full post »

Fun Friday: Atheist Temple Planned for UK's Nonbelievers
Author Alain de Botton has announced plans to build an Atheist temple in the United Kingdom, presumably so nonbelievers have a place to gather and share their philosophies. Um... isn't that what Starbucks is for? Also, I can't wait to see how the architect will handle this kind of project. May

posted 2:53:42pm Jan. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Alaska Airlines: High Payers No Longer Offered Sky Prayers
Alaska Airlines, now the country's seventh-largest airline, has announced it will stop offering prayer cards with its in-flight meals. (It's just raining religion news in the great unchurched Pacific Northwest lately.) I've flown Alaska several times since moving to Seattle, but I confess that I'

posted 11:07:56am Jan. 26, 2012 | read full post »

Washington's Gay Marriage Debate: Clergy vs. Clergy
I reported for Reuters at the Washington state Capitol yesterday, covering the public hearings on a gay marriage bill -- and in between, the breaking news that the state Senate now has enough votes to pass the bill. (The House already had enough votes.) It now appears that Washington's lawmakers wi

posted 11:24:39am Jan. 24, 2012 | read full post »

What Israel's Domestic Policy & Santorum Supporters Have in Common
Hope everyone had an introspective Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, whether observed as a faith-related holiday, a nice break from the work week or something else entirely. Check out this story from Religion & Ethics Newsweekly about how mandatory sentencing for drug crimes and non-violent offens

posted 1:32:44pm Jan. 18, 2012 | read full post »