This poem sums up — far more beautifully than I can say — how I feel about the current economic situation. It’s by Humberto Ak’Abal, The Dance. While companies and the rich (and even many of the never-will-be rich) are complaining about taxes and ‘handouts’ for the poor, in Oklahoma almost one million children (918,849) were rated ‘poor’ in 2009 — below the poverty level. One in 5 — TWENTY PERCENT — are at risk of hunger. Daily. Dancing on the edge of a penny, indeed….
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
- orchid lessons
- Ramadan, and the wounding of blessings
- celebrating what’s right
- grumpy days
- secrets, closets, and religious judgment
- a surefire cure for the blues
- home again, home again…or, the quilt vs bad fondue
- be here. now.
- when will we ever learn?
- yearly checkups
- the people my pets are
- writing, reflecting, old & new friends
- time passes, and then there’s change
- what’s on your bulletin board?
- way closes, way opens
- you and me and the dirt and the ocean and all the rest of it
- guns in schools, and the American West
- blogs, journals, and processing
- afterwards, the laundry
- #myAmtrakWritingRetreat reprised
- chocolate, and my own #AmtrakWritingRetreat
- more on the home front ~
- hunting for home
- living through the unexpected (with equanimity?)
- road trips
- the right thing (even though…)
- rain, petrichor, and pluviophiles
- the magic of seeds…