Today is America’s Flag Day, part of the presidentially proclaimed Flag Week.
I wasn’t sure whether to post about this. For starters, isn’t every day basically Flag Day – especially at a time of war and when a big sporting event, like the World Cup soccer tournament, is going on? Maybe it depends on what part of the country and/or world you live in?
But, there are some faith-related discussions going on that I found interesting, regarding church-state separation, the recently upheld “under God” addition to the Pledge of Allegiance, and how religious affiliation factors into ethnic and national identity, patriotism and politics in general. A few examples:
- Flag Day allegiances (Faith Matters)
- Happy Flag Day (Beliefnet)
- Flag Day OK, allegiance not so much (Muncie Star Press)
- Flag Day Prayer (First Amendment Religion Clauses)
- Flag Daze: What is the Tea Party waving, exactly? (Boston Globe)
Check back for updates, and share your thoughts in the Comments section below.