Belief Beat

Belief Beat

Happy (?) Everybody Draw Muhammad Day?

posted by Nicole Neroulias

After Seattle artist Molly Norris jokingly suggested that May 20 become “Everybody Draw Mohammed Day,” in reponse to last month’s brouhaha over the South Park 200th episode poking fun at this ongoing cartoon controversy, she tried to backtrack by taking down her website and avoiding interviews.

No matter. According to CNN, more than 7,000 images of Islam’s prophet have been uploaded today, though the Washington Post reports that most editorial cartoonists have avoided the subject. (Unfortunately, though we’ve probably crossed paths around town in the last few weeks, I haven’t been able to reach Norris myself; you can check out the Seattle P-I’s interview with her here.)

What I find interesting — and what Norris seemed to be getting at in her original cartoon, which included “depictions” of Muhammad as a cup of coffee and a spool of thread — is the question of at what point a devout Muslim finds a depiction offensive? What if I draw a happy face here and say it’s the Prophet Muhammad? :-) And why, as South Park basically asked, does this one person get to be off limits in a multifaith, multicultural world? Certainly, it seems like Muslims have a lot more to worry about, both from within and outside their communities, than a few mean-spirited sketches.

Also, for what it’s worth, not all Muslims believe that drawings of Muhammad are sinful and must be censored; there are some beautiful old Persian manuscripts that depicted him during the Middle Ages.

Thoughts?

*Click here to subscribe to Belief Beat and click here to follow Belief Beat on Twitter.

Robyn Su

posted May 20, 2010 at 4:22 pm

No religion should be off limits to ridicule.

pagansister

posted May 20, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Sounds like a plan to me…however my artistic skills are really, really limited!

apajee safdaray

posted May 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm

we the muslims dont disgrace other religions
otherwise we have hands too,to everybody draws jesus

usk0

posted May 20, 2010 at 5:38 pm

“otherwise we have hands too,to everybody draws jesus”
go for it

Vectren

posted May 20, 2010 at 5:48 pm

“we the muslims dont disgrace other religions”
No, you just blow them up instead.

MJ

posted May 20, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Um, I thought that if you didn’t follow the Muslim faith, you were considered an infidel, and therefore fair game for extremist bombers. Am I wrong? Jihad anyone?

souleye

posted May 20, 2010 at 6:49 pm

persians who drew pictures of the prophet muhammad are not orthodox muslims. this whole brouhaha revolves around how we can keep a civilized debate. I had a friend named mildred. I called her millie, she said she didn’t like it. I stopped. here, muslims are saying ‘we don’t like you to make depictions of our prophet’ and you say ‘we don’t give a damn’. it’s not free speech it’s idiocy. I’ve always believed you don’t tell imbeciles ‘you are free’. they’re gonna abuse it.

Jertex

posted May 20, 2010 at 6:50 pm

There are and always will be those who are overzealous in their religions and are insulted by things drawn, said or written about the “heroes” of their religions. But the overzealous fundamentalist fanatics of Islam threaten to murder and terrorize and actually do so supposedly because of what they consider insults to their religion. Of course most of humanity knows that the real reasons are both politically and power related and have nothing to do with religion. Hate mongers and those who encourage sin in the name of their religion will be held accountable to God just as though they themselves have committed those sins!

Henrietta22

posted May 20, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I saw a pic. of a sidewalk stick drawing of Mohammand, and some Muslim people with a sense of humour drew boxing gloves around its stick hands and wrote Cassius Clay under it. I think it was CNN. That’s how people should react about a joke.

Robert David Graham

posted May 20, 2010 at 7:27 pm

The post above says “this whole brouhaha revolves around how we can keep a civilized debate”, and he is right.
“Civilized” debate means that NOTHING is above criticism, insult, or ridicule. Civilized debate means that you have a thick skin, and don’t get easily offended, especially when no offense is intended.
“Uncivilized” debate means that you get offended by the littlest things. There is nothing in Islam that forbids images of the prophet. Worshiping graven images if forbidden, exactly as in Christianity, but this has nothing to do with political cartoons. Muslims demonstrated that they are uncivilized when they made up a new reason to be offended after the Danish cartoon scandal.
Here is my Everybody Draw Muhammad Day cartoon, btw.

khtab

posted May 20, 2010 at 7:32 pm

look! I’m muslem you I can
forgive any thing except insult my religion or my prophet mohamed or my god…every muslim love mohamed more than his parents ..so I’m telling you I hear many young people wanna join to AL_QAEDA to get their revenge..so there is deferent between freedom and
hurt people felling..don’t blame us if the muslims be AL- AL_QAEDA..and yes we will dring your blood..and we are terorrist …
dont liston to crying to who this is not islam …I’m telling you the muslims are lions most loving to dead for allah and mohamed ..

????? ????almola khtab

posted May 20, 2010 at 7:37 pm

look! I’m muslem you I can
forgive any thing except insult my religion or my prophet mohamed or my god…every muslim love mohamed more than his parents ..so I’m telling you I hear many young people wanna join to AL_QAEDA to get their revenge..so there is a deferent between freedom and
hurt people felling..don’t blame us if the muslims be AL_QAEDA..and yes we will dring your blood..and we are terorrist …
dont liston to crying to who say” this is not islam” …I’m telling you the muslims are lions the most loving to dead for allah and mohamed ..
allah greatest==???? ????

What I Think

posted May 20, 2010 at 8:12 pm

????? ????almola khtab:
In that case, I hope you get an opportunity to die for your religion really soon.

Michelle

posted May 20, 2010 at 9:26 pm

You know what? I don’t even care if there IS something in the Islamic faith that forbids humorous images of the prophet. I just can’t take this level of ignorance anymore. I support a media onslaught of Mohammed cartoons in the USA, in hopes that these people will just go away. I have no time for this and I don’t think anybody at Facebook does either.

pagansister

posted May 20, 2010 at 9:44 pm

It is really sad that there are some that think that threats will stop folks from their freedom to express themselves, ie, pictures of the head of a faith. How many drawings etc. are there of JC, or Buddha, or others that are worshiped? This freedom should stop for one particular faith…that of the Muslim faith? Why?
IMO, and some will disagree with me, I think most Muslims are peaceful, and not wanting to blow up the world, to make it a Muslim world. It is the zealous guys and gals (perhaps like the above poster who claims to be a Muslim, expressing dire consequences for drawings etc.) who give the entire faith a really bad name. In fact, extremists of any faith tend to give the whole group a bad reputation.
almola khtab: Your threats have no effect on folks. Blood drinking etc. That’s impressive…NOT. IF you are truly a Muslim as you claim, you must realize that those who are not Muslim do not have to follow the rule that claims that drawings are fobidden. Do not try to push your rules on those of us who don’t care to adapt them in our world. BTW, how does anyone know just what the Prophet looks like if some one (probably a Muslim) hadn’t drawn in the first place? Was that person eliminated? Just thought I’d ask.

Al

posted May 20, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Message to Khtab:
Muslims not only insult but curse Jews, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. in their prayers and sermons on a daily basis. So what you’re really saying is the Muslims can insult and curse non-Muslims, but non-Muslims cannot insult Islam.
In other words, you’re just a big bloodthirsty bully.
Buddy, if you’re one of those guys who wants to die more than we want to live, there is a mutually agreeable arrangemnt we can come to.

Fastthumbs

posted May 20, 2010 at 10:26 pm

0\|/
/\
Look, I just drew the Prophet Mohammed!
0\|/
/\
And this is Jesus Christ.
0\|/
/\
And this is Budda
0\|/
/\
And this is Moses.
So now what, am I under a death sentence?

kendra

posted May 20, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I drew several pictures of Mohammad and uploaded them today. What I notice over and over again is that many columnists– including Neroulias– completely ignores the fact that Muslims are mandated to do jihad or support jihad until dar al Islam– until the entire world is under Islamic rule. Violence is mandated in Islam. Save three, every mention of Jihad refers to violent warfare (only three times is it mentioned referring to an “inner struggle”).
Depicting Mohammad isn’t forbidden in the KOran, but the fear of being disobedient in Islam is so great, that drawings are now forbidden, lest people inadvertently pray to the depiction of Mohammad, i.e., worship an idol.
Islam is really all about Mohammad. The Koran is a rulebook on how to behave and treat other people. There are one set of rules for Muslims to treat other Muslims and another set for Muslims to treat non-Muslims, or Kafirs. Anything Mohammad did is considered permissible and is considered “sunna”. So, if during jihad, Mohammad beheads all men with public hair and enslaves the women and children (and he did), then all Muslims are permitted to do the same thing. If Mohammad married a six year old and rapes her at nine (and he did), all Muslim men are permitted to do the same thing. If Mohammad said there shall be no Jews or Christians in Saudi Arabia (and he did), Muslims are mandated today not to permit Jews or Christians in Saudi Arabia or what was considered the Arabian Peninsula. If Mohammad said Allah orders jihad until the entire world is under Islamic rule (and he did), then Muslims are required to do jihad (or support JIhad) until the entire world is under Islamic rule. According to the Koran, only then will there be “peace”– dar al Islam or the HOuse of Islam– when the entire world is under Islamic rule.
Their religious books drives Jihad. This Khtab jihadi guy who posted on here is just being an obedient Muslim. He’s not “extreme”; he’s just following what Mohammad said. His morals, like other obedient and devout Muslims are completely inverted. It’s okay to remove girls’ entire sexual organ, for instance, because that’s ordered in Islam (nope, it’s not “cultural”; it’s an Islamic mandate). It’s okay to stone adulterers, it’s okay to hang gays. .. murder and bloodshed is okay.
In fact, it’s considered an “ENORMITY” (of sin) in Islam to be CONTENT with this life and not the ‘hereafter’! An “ENORMITY” is a major sin and they are defined. Another “ENORMITY” is failure to participate in Jihad.
Mohammad was a rapist, a murderer, a pedophile, a thief, a slavemaster, and a liar (taqqiya). So, this is okay in Islam. Yet, 1.57 billion people think this person was the greatest human to ever live and emulate him the way religious Christians try to emulate Jesus. The difference is of course, Jesus said to love, forgive, and pray for your enemies. Mohammad said to kill them.

JKT

posted May 20, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Muhammad was a HUMAN. A PERSON. He walked on two legs, ate, drank, slept, and presumably did all the other normal things a human did.
I reserve the right to draw a picture of any human being. ANY human being. Abe Lincoln, Confucius, Glenn Beck, ANYONE. They were/are all just flesh and nothing more.
It is not in any way my goal to insult anyone. It is, however, your choice (if you make it) to be insulted. I cannot help that. You can.

Dave Bailey

posted May 20, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Look, it’s very simple: If Muslims want to live in nations with free speech, then they have to learn to take a joke.
If it’s more important to them to live in nations where nobody insults their Prophet (PBUH), then they can move to the countries that restrict such speech and access to it.
I’d just suggest that I’m pretty sure Allah looks on “Draw Muhammad (PBUH) Day” with a little more humor, equanimity and thoughtfulness than most Muslims seem to.

AA

posted May 20, 2010 at 11:40 pm

The reason why the holy prophets picture was forbidden to be drawn was from the fear that people would start worshipping his picture, and what more can any prophet fear than the fear of having people worship him instead of God, this would be the total opposite as to why a prophet is sent to a people in the first place.
Recently the West has found a “weak spot” in a muslims faith. I understand the whole freedom of speech thing, but certain things you shouldn’t do (Should does not equal Can NOT) as clearly we are seeing that it can be done. The prophet holds an enormous stature in the muslim faith. It is said that God has stated that if I didn’t make you (The prophet Mohamad) I would not have created this Universe. This can give you an idea of how much Muslims think of him.
To draw cartoons of him is not excercising freedom of speech, but it is instigating chaos and disorder among people. I don’t agree with this whole killing of those who draw a cartoon, this is not right. It should be made clear that this issue is sensitive and that these cartoons should be stopped, but to go out and kill someone who drew a cartoon is nonsense, and is not part of the islamic faith. But there will allways be those hot head extremists who act first and think later.
There is a really good website to learn more about the true Islam, I suggest browsing through it, it will give you a better understanding what the faith says and what you see in the media. http://www.alislam.org

kendra

posted May 20, 2010 at 11:45 pm

AA, your answer is foolish. Islam is the antithesis of Judeo-christian culture/faith. Drawing pictures of Mohammad is a reasonable thing to do because, if we begin to self-censor, our freedom of speech is lost. We make fun of things to understand, point out irony, mock, etc. All humor stops at Mohammad’s door, and this is not the way of the West. It is IMPORTANT that we continue to mock Mohammad every time we can and show Islam the disrespect it deserves.
You mention “True Islam”. Jihad and forced conversion and dhimmitude is “True Islam”. Don’t learn about Islam from your friend Achmed. Learn about it from Mohammad.

PeaceforAll

posted May 21, 2010 at 12:40 am

So true: When you attack black people, they call it racism. When you attack Jewish people, they call it anti-semitism. When you attack women, they call it sexism. When you attack homosexuality, they call it intolerance. When you attack your country, they call it treason. When you attack a religious sect, they call it hate speech. But when you attack the Prophet peace be upon him, they want to call it freedom of speech.
Dear Kendra, you whole argument is completely invalid. Have you ever picked up the Quran and read it at all? I really doubt it. Or maybe you read it with your eyes closed..because it says none of that. Honestly, your attempt to feed people lies is pathetic. I feel bad for you. To all you supporters of “draw muhammad day” you just keep doing that, in the mean time the number of Muslims in the world is increasing everyday. So you can go ahead and waste your time on childish “jokes” and calling out the few people out of the 1.6 billion+ that gets out of line and gives you the reaction you want.

al sowins

posted May 21, 2010 at 12:57 am

Mohammed was a murderer, child molester, rapist, thief and liar, among his more notable achievements. He should be cartooned as a pig, a snake, some pestiferous vermin. He is, at present, undoubtedly much more concerned with the agonies he is suffering in Hell than with verbal or written insults. Islam is a religion of ignorance. Who in his right mind would follow a mohammedlike varmint anywhere, except to shoot it and claim the bounty?

jay

posted May 21, 2010 at 2:00 am

Peaceforall, please give me a break there is no peace for anyone according to the Quran, unless you convert to Islam.
Christians are not commended to kill themselves or cut peoples head off because they don’t want to fallow Yeshua. YYAWEH (I am that I am), only ask us to tell others of the Love of Yeshua (Jesus) and G-d will do the rest. Our G-d, not Allah, is powerful enough to move peoples heart and he also gave us free will. It looks like Allah is not able to touch peoples heart. My G-d is an awesome G-d, he heals people and performs miracles for us. The blind actually see, deaf can hear and the lame actually walk out of their wheel chairs. You are right there are more Muslims now but only because you all threaten the lives people in the countries you take over.
What I see is there is no liberty in Islam, there is only oppression and death. Islam does not teach life but death is what everybody “shoots” for.
One more thing why would a real loving G-d give his martyrs virgins?, 72? one is not enough, planing on having an orgy. Sex is for here on earth, why would you need it in heaven?
Speaking of sex, why does a women get stone because she was raped? She is the victim and yet she has to die for who’s honor, the men in the family who fail to protect her.
another question, why are the women only consider for sex in your heaven.
Oh! I am just asking why do you all come to America, a Christian country, Why do Muslims like about America? I know it must be the freedom, and the ability to build a better life. Remember this country is govern by a Judo/Christian belief system and that is what has made it a great country. The greatest country, who has more compassion than any Muslim country. America gives more money in donations to disasters that happen in Muslim countries than Saudi Arabia.
Why do Muslims want to live in the 10th century. I bet you like the polio shot given to your children, speak on your cell phone, just two of the great creation and inventions that Jews came up with.
Peaceforall, the proof in what Muslims believe is in their actions. Because of Muhammad the children of Ishmael are known the world over as the religion of death. You all are so busy killing that such a small percentage of Muslim ever invent anything of use to the rest of humanity. There are only 12 million Jews yet they win the most prizes for scientific/art discoveries and inventions then Muslim. It is like maybe 1,000 Jews wining Nobel science prizes to 1 if even that of Muslim science prize. Oh! yeah thanks for Algebra. Even the oil richness is only because Westerner are the ones who do all the brain work and heavy lifting. What is wrong with the Arab mind that just wants to kill and not create.
Peaceforall, don’t you ever question your faith and what Muslims do to the rest of the world. Oh! yeah you guys “vant to take over the vorld!” (you ever heard of Stinky and the Brain”, it is a cartoon but i forget Muslims don’t like humor directed at them. It is as if there is pathos for Muslim in that their insecurities are a great culture problem.
real Peace is from Yashua, he never told his man to kill so they could get 72 virgins. I have to laugh ! here is my cartoon of Muhammed :( sad man.
Jay

Joelb

posted May 21, 2010 at 4:57 am

I’ve met and known many very devout Muslims, who would go out of their way to help someone else, give to the poor and live judicious, responsible lives. I’ve also known many Christians who do likewise.
It’s really unfortunate that Mohammad didn’t write down any of his “revelations”, the results of which can be really viewed as a wanna-be version of the Bible. It’s really unfortunate that most of the Christian churches rely on “colleges” to come up with their doctrine, and are so splintered that it’s no wonder no one can understand their concept of deity, or have any confidence in their credibility. It’s really unfortunate that neither the Christians, the Jews or the Muslims can effectively point to a prophet who can say “thus sayeth the Lord” with ANY degree of credibility in order to provide the true way of life to return to live with God.
Most of the problems that arise from religious differences come because of ignorance, selfishness and hatred. G-d, Allah, or whatever title you might confer upon the supreme being and author of this world created us all, loves us all, looks on our fighting over religions and our hatred as something that will not qualify us to live with our Creator after we’ve lived this life, and proven what we will or won’t do to our fellow men.
G-d, Allah or, God, the Eternal Father, prepared laws for us to live by, and He will teach us to live by those laws if we’re willing to study, listen and seek after His will. He’s provided prophets in the past, and a phophet is on the earth today, but you have to seek him out, because learning of the phophet by hearsay is the surest way to begin to repudiate anything he has to say. Ya gotta wanna!
Personally, I’m comfortable with the feeling that I know God lives, that His son, Jesus Christ came to this world to make it possible for us to return to live with God in varied levels of glory, since there will be relatively few (out of the many billions of people) who really are determined to seek out the truth of God and obey what they know so they can live on the same level of glory with Him.
Why would He need us to return to live with Him? Look at His creations, stretching into the etenities, and those creations are expanding at terrific speed, if you beleive science findings. He needs individuals qualified in discipline for those expanding creations, if you believe the Bible. What about those who can’t ever get the truth and learn to obey it? God is a loving God and He will provide a way, but all men being equal, all men will have to eventually come to accept or reject the truth, of the one true way to return to live with God.
Now, am I expounding personal views? Yes. Can these views be defended scriptually? YES! How do I know? Because God has provided a witness called the Holy Spirit, whose job it is to do that very thing, provide a personal witness of the truth, any truth, if we’re willing to seek, ask and listen for what we can find. May God be with us all that whosoever really seeks will sonfind what they need.

jovan

posted May 21, 2010 at 5:44 am

where ‘re u study about islam? why you didn’t find where the truth about religion of christian??

J Stuart O'neill

posted May 21, 2010 at 11:10 am

This debate is not about the validity of one religion over another. It is about the right to freely express ones thought and feelings. One political group should not squelch the right of an opposing group to disseminate it’s message, just as one religious group should not impose it’s theology on another. Disagreeing with a feminist is perfectly acceptable; refusing to conduct business with her just because she is female is unacceptable. Feeling entitled to draw the Prophet Muhammad is acceptable; refusing to conduct business with a person just because they are Muslim is unacceptable.

Lester Livio

posted May 21, 2010 at 11:15 am

Most people, even Americans don’t understand the American system of freedom of speech under the First Amendment. Under this system, freedom of speech is more important than civility or religious sensibilities. Mohammed is a historical figure and Islam is a philosophical system. Mohammed and Islam are therefore subject to criticism, parody and satire like any other philosophical system. The Supreme Court of the US has said that in America, “there is no such thing as a false idea.” By the same token, there is no individual or religion above criticism. Despite what your politically correct professors may have told you, the law is not designed to protect religious or ethnic sensibilities. The Supreme Court of the US has also said that “the government may not silence speech because the ideas it promotes are thought to be offensive.” Indeed, the First Amendment is intended to promote shocking and offensive speech. That is why Facebook can be banned in Pakistan but not in the US.
The Everybody Draw a Mohammed Cartoon Day was a day of resistance against censorship and restrictions on freedom of thought. I support the campaign 100%.

kendra

posted May 21, 2010 at 11:24 am

Jay, you’re excellent!
JoelB, your heart is in the right place, but you are wrong, because you don’t know Islam. You assume the doctrine of Islam is similar to the doctrine of Christianity and other peaceful religions. It is not at all similar. Jesus said to love, assist and pray for your enemies. Mohammad said to kill them. Although the word “Allah” means “God, obviously, the God of the bible and the God of the Koran are entirely different. Islam teaches that originally, all the Prophets (including Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, etc.) were Muslim, and practiced Islam. However, the mention of these names are all that is the same. Muslims believe that the Jews and Christians distorted their bibles and that Mohammad had to come as the final prophet to clarify everything. That is why converts to Islam are called “reverts”– because we are all born Muslim, according to Islam.
Islam teaches that Jesus will return one day– but not from death, because they don’t believe he was crucified and resurrected. They believe he was pulled up to heaven by Allah and is waiting for his time to return. He will finally return when the Mahdi is in place as ruler of the umma. At that time, the Mahdi will be leading people in prayer, and will see Jesus and offer Jesus the leadership position. As a gesture of subordination, Jesus will refuse and pray behind the Mahdi. After this, though, Jesus will speak, offer the infidels/kuffirs one more chance to revert to Islam. He will kill those who refuse (mostly by beheading, according to Islam) and rip all the crosses off the churches, kill the “Dajjal” (islamic anti-christ), and everyone will– gee, live happily and peacefully in Islam (nevermind the blood of all the death and rolling heads of infidel dissenters!). Because, according to Islam, there can only be peace when the entire world is Islamic. At that time, there will be no more dhimmis– that was only permitted until this time. Once the Mahdi comes and once Jesus comes, only Islam is permitted. Everyone else must die.
Now, some Muslims will try to tell you that this is a shiite belief, only, but that’s not true. It is required of ALL MUSLIMS to believe in the Mahdi and you cannot pick and choose in Islam. If you don’t believe it, you better shut up in Islam. Except of course, when dealing with Kaffirs. Muslims are permitted to lie to us (taqqiya) and new reverts (to Islam)if it will put Islam in a good light, since furthering Islam by any means necessary is permissible.
According to the hadith by Muslim, which is one of the “reliable” hadiths along with Bukhari and more), all Muslims believe in the Mahdi, though the Shiites believe it will be the twelfth Imam and the Sunnis don’t know who it will be, but it will be obvious when he arrives. Here is some info on the subject: http://lightofquran.info/15letter.htm
Don’t believe people such as “Peaceforall” who accuses me of not reading the Koran. Of course I’ve read the Koran and I’ve read it in order, as the events unfolded, not in chapter size as it’s organized. One cannot just pick up a Koran and read it and understand what it means unless they also read the sira along with it. However, there are some scholars of Islam (not Muslim scholars) who have put it in order so you can see how Mohammad evolved and which verses were abrogated by later verses. Don’t believe Muslims who say it must be read in Arabic. . . can Arabic not be translated like every other language on the planet? Of course it can. And, do Indonesian Muslims know Arabic? Of course not. The Koran can easily be read and understood as the insanity it is if read in chronological order. http://www.politicalislam.com has two Korans for sale that are worth purchasing (I am not affiliated with them– just recommending them).
When Mohammad started preaching he was in Mecca and peaceful. This is where he said peaceful things so many Muslims quote. However, as soon as he immigrated to Medina, he became a violent warlord– killing and murdering and raping and condoning the same. This is how Islam was spread. All the later verses are “more valid” than the earlier verses and they are all true– even if they contradict eachother. That’s why Peaceforall can clearly state truthfully that Islam is peaceful. But, the later verses are even more true– since they occurred later and require violence of the slave of Allah. This is how jihad is justified- because Mohammad was the first jihadist. He ordered anyone who criticized himself or Allah dead. Anyone who didn’t convert or obey the supremacy of Islam was killed. And, it’s all permissible in Islam.
Either Peaceforall is completely ignorant of his own doctrine (which may be true– I’d like to think that they don’t all read it), or he is lying to further islam.

Virgil

posted May 21, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I drew a picture of Muhammad and uploaded it to facebook. I am an atheist and have no bias toward one religion or another. They’re all the flying spaghetti monster as far as I am concerned. However, when people are killed for drawing a picture, that is wrong. Over 100 deaths resulted from the cartoons that were drawn in Denmark. Since then, media outlets have censored the image of Muhammad. Therefore, it is a victory for the terrorists. They have made us act how they want us to by inducing terror via death threats, bomb threats, etc. We have given up our freedom of speech so that these Muslim Extremists won’t kill us. What would the founding fathers think of that? All the soldiers, civilians and politicians that have been fighting for freedom and equality for over 200 years for this country were wasting their time if we are going to bow to the whims of these murderous psychopaths. I am NOT afraid. I will say and draw anything I want, as this is America and I have the right to do so. If someone gets offended, that is not cause to murder anyone. And if someone bombs or kills a person for expressing an idea or drawing a picture, that person and their group needs to be shown that they cannot dictate how Americans live their lives. If you think that people are doing this to be ‘offensive to Muslims’ you are wrong. We are doing it because we can. If we stand up to the terrorists and draw over 10,000 pictures of Muhammad (which we did) how can they come and kill us all? They can’t. Then our media outlets can stop the self censorship that makes me sick to my stomach. What would someone have to draw for you to want to kill them? You could draw ANYTHING and I will not kill you. You can say ANYTHING and I will not kill you. If our media is doing what the terrorists want, aren’t they under terrorist control? The terrorists decide what we Americans can see or say or draw. Happy Draw Muhammad Day, long live freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

Ed of So Cal

posted May 21, 2010 at 8:37 pm

You know any so-called “Religion” where it is a capital offense to draw their perfect “Man”, mohamid , is a glaringly sick excuse for a divine religion. This so-called “Religion” is the single largest motivator for killing at present through its imperialist campaign of Jihad. Our racist Jew hating squatter in the White House, Barry Soetoro aka Barack Hussein Obama, is systematically assisting the spread of islam since his pathetic childhood (what with mommy dumping the little waif off with the Typical White Person – Barry’s Grandma) showed the Teleprompter-In-Chief that people did not like him and he is trying to “return the favor” by helping the largest group of mass murderers on the Planet; imperialist islamic terrorists.

Celebrate Free Speech

posted May 21, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Announcing Show Mohammed Day June 3rd: Rallys in Celebration of Freedom of Speech & Religion.
I hadn’t expected much to come of Everybody Draw Mohammed Day once the instigator
canceled it and there was no organized effort for rally’s in support of it. Little did I know there were so many in favor of censorship
that would arise and capture the day instead. I’d planned to to announce the new event yesterday on the wall of the
Everybody Draw Mohammed day facebook page.. only to discover when I was ready that it had disappeared. I thought it would be back
today but since it isn’t I need to find other ways to get the word out to suggest people being organizing real world rally’s in support
of freedom of speech and religion. I was hoping you might consider helping announce and spread the word about the group.
The facebook page is at
and a backup of the welcome page is at
Unfortunately with the Everybody Draws Mohammed facebook page and its > 100,000 people following it perhaps having been censored.. I seem
to be suddenly starting from scratch to find sources to spread the word.
thanks.

Zeeshan

posted May 21, 2010 at 9:39 pm

You people have no respect for Jesus, you make fun of him in films, in pictures… This is probably why your society is ruined and children don’t respect you any more because they don’t believe in the after death and God. Your daughters get pregnant prematurely. You have the highest rate of child sexual abuse, highest rate of burglary, robberies, vulgarity and divorces in your country. You talk about woman rights but you have no respect for women in your society. You use woman for business by advertising them with products showing their skin. This is probably why US has the highest rate of people reverting to Islam and majority is of women.
We Muslims aren’t Muslims unless we don’t equally accept and respect Jesus and his teachings just as we do to Muhammad S.A.W.W. The history is repeating itself, it is all mentioned in the Holy Bible and Quran what happened to the societies before us, why they got destroyed. Do you ever wonder why their are so many natural disasters happening? Read The Bible (the non manipulated version) and Quran (which is til today in its original writing) and you will find all the answers.
Please not forget that ISLAM the word means PEACE, and this terrorism is all staged and is a propaganda against Muslims. I know the argument can go on forever. I really feel sorry for what happened in Time-Square and for what happened on 9/11, the suicidal attacks on Trains and Buses in London etc. But can you justify it with what they are doing in Afghanistan and Iraq? Once you named them Mujahiddin’s and took their support to divide Russia, and then you call them Al-Qaida and now you call them Taliban’s/Fundamentalist Group. You blame everything on someone, and you can’t decide what to call them. Are your people really that confused? What the extremists did was bad, but see the number of innocent people your people have murdered uptil now. Its 100 times more is that not terrorism?
Islam don’t encourage innocent killing, and it teaches us of humanity before anything else. It tells us to respect our elders and neighbours, and to be kind and honest. To sacrifice, to compromise, to control our anger and to spread happiness. Islam was the first religion to ever talk of women rights, first to speak of democracy, first to treat all men and women equally, first to give rights to slaves, first to speak of equal distribution of funds, first to treat all people equally despite of their skin colour, race, cast or status. The finest example you will find in the mosques where people of all classes stand together shoulder to shoulder showing brotherhood and equality.
I can go on and on forever…….. but Brothers and Sisters I know you’d think am a fool. I would really like you to do a little research on your own and check the facts. Have you ever seen any Muslim drawing Jesus in any form? and especially in such ridiculous way as your people are doing?
JazakAllah Khair (May Allah grant you goodness)

Ryan Isra

posted May 22, 2010 at 1:31 am

Really likes your comment, Zeeshan.
Simple and straight to the point to wake up those stupid people.

haris

posted May 22, 2010 at 2:20 am

Well said zeeshan
God bless u

Joelb

posted May 22, 2010 at 2:32 am

Kendra, the whole point of my comment was, and is, that God in His infinite wisdom, and being a just God and equallly loving all people, prepared ONE way for all men to return to live with Him. NONE of the worlds religions teaches this pattern according to a comparison of their beliefs and aspirations published by themselves!! I don’t accept the fundamental of Isalm any more than I do those of the far eastern religions or those of Catholocism or protestantism. They all have a little of the “cake batter” of truth, but can’t possibly produce the finished “pastry”, acceptable to God. Thus, my assertion that reliance on God and the Holy Spirit in a fervent search for the complete Gospel of Jesus Christ will be more productive and satisfying than listening to everyone else’s opinion, including mine.
I reject the imaginations of Muhammad’s heritage, because it is those people (some well-meaning, some not), not Muhammad, who wrote the Koran. I also reject the organizations based as they are on the Council of Nicea, and the church(s) that came after that capitulation. God’s true church COULD NOT be led by a true prophet to do the things they have done. The protestants haven’t any credibility for origial authority and source of truth, because they were all excommunicated from the catholic way early on, and are splintered, in doctrine and credibility, so badly that it’s no wonder people scurry away from trying to understand or maintain lasting commitment to that sort of belief.
People DO have the liberty to believe how they wish, but more thoughtful commitment to a serious search for a living prophet of God, who understands and interprets God’s will in relation to today’s problems and challenges, will bring longer lasting security and understanding of God’s purposes and His will concerning us, His creations. God DOES want His honest children to know where they come from, why they are here, and where they may go after this life, depending on their response to this life. But, God wil NOT accept wilfully sinning a little here and there, expecting that it really doesn’t matter what we DO in this life. He has prepared another place for those who reject Him, but are not necessarily the epitome of evil.
Still, all of us who have a desire to know and please God, need to hang together, because there really are forces masquarading as bearing truth, but use only a little of truth and maniputlate and mix lies and inaccuracy with a ittle truth to cloud the understanding of good people. This is what ALL tyrants and ambitious criminals have in common. May our prayers for enlightenment bring all of us more peace and mutual respect in our search for God’s truths.

Rob the Rev

posted May 22, 2010 at 8:02 am

If you really want to see satire of religious figures you have to go back to the sisteenth century and see how Martin Luther depicted the pope of Rome. It was definitely scatological.
Essay May 12, 2010 Satire is Religion
The debate over cartoons and prophets is not just about freedom of speech; it’s about freedom of religion. By Austin Dacey

kendra

posted May 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm

JoelB, your point is well taken. I respect everything you’re saying and you are one of the last people here I would choose to argue with, but I disagree because you are stating what YOU believe. You say you don’t believe in fundamental Islam. That’s wonderful; I don’t either. However, we’re talking about all the people who DO and how that belief affects all of the rest of us. Further, there really is no “fundamental” Islam. there is just Islam. If one believes in the Koran and Mohammad and Allah and follows the sunna, then this IS “fundamental” Islam. It’s Islam itself– the political ideology of Islam itself– that drives jihad today.
As you probably know, the word Islam means “submission”, not peace, as one Muslim here claims. And, a “Muslim” is “one who submits”. So, anyone who submits, who is a Muslim who believes the tenets of this ideology believes they cannot pick and choose. Anything in the Koran is considered the one true unchangeable eternal word of God. And, it cannot be improved upon by man. Unlike Judaism and christianity, there has been no reform and can be no reform, since no man can improve upon the One True Word of God. And, in this Koran, Allah, via Mohammad, mandated jihad until dar al Islam– until the entire world is under Islamic rule and until the entire world follows Islamic law.
So, this is why I even responded to your first comment. What we consider “good” in our culture isn’t what Islam would consider to be good. I often cite this post, written by a very intelligent well-spoken Muslim: http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f18/ignorance-infidels-1928/
This guy really spells out the differences between Islamic thought and Western thought which is steeped in Judeo-Christian culture.

foobar

posted May 23, 2010 at 4:21 am

????????????????? ? ?????????????
?????? ??????????????????? ? ? ?
? ? ?????????????????????????????
??? ????????? ??????????
?? ??????? ??????????????
?? ?????? ????????? ??????
???????????? ? ??? ?????????
??????????? ????? ??????????
?? ???????????????????????
??????????????????????????
??????????????????????????
????????? ????? ? ?????????
??????????? ? ????????????
?????????????????? ???
????????? ?? ??? ???????
? ? ???????????????????
???????????? ???? ??????
?? ????? ??????????????
?? ??????? ???????????
????????????????????
??? ??????????????
????????????????
???? ? ???????

Sarah

posted May 23, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Here’s the deal. In Islam it is haram(unlawful)to draw pictures of people, in general. We do not draw the prophet with good intention or bad. He was already depicted to us in Hadith (religious manuscript).
Besides, the caricatures are not POKING fun at him, they are disrespecting him. They are demeaning him. It’d be as shameful as drawing Jesus on the cross bleeding to death and smiling or with a Nazi symbol on his forehead, poking fun or demeaning? you tell me.
Or better yet a priest molesting a young boy, no giving it to him actually, how does that sound? it’s only poking fun right? OR let’s take a cow write Hindu on it and have it eating a person, you know vice versa sort of thing. It’s only “poking fun”. Hilarious right?
It is rude. It’s not poking fun it’s bashing of religion, and in quite an obvious disguise might I add. If I were to do the same at Jesus, God, Moses, Buddha, Jehovah or any other figure for that matter it wouldn’t be taken so lightly. Seeing it’s against muslims, it’s made okay. How does that make any sense? We’re not the terrorists YOU ARE. Discriminating against us in society, banning our rights to wear our head dress, when it’s perfectly fine to wear a turban, calling us horrible names and blaming us for 911, even if we were born in the states or canada and had no association with the massacre, using news reports to show the calamity “we” caused and blatantly ignoring the horror that goes on in Palestine, it’s a holocaust at it’s own measures you know..I could go on forever.

pagansister

posted May 23, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Sarah, there are already many pictures of those folks you mentioned,has been for years and many times they are even on some TV shows..(South Park and others I’m sure) so calming that your holy one should be exempt is hardly logical. Fun can be made of anyone or anything….that is part of life. For those who depict religious leaders in a poor light…just consider the source and forget about it. In this country and others there is freedom of expression, which includes print, paintings etc. IMO, most of those of your faith are peaceful and don’t want to bump off those of us who are not Muslims. For those who are extremists? They’ve got a problem, we don’t. Actually extremists in any religion are not good representatives of a faith.

Mike Jones

posted May 25, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I can’t believe how casually people discuss sadism, murder and torture when under the guise of the Islamic religion and act as though it’s not that bad.
The internet is allowing people world-wide, to see the results of acid being thrown on Muslim women’s faces by their husbands. And there are reports of acid being thrown in the face of young women if they are found by Muslim men, in school trying to get an education. Sick, sick, sick.
Islamic followers believe that torture, murder and sadism is approved as moral actions by their religious texts. How disgusting. Shame on anyone who believes that these are not crimes against humanity and a threat to our modern civilization.
Have you not seen pictures of women being buried up to their chest and then being stoned to death by Muslim men? The unmitigated horror of these actions by Islamic believers is disgusting.
Anyone who is part of the Islamic faith is promoting it’s violence. What have the non-extremist Muslims done to stop their extremest counterparts? Shame on the non-extremist Islamic followers for not demanding that these horrific things should be stopped. Shame on believers of other faiths who are afraid to criticize other religions.
Shame on the non-extremists Islamic followers who are blind to the fact that all faith-based extremists come from the pool of the non-extremist faithful.
It is time that all Islamic believers throw away their faith. These crimes are sick, sick, sick.
It’s also time that all people grow up and stop believing in the mythology of all religions.
(Here is a Youtube video of Muslim men torturing and murdering people and women being stoned to death. I personally could not watch this video, it is so disgusting. The name of the video is titled, “Sharia Law”. “Sharia Law” is the title of a poem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbuxJieyFxg&playnext_from=TL&videos=pfOWprHw9_c)

Peter Ramsey

posted May 25, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Muslims have no sense of humor.
How would they react if we drew a cartoon of Allah?
Would that start a nuclear war?

pagansister

posted May 25, 2010 at 8:50 pm

M Jones:
So you post a web site showing a video that you couldn’t watch youself to prove how bad Muslims are? Every single Muslm in the world isn’t bad. Yes, all religions have their extremists. Not that long ago, there were women burned as witches right here in the good old USA, by those of a religious faith. Catholics used to burn people at the stake because they wouldn’t accept the “faith” Crusaders used to burn, rape and pillage those folks in the Middle East to spread the wonderful Christian faith. So violence has been a part of the past in many religions.
You appear to be a total non-believer in any religion AKA as an atheist. That isn’t a problem, but you do seem to hold ill feelings for those that do believe in something. BTW, who has discussed sadism, murder and torture casually?

blah blah blah

posted May 27, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Let’s draw Muhammad in the respectful way and show how honorable he has been. Let’s show the world our viewpoints, let’s made the world recognize Muhammad through Muslims points of view.

Fritz Hohenheim

posted May 28, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Who cares what they find offensive or not? This is America and WE should find it offensive that cartoonists don’t dare to express themselves anymore because of death threats from these medieval retards. We have the right to blaspheme and we should not be afraid of doing so because some savages don’t like it

Mike

posted May 31, 2010 at 3:37 am

The prohibition against depicting Mohammed was intended to keep people from idolatry and focus on the spiritual content of Islam. But instead of worshiping a picture of Mohammed, many Muslims are now idolators; they worship the idols of religious rules, restrictions, and Muslim leaders.
That error isn’t limited to Muslims, Catholicism is analogous: Christianity was intended to be be a religion of love, tolerance, and freedom, but Catholicism has created a hierarchy of pharisees, many of whom are preaching intolerance and hatred.
Many people who claim to be Muslims or Christians are simply using religion to justify their base instincts and intolerances. On the other hand, these religions are not incompatible with being good, so there are many Muslims and Christians who are good people. In the end, religion can’t make you good or bad; your religion matters much less than who you actually are.

Mitch

posted May 31, 2010 at 9:41 pm

The problem is Mohammad was a big fat illiterate pedophilic tyrant, who removed all mirrors from his path and hated having his picture taken because he was ashamed of his physical appearance.
As such he channeled all his emo-rage posturing as a prophet and starting a virus-like apocalyptic religion of hate and eternal war.

Rachel

posted June 2, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Check out my blog post on the issue

Sahil

posted June 4, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Zeeshan and all the cheerleaders,
I have no issue at all if you want to believe that is it not right to draw pictures of Mohammad. Please don’t draw if you don’t want, no one is forcing you.
But, please don’t force your islamic laws on me. Since I am not a muslim, I don’t have any issues drawing pictures of Mohammad. I am not even forcing you to look at the pictures I draw. So why cann’t you just ignore the pictures I have drawn and move on with your life? Why I must follow the islamic law?

Sick of Islam

posted June 5, 2010 at 1:26 am

Every time I hear the word muslim or islam, I want to throw up. For real.

ann kroeker

posted April 13, 2011 at 12:40 pm

what I want to know is – Why muslims get upset about drawings or images of Mohommed or anything else related to him. Is it because they think he is now a God – because it seems they worship him, with their very severe reactions, more than they do Allah/God. – Why can’t these reactionaries leave the judgements and punishments to Allah/God?
Who made them demi-gods that they know exactly what Mohommed would be upset about?

Happy Draw Mohammad Day!

posted May 20, 2011 at 6:42 pm

apajee safdaray. khtab, and PeaceforAll, keep whining. It will do no good. Draw Muhammad Day will last forever unless your kind stops the endless tirade of shoving your religion and your crappy way of life on the world. Us in America and all other Free Countries love our FREEDOMS which you don’t have. We will use them. We will draw your “momo” Muhammad any way we choose be it disrespectfully (which he deserves) or respectfully (which he doesn’t deserve).

Pingback: Seattle Faith News: New Catholic Archbishop Appointed; ‘Draw Muhammad’ Cartoonist Goes Into Hiding - Belief Beat