Belief Beat

Belief Beat

Fun Friday: Holocaust Survivor Disco Dances at Auschwitz

posted by Nicole Neroulias

I’ve found a working YouTube link, so that’s fixed for now. (Please post in the Comments section if it stops working, and I’ll find another one again.)

It’s a matter of global Jewish blogosphere debate whether this YouTube video of a Holocaust survivor triumphantly dancing to “I Will Survive” with his grandchildren at central European concentration camps and other Nazi sites qualifies as inspirational or disrespectful

My vote goes to inspirational. Then again, I bawled during Life is Beautiful and laughed during Inglourious Basterds; people who had other reactions to those films might feel differently about this video, too. Check it out:

Plus, as far as Jewish debates go this week, it’s at least more entertaining than the uproar over a conversion bill that may give Israel’s Orthodox rabbis the authority to determine who is a Jew, which could impact things like Israeli citizenship, marriages and funeral rites. (Nevermind whether you would have been considered Jewish enough to be sent to the places where this survivor now triumphantly dances; many Holocaust victims and self-identifying Jews today wouldn’t meet these proposed standards.) For more on why diaspora Jews in America and elsewhere have cause for concern, check out my Columbia J-school classmate Alana Newhouse’s op-ed piece in The New York Times.

What do you think? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.

*Click here to subscribe to Belief Beat and click here to follow Belief Beat on Twitter.

Henrietta22

posted July 16, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Emotions of people are never the same. The judgers should just think their thoughts and keep quiet.
The Orthodox Jews deciding on who should be a Jewish person shouldn’t control unorthodox members of the Jewish religion. But then it is Israel and not the U.S.A. Can’t understand why they wouldn’t rather be where there is freedom from this Orthodox person there.

dianne bruhin

posted July 16, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Much is stated biblically about serving God with joy and gladness with no qualifications added. Whatever horrors can occur in our world in general and to us specifically there is this purposeful dictate, rich with abundant promise, giving way to the Truth that we cannot be overcome by the darkness that seeks to destroy us. What boldness to rejoice in the face of it all… even dance over what could have been our own grave sight. I for one found delight in the strength producing joy of this 89 year old man dancing with his grandchildren, this speaks more of remembering and overcoming than anything I have experienced over the years of attending the Holocaust Awareness Week at the local university in my community. Bravo!

Your Name MaryLou Ross

posted July 16, 2010 at 3:26 pm

This country seems it’s on a perpetual vendetta – complain and find fault with everything, everyone, whatever is done, what isn’t done, etc. Old saying “Some people would complain if they were hung with a NEW ROPE”.
This man definetly felt joyful because he was there, he survived, and he could bring his posterity to enjoy the moment with him. I firmly believe there is a very fine veil between us and those that have gone on before and I can just imagine the happiness experienced by all of the souls lost in that camp – I’m sure they wre rejoicing also. All I can say is “Dance, old man! Dance!”

chris querry

posted July 16, 2010 at 3:36 pm

My great grandparents were from Austria and were holocaust survivers.If they haden’t survived I would’nt be here.I applaud the holocaust surviver that does the disco on the tained grounds of of his nightmares. Anyone at his age should be applauded for just being able to dance, Period. Bless his grandchildren for supporting him and his beliefs. Bravo to this triumphant gentleman. May he sleep peaceful now.

nnmns

posted July 16, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I can’t comment on the videos except that it looks joyful to me.
As far as the bill in the Knesset, it’s the kind of thing fundamentalists will always do sooner or later if a country is foolish enough to give them power. If I were Israeli I’d absolutely hate it, I think, though I’m not really sure of the status of atheist Israelis.
But since my country is America and our connection with Israel is one of the worst things happening to us I hope they pass this and it causes a disconnect between American Jews and Israel. Of course it probably won’t bother the American fundamentalist Christians who make up the other part of the Israeli lobby in America that hurts us so much.

junef19

posted July 19, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I am a Holocaust survivor but I could not see anything like this at a place like Auschwitz where so many people perished. This could not be a place of joy for anybody. I think if he would really want to show joy privately it would be a different situation. This way it showed disrespect to the victims.I don’t understand this kind of behavior and I am appalled.

blogfreegamepark

posted July 30, 2010 at 1:19 am

Welcome to free game park play free game pc, there have more free game to play, as family feud free game & chess free game.

personal loans

posted August 23, 2010 at 1:25 am

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

coffee gifts

posted August 24, 2010 at 9:05 pm

You without doubt have a style all your own when it comes to creating these nice blog posts.

cakes

posted September 8, 2010 at 6:30 am

Good blog! I truly love how it’ s easy on my eyes and the facts are well written. I am wondering how I can be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which should do the trick! Have a nice day!

More Blogs To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Belief Beat. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy:   Beliefnet News   Good News Happy Reading!

posted 4:57:28pm Feb. 14, 2012 | read full post »

Fun Friday: Atheist Temple Planned for UK's Nonbelievers
Author Alain de Botton has announced plans to build an Atheist temple in the United Kingdom, presumably so nonbelievers have a place to gather and share their philosophies. Um... isn't that what Starbucks is for? Also, I can't wait to see how the architect will handle this kind of project. May

posted 2:53:42pm Jan. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Alaska Airlines: High Payers No Longer Offered Sky Prayers
Alaska Airlines, now the country's seventh-largest airline, has announced it will stop offering prayer cards with its in-flight meals. (It's just raining religion news in the great unchurched Pacific Northwest lately.) I've flown Alaska several times since moving to Seattle, but I confess that I'

posted 11:07:56am Jan. 26, 2012 | read full post »

Washington's Gay Marriage Debate: Clergy vs. Clergy
I reported for Reuters at the Washington state Capitol yesterday, covering the public hearings on a gay marriage bill -- and in between, the breaking news that the state Senate now has enough votes to pass the bill. (The House already had enough votes.) It now appears that Washington's lawmakers wi

posted 11:24:39am Jan. 24, 2012 | read full post »

What Israel's Domestic Policy & Santorum Supporters Have in Common
Hope everyone had an introspective Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, whether observed as a faith-related holiday, a nice break from the work week or something else entirely. Check out this story from Religion & Ethics Newsweekly about how mandatory sentencing for drug crimes and non-violent offens

posted 1:32:44pm Jan. 18, 2012 | read full post »