A Pagan's Blog

A Pagan's Blog

Drawing Down the Moon

posted by Gus diZerega

Tonight my Wicca 101 class nears its end, with my first female student experiencing Drawing Down the Moon for the first time.  In subsequent classes other women will have their own opportunity to encounter the Lady.

It’s been most of a year since we began last Fall.  Meeting weekly and every other week after the basics were covered, we have grown into a pretty good group.  Some attrition happened of course, but I am confident in the skills of those who remained.
They can cast a circle, move energy, shield, understand basic safety, know something of crystals and herbs (though not as much on the latter as I’d hoped.  Events conspired against having my herbalist friends expand on what I know.)   They also know and have experienced and practiced the basics in healing others, both in circle and outside it.  These budding Witches heal!  Now many are ready for what I regard as the greatest spiritual gift we have to offer – experiencing personal encounters with our deities.
After all have had this experience some have said they want to start a coven and invite some other experienced Pagans who are casting about for a group to join.  And I’ll begin thinking about starting another Wicca 101 at summer’s end.
It has been a wonderful experience, and I hope others are inspired to do the same.

Gwyddion9

posted May 25, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Traditionally, it is the High Priestess who draws down the moon and becomes the vessel for the Goddess. However, to throw a wrench into the works, in the tradition I was taught to draw down the moon and allow the Goddess to enter me, a male.
Our reasoning is that both men and women have attributes of each other and the idea is to find a balance within ourselves as well.
My experience was very powerful. It gave me insights to the feminine I had not seen or considered. I just wanted to share.

Gwyddion9

posted May 25, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Also, Gus, may your students be blessed in their meeting and receiving the Goddess.
BB

The L

posted May 26, 2010 at 9:10 am

Brightest blessings to your students, Gus!
One thing on my “to-do” list when I move out is to become part of a weekly 101 class and/or Pagan study group. The basic knowledge I’ve got down pretty decent, but the practical skills themselves are rather hard to learn from books.

Gus diZerega

posted May 26, 2010 at 10:16 am

Thank you Gwyddion9. Our circle went wonderfully.
And may it go well with you in your search, The L.
You are right in my opinion, books can take us only so far in my experience, and then it’s good to find people with whom to work and learn. One of the few things I urge continually in matters Wiccan is for experienced folks to offer learning opportunities to others.

Celtiss

posted May 27, 2010 at 10:00 am

I have been having a good time in the beautiful Ozarks with my pagan eyes, re exploring again, and learning all new things with another light. Happy exploring, hunting, and all things with element water. BB to all……..

Jarred

posted May 27, 2010 at 10:49 am

The L:
Good luck on your search. Just make sure up front that the class or study group you find is more hands on. Some tend to be more “book learning” in a group setting. And by the sounds of it, that’s the last thing you need. You need the chance to discover how much you already know by putting it to actual use. ;)
Been there and done that, so I can totally sympathize.

Julie

posted May 27, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I would LOVE to attend your next class!!

Gus diZerega

posted May 28, 2010 at 10:11 am

Thank you Julie. If I teach it, I will have it in Sebastopol, California. You close by?

More Blogs To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting A Pagans Blog. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: The Latest on Pagan and Earth-Based Religions Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:39:40am Jul. 06, 2012 | read full post »

Earth Day and the Sacredness of the Earth
I think Earth Day is a particularly important moment for contemplation and commitment by us Pagans.  Often American Christian critics accuse us of “pantheism,” and in a important respect they are right.  We do find the sacred, most of us, in the earth without reference to any transcendental sp

posted 11:57:03am Apr. 20, 2012 | read full post »

Instructive examples on why interfaith work is a good idea
I deeply believe the problems in our country are more of the heart than of the head. Here are some youtubes courtesy of John Morehead of the Evangelical Chapter of the Foundation for Religious Diplomacy on Facebook. They speak more eloquently than anything I can write that interfaith work is a good

posted 1:08:25pm Apr. 12, 2012 | read full post »

The controversy over Pink Slime - and what it means.
The controversy over pink slime is helping educate Americans to the fact that corporations are as beneficial to agriculture as they are to politics. Tom Laskawy put it pithily: “What pink slime represents is an open admission by the food industry that it is hard-pressed to produce meat that won’

posted 4:03:07pm Apr. 11, 2012 | read full post »

How the "war on religion' backfired into a war on women
Here  is a really good article by Tina DuPuy on how the Republicans got themselves into such a mess with America's more intelligent women.  Left undiscussed is how the extreme pathological masculinity of both their deity and their leaders made that slip so very easy.

posted 12:12:35pm Apr. 11, 2012 | read full post »