It’s been noticed without even relying on statistics that the majority of men over 50 are liable to having prostate problems which could directly affect two vital activities which are urination and having sex. It’s never good news when you’re being informed of having a prostate problem, however there are things you could do to minimize or even avoid chances of hiving this problem.
The prostate is a gland in men about the shape and size of a walnut. It’s a part of the reproductive system. As a man ages, the prostate can grow larger and this enlargement could squeeze the urethra causing problems in passing urine and in some cases impotence.
Symptoms of enlarged prostate may include:
– Trouble starting to urinate
– Having to urinate more frequently and more often at night
– Feeling that the bladder is not empty after urinating
– Having a sudden urge to urinate
– Some patients complain of having to stop and start repeatedly while urinating
If you are experiencing any of the above mentioned symptoms, it’s very important that you talk to your doctor as it’s very important as early treatment could save you some more serious complications. Your doctor could prescribe some medications like alpha-blocker and 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors. Those could help with the symptoms and could also help shrink the prostate.
How to maintain a healthy prostate:
There is no garaunteed way to prevent prostate enlargement as it’s a part of aging, but there are few things that could help delay the problem and improve symptoms.
– Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight.
– Watch your diet. Eat more fruits and vegetables, especially those that have Lycopene such tomatoes, watermelons and grapefruits. Also, zinc is a vital mineral for the health of prostate. It’s found in oysters ,chocolate, peanuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and sesame oil
– Some supplements are believed to help like Saw Palmetto over-the-counter
– Avoid too much caffeine, alcohol and fatty food.
– Include more soy in your diet
– Quite smoking
– Stay warm
– Get a PSA blood test regularly beginning at the age of 50. If you have a family history of prostate problems then you need to begin testing at the age of 45.
– Cranberry juice could help prevent urinary tract infections which could worsen your condition
If you have prostate problem it’s very important to ask your doctor or your pharmacist before taking any over the counter medication.
Click here to follow Ranya on Twitter Follow @RanyaElguendy