A Pagan's Blog

A Pagan's Blog

Deception in the ‘Organic Food’ Industry

posted by Gus diZerega

Silk” soy products has just been exposed for utterly unethical behavior in the organic food market.  For its parent company, corporate giant Dean Foods, this is not the first time.

A recent news story draws lines under my conviction that, necessary as they are, big organizations such as corporations
tend to be soulless sociopaths standing in the way of any genuine right livelihood between humans and other
humans and the earth.  Since we
depend on them for so much, this issue lies at the core of addressing the
problems intrinsic to modern society.  For those of us who honor the Sacred as immanent the problem is even more fundamental.

Dean Foods, who produces “Silk” soy products has just been
caught
after switching from organic soybeans to conventional soybeans without
announcement.   It changed the label from organic to
natural, but kept the same bar code, design, and higher prices without even telling
their retailers their product was no longer organic.  Habitual customers had no readily apparent way of discovering the change.  But unlike “organic” the term “natural” means absolutely nothing once used by corporate marketing tools.

A serial criminal, Dean Foods earlier was involved in
deceiving the public through another of its “green” front organizations,
Horizon Dairy. l
A human being doing such stuff would be charged with fraud but the sociopaths
in charge of Dean Foods simply took home more money.

I will never ever again buy “Horizon” or “Silk” products – a
sow’s ear masquerading as a silk purse if ever there was one.  Please spread the word.

Kurt Vonnegut

posted December 30, 2009 at 7:26 pm

When it comes to paganism, I’m a staunch Jehovah’s Witness — we could not be further apart on the issue of religion.
However, when I leave your site (the sidebar has links to a couple of other posts I want to read) it will be to compose a post of my own for publication on two of my blogs. The corporate mishandling of our food supply just rubs me wrong.
I grow a lot of my own food in an urban setting, but I am compelled to purchase food to cover the shortfall and for variety. I was planning on ditching Silk anyway (I have a bag of soybeans on the counter right now; this just speeds up the process.

Meical abAwen

posted December 30, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Bravo, Kurt, for not letting your religion overcome your sense of courtesy. Makes me wonder if my generally negative opinion of JWs is flawed.

cx

posted December 31, 2009 at 6:15 am

Don’t stop at Silk and Horizon; don’t buy ANY of their products, which are listed at http://deanfoods.com/brands.aspx
If our government isn’t able to punish the company as a whole, we need to do what we can to effect the change.

Gus diZerega

posted December 31, 2009 at 4:26 pm

I give a strong “So Mote It Be” to cx’s suggestion.
Basically the best defense against these corporate thugs is to buy as local as reasonably possible. Price and quality counts and so should source.

Cheryl Hill

posted December 31, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Another case of buyer beware, because large Corporations CANNOT be trusted. For them, it’s all about the profit.
I drink organic milk (Organic Valley) but also drink Silk too – the soy helps temper the symptoms of my peri-menopause. I just checked the carton; it says it’s made with non-genetically modified soybeans and no longer says organic.
So I’ll be finishing this carton, then trying another brand. Organic Valley makes organic soymilk also, along with Eden and WestSoy.
Thanks for alerting us about this. I should know better, but I hadn’t been checking the fine print on the cartons. It seems I now have to find the time to do that too.

krissy

posted December 31, 2009 at 10:09 pm

dean foods is a wolf in sheeps clothing.
This company used to use American grown soy. When it comes to soy consumers know how important organic is because soy is one of the crops with the highest amounts of pesticides applied in the US. Most of the market is gmo as well. So when dean foods began outsourcing their soy to China it became apparent that their suppliers were no longer being regulated. They cut corner and did not tell the consumers, and they kept the profit margin. Pesticide and GMO soy is not good for our bodies.
Unfortunately while I have been researching the matter I have found that in addition to the chemicals, Americans are also not getting the full benefits of soy because unlike the Japanese we do not ferment our soy. Tempeh, Miso, and Tamari sauce are examples of fermented soy products that allow our body to process soy without the phathates that block nutrient absorption in non fermented soy products.
Thanks for the article.

Chas S. Clifton

posted January 2, 2010 at 1:05 am

My wife noticed the change a few months back, couldn’t get a straight answer from the company, and switched to Organic Valley also.

Brian Schoberg

posted January 3, 2010 at 4:04 am

I am this close to leaving the Twin Cities and purchasing my own farm and leavig my career behind. The food, the water, the air — everything is wrong. Nothing is sacred anymore. The deception, the lies, the falsehoods, the lack of intregrity and total disrepect that some large company’s have is beyond trying to comprehend or live with. It’s more than upsetting — it’s getting to be downright genocide upon the American public. Profit is one thing, but when we see the outragous first hand and watch our agencies do nothing about it while the practice of deception and lies revolves month after month from one corporation to another in their attempt to deceive us in a game of deception, then it’s time to realize there’s more at stack then money. Thanks for the heads up about this company. It’s just one more on my list of many. Speaking of lying and company’s — Tyson Chicken company deserves a good spanking in their own right. Apparently, news has it that they have been injecting their eggs before they hatch with antibiotics to get around the word “raised” and therefore are selling these chicken’s at markets with the label attached that says, “raised without antibiotics” while knowingly that the chicken were given antibiotics — but only when the chick was in the egg. Yes, you heard it right — The Tyson company is using the label “raised without antibiotics on their chicken products yet injecting the “eggs” with antibiotics and other stuff. What did the USDA do about it? Well, they want Tyson to remove the label, but Tyson is arguing that they don’t have to because the chick is indeed “raised” without antibiotics, therefore, the egg thing doesn’t count. You see — I personally can’t allow this type of thinking to happen to me or these type of events to occur in my life. I can’t trust companies because there is no more integrity in the souls of some and I can’t trust those agencies who I believe are there to help the public. America is not what it seems and Amercan corporations are not what they appear to be. The people, the products, – it’s all a lie. And, nothing is stopping it.

Gus diZerega

posted January 3, 2010 at 12:09 pm

A corporation is a institutionalized sociopath. Occasionally a good CEO can push back for a while, especially if he or she is its founder, but the logic of the system is sociopathic to its core. Underneath all the flags and talk of democracy, the dominant institutions of America increasingly reflect sociopathy and the worship of naked power.

Jennifer

posted January 4, 2010 at 8:25 pm

I’m not a drinker of soy milk, but my mother is, and so I told her as soon as I learned of Dean Foods’ outrageous deception. The only soy products I use are fermented soy; miso & an amino acid liquid (not soy sauce) made from fermented soy. I am angered by the deceptions made by these food & drink companies for the sake of profit. Short of not buying their products and writing letters or emails to them, there isn’t a whole lot we can do. The only thing I feel I can do is to keep those products out of my house, not eat out at restaurants & boycott the companies products – which we don’t use a lot of anyway. This is one of the many reasons I am thankful I have sources for locally grown, organic, small farm raised produce, eggs, dairy & meats. I live in Amish country & even a few of them have moved to growing GMO grains because it’s easier & less expensive; this makes me extremely sad. My sources don’t use GMO, pesticides, anti fungal sprays or anything otherwise not natural, I’ve talked with them to be certain.
Will Dean Foods and the others ever have to answer for what they do or be stopped? I don’t think so and that’s a horrible shame.

JasonM

posted January 6, 2010 at 1:05 am

I’ve learned to only trust the very best brands in the Organic world… those NOT owned by the big corporations. Eden Foods, Organic Valley, and I’d even given Whole Food’s 365 Organic credit. They’re all working to get a higher standard. They’ve started the nonGMOproject.com which helps consumers avoid gmos (can you believe that is something we even have to worry about?). I learned that USDA does mean something but doesn’t mean much. You still have to look at the ingredient list. I have a EdenSoy which has the ingredients as organic soybeans and water. I have a “Wild Harvest” store brand soymilke that has over seven or so ingredients! I’m like this is soymilk not a recipe!!!

Jackson

posted February 5, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I noticed that… I hadn’t bought Silk in a while as I don’t eat as much soy as I used to, but I was flirting with the idea of drinking soymilk again and as soon as I saw the carton I noticed the difference.
I don’t even eat most of my food organic, but it put me off so much that I didn’t buy it.

peio revuelta

posted February 20, 2010 at 9:01 pm

It is a really helpful information about organic foods. I live in a village and organic foods are very important for us,
there is also a very useful guide that i got great informatin about organic foods:

peio revuelta

posted March 6, 2010 at 11:16 am

It is a really helpful information about organic foods. I live in a village which is a small and and isolated place.
We are 120 km far from the nearest city and as a result we produce our own food. While doing that we use extreme caution
of our food to be organic so every information about organic is very important for me, thanks to the authors here.I also
found another useful guide for organic food and also so many other things about agriculturing, i recommend this
site to everyone who wants to learn useful informations.

Harvey Gregoire

posted August 4, 2010 at 1:23 pm

A PBS program a few weeks ago stated that approx. 90% of all soybeans in the US are grown from GM soybeans patented by Monsanto. According the program, Monsanto files suit against any organic farmer that holds back enough seed to not have to buy the GM seed from Monsanto. Needless to say, few farmers have the wherewithall to stand up to such a large corporation in court. We don’t yet know what impact such GMOs will have on us or the environment.

Nezraa

posted April 23, 2012 at 12:54 am

Thanks for this excellent article. Yet another thing to mention is that almost all digital cameras come equipped with a new zoom lens that permits more or less of any scene being included simply by ‘zooming’ in and out. These changes in target length are generally reflected within the viewfinder and on large display screen right on the back of your camera.

More Blogs To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting A Pagans Blog. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: The Latest on Pagan and Earth-Based Religions Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:39:40am Jul. 06, 2012 | read full post »

Earth Day and the Sacredness of the Earth
I think Earth Day is a particularly important moment for contemplation and commitment by us Pagans.  Often American Christian critics accuse us of “pantheism,” and in a important respect they are right.  We do find the sacred, most of us, in the earth without reference to any transcendental sp

posted 11:57:03am Apr. 20, 2012 | read full post »

Instructive examples on why interfaith work is a good idea
I deeply believe the problems in our country are more of the heart than of the head. Here are some youtubes courtesy of John Morehead of the Evangelical Chapter of the Foundation for Religious Diplomacy on Facebook. They speak more eloquently than anything I can write that interfaith work is a good

posted 1:08:25pm Apr. 12, 2012 | read full post »

The controversy over Pink Slime - and what it means.
The controversy over pink slime is helping educate Americans to the fact that corporations are as beneficial to agriculture as they are to politics. Tom Laskawy put it pithily: “What pink slime represents is an open admission by the food industry that it is hard-pressed to produce meat that won’

posted 4:03:07pm Apr. 11, 2012 | read full post »

How the "war on religion' backfired into a war on women
Here  is a really good article by Tina DuPuy on how the Republicans got themselves into such a mess with America's more intelligent women.  Left undiscussed is how the extreme pathological masculinity of both their deity and their leaders made that slip so very easy.

posted 12:12:35pm Apr. 11, 2012 | read full post »