A Pagan's Blog

A Pagan's Blog

Beltane 2010 – Why We Celebrate

posted by Gus diZerega

Wiccans along with most other
NeoPagans celebrate the sacredness of all natural cycles.  These cycles are particularly clear
within regions with four distinct seasons, and I think it is natural that we,
whose origins most recently hail from the British Isles, emphasize the ever
changing and eternal seasons to concretely symbolize the most basic of these
cycles.  We have eight Sabbats,
four synchronized with the solar cycle of Solstices and Equinoxes, and four
linked to the old Celtic agricultural cycle.  These last four are generally the more important, I think
because the cycles of birth, life, and death are at their most concrete.

Of these four days, two are
particularly important: Beltane and Samhain.  Samhain honors the powers of
death, as Beltane honors those of life.
For these are the two biggest themes in all embodied existence.  Without life, the rest of embodiment is
irrelevant, and everything that lives also dies.  As one joker told me, “Life is a sexually transmitted
terminal condition.”

And that is why Beltane, which
most unreservedly and exuberantly focuses on life, also most unreservedly and
exuberantly focuses on sexuality.

In most of the temperate world
Spring is far along by now.  In
most places Beltane fittingly marks Spring’s transition to summer.  The sexual energy of spring is flowing
into the generative abundance of summer.
I think of Beltane as a celebration of beauty and delight for its own
sake.

Flowers, the sexual organs of
plants, are blooming abundantly, soon to set seeds.  Birds are building their nests.   Throughout the world the energies of reproduction, of
sexuality, are at their most visible.
It is through sex that we come into physical existence, and sexuality
enables us to connect most intimately with the powers of life and with one
another.  It inspires the greatest
beauty in the biological world, from flowers to plumage to the celebration of
beauty among us two leggeds. The custom of having a May Queen is an
acknowledgement of this, and it is fitting that it emphasizes physical beauty
and vitality. (There are other Sabbats where we celebrate balance, wisdom, and
the other forms beauty can take.)

Beltane begins at sundown, April
30, and extends until sundown May 1.
Those fortunate enough to be able to meet outside in the country will
often have bonfires on the 30th, which young couples can jump
through, celebrating their hopes for love and perhaps fertility.  That night, weather permitting, many
will sleep outside, and fertility will have another chance to manifest. In this
day and age many of us honor fertility in all its forms, there now being quite
enough of the human kind.

Covens will meet with friends to
celebrate the time, often with small fires safe for a living room as a symbol
and reminder of the big ones we’d like to have.  Often our rituals will honor the symbolic wedding of the
Goddess and the God, or the revival of the Oak King, to reside until
Samhain.  The rituals will often be

Before dawn many of us will be up,
myself among them, to watch and applaud Morris Dancers who
symbolically dance up the summer sun.
The first time I experienced this wonderful ritual there seemed
something deeply primordial and right about it.  A couple hundred of us had arisen long before dawn to be at
Inspiration Point in Berkeley. Today, many years later, Morris Dancers are far more widespread
than they were over 20 years ago, and these dawn celebrations are far more
common.  Here in Sonoma County,
Sebastopol’s Apple Tree Morris Dancers  now perform the same ritual.  They
are very good, but this year I’ll be down south with old friends.

Those of us who are hard core even
come out in the pouring rain.  I
will never forget one May morning, joining perhaps a hundred other of the
really hard core huddled under umbrellas, watching the dancers as the light
slowly grew until a watch told us the sun had actually made its way above the
horizon.

Afterwards, in Berkeley, many of
us repair to a Pagan’s house, a generous soul who lays out a wonderful brunch
to begin the rest of the day.  More
of us than normal will be able to do it this year because it’s a weekend.  I have no idea how widespread this
particular custom has become, but it’s a wonderful one, whether as a  gift to the community and offering to
the Gods, or as a pot luck.

As the day progresses public
Sabbats will sprout all over our country, in parks and other large open
spaces.  This year some will be on
Saturday, others on Sunday.  It’s a
chance to be deeply immersed in sacred time for  long time for those who wish.  May Poles will rise, whether as magickal centers of
intention or simply as fun.  In
Berkeley NROOGD  will give a public celebration with its “Obby Hoss,”  a old British tradition that, along with being a lot of fun to watch, is said
to bring fertility to any woman who gets caught under its cloak.  I know it works. Here are some pictures from last year’s festivities.

We celebrate Beltane because it is
fun, because it honors the sacred dimension of fun, because it celebrates life
and love, because it more than any other honors the gift of life and the
blessings of delight.

Adam Knott

posted April 29, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Hi Gus
I can’t find a personal e-mail address for contacting you.
I’m an admirer of Mises and wanted to ask you a question about a book I’m considering purchasing.
Adam Knott

Marian

posted April 29, 2010 at 1:00 pm

How do Australian Wiccans deal with the sun feasts?

Gus diZerega

posted April 29, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Adam-
become a friend of mine on Facebook. Remind me in your request. Then ask me.

clasqm

posted April 29, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Marian: I’m not a Wiccan myself, but I do know that Pagans in the Southern Hemisphere have shifted all their festivals by six months.

Helen/Hawk

posted May 1, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Blessed Beltane, Gus

Tiger

posted May 3, 2010 at 11:21 am

I’m new to the pagan world. A lot of the mentors I have met are too busy or need to brush up on their craft before they can help me….It’s very frustrating. I have always felt like I was a witch but never knew what it was or what to do. I have books and they have proven to be helpful but I sure could use some interpersonal mentoring with a real person.

Cheryl Hill

posted May 3, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Tiger, a couple of quick questions. Where are you located? What books on Witchcraft have you read? Have you accessed Witchvox (witchvox.com) to see if there’s a group near you that might have “Wicca 101″ classes or something similar?

sexy brunette girls

posted June 17, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Undoubtfully great post u got here. It would be great to read a bit more concerning such matter. Thanx for posting such data.
Abi WALKER

celestial elf

posted March 31, 2011 at 2:44 am

Great Post thank you,
thought you might enjoy my Beltane Blessing machinima film
Bright Blessings
elf ~

More Blogs To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting A Pagans Blog. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: The Latest on Pagan and Earth-Based Religions Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:39:40am Jul. 06, 2012 | read full post »

Earth Day and the Sacredness of the Earth
I think Earth Day is a particularly important moment for contemplation and commitment by us Pagans.  Often American Christian critics accuse us of “pantheism,” and in a important respect they are right.  We do find the sacred, most of us, in the earth without reference to any transcendental sp

posted 11:57:03am Apr. 20, 2012 | read full post »

Instructive examples on why interfaith work is a good idea
I deeply believe the problems in our country are more of the heart than of the head. Here are some youtubes courtesy of John Morehead of the Evangelical Chapter of the Foundation for Religious Diplomacy on Facebook. They speak more eloquently than anything I can write that interfaith work is a good

posted 1:08:25pm Apr. 12, 2012 | read full post »

The controversy over Pink Slime - and what it means.
The controversy over pink slime is helping educate Americans to the fact that corporations are as beneficial to agriculture as they are to politics. Tom Laskawy put it pithily: “What pink slime represents is an open admission by the food industry that it is hard-pressed to produce meat that won’

posted 4:03:07pm Apr. 11, 2012 | read full post »

How the "war on religion' backfired into a war on women
Here  is a really good article by Tina DuPuy on how the Republicans got themselves into such a mess with America's more intelligent women.  Left undiscussed is how the extreme pathological masculinity of both their deity and their leaders made that slip so very easy.

posted 12:12:35pm Apr. 11, 2012 | read full post »