A Pagan's Blog

A Pagan's Blog

Pagans Aren’t Americans – Gingrich

posted by Gus diZerega

Newt  Gingrich, the thrice divorced defender of family values and Catholicism, warned “I am not a citizen of the world. I am a citizen of the United States because only in the United States does citizenship start with our creator.”  Which would be news to our Founders as well as to the Constitution, that gives rather different requirements.

Apparently from Newt’s perspective we Pagans are not Americans, for in his fatwa he warned Americans that they are surrounded by “Paganism.”

Mike Huckabee, who had earlier explained the relationship between our constitution and his theology:   “I believe it’s a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living god. And that’s what we need to do — to amend the Constitution so it’s in God’s standards rather than try to change God’s standards so it lines up with some contemporary view. . .”

That Pride and Power are Huckabee’s real deities was made clear when he criticized President Barack Obama for saying in Cairo, Egypt, last Thursday that one nation shouldn’t be exalted over another.

“The notion that we are just one of many among equals is nonsense,” this Servant of Sauron said.

These examples of moral and intellectual vacuity were supported by convicted felon, http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/walsh/summpros.htm   Oliver North.

Three old white geezers giving their race and gender a bad name, speaking to a crowd that gives its religion a bad name.

pagansister

posted June 7, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Poor Newt, surrounded by us “Pagans”. Guess he better pray really, really hard to whatever god (or goddess) he believes in. Oh that’s right, he is now a Catholic.(so I guess that is covered!) Newt certainly isn’t someone I’d look for for advice on ANYTHING, or whose words I’d believe.

pagansister

posted June 7, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Guess Newt doesn’t understand this country after all…Americans are allowed to believe or not believe as they choose. This is not a country run by religion…his or anyone elses. It is called “freedom”. If he would like to live in a country run by an official religion, there are many to chose from. But then in some of those countries, he wouldn’t be able to spout is nonsense without being arrested.

Opening the Discussion for response

posted June 7, 2009 at 9:52 pm

We at Witch School are discussing this as we feel a reply is needed. I do not believe for a second that Newt Gingrich in anyway acknowledging the religion Paganism, and using it in the same way he uses Socialist, Communist, Liberal, or any of the other terms to separate his base from the rest of us as Americans.

Gwyddion9

posted June 7, 2009 at 10:35 pm

I’m sorry but the man, imo, couldn’t find his backside with two hands, a flashlight and a map. As the article has already stated the obvious, Mr. Gingrich doesn’t have a stellar background and so for him to make comments about Paganism, it’s simply another one of the many thing he’s said that needs to be forgotten and taken with a grain of salt.

kenneth

posted June 7, 2009 at 10:59 pm

We have you surrounded, Bible-thumpers!

Belisama

posted June 7, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I’ve noticed Newt’s been in the news lately with increasing frequency. Every time I turn on CNN it’s like, “Oh, crap – not HIM again.” I don’t think he can stand it when the spotlight shifts away from him. I also think he’s positioning to run for president. He annoyed me before, but he sickens me now.

Cheryl

posted June 8, 2009 at 9:21 am

Just when I was convinced I couldn’t think any less of Gingrich, he spews more drivel. Really, does ANYONE take him and his traveling clown show seriously?
It’s worth checking out the link though; some of the comments below the article are pricelsss.

Kim

posted June 8, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I am amazed and amused (sadly) by the repeated ignorance in this country by the “religious” right/left/middle.
Where the idea the USA is a “christian” country comes from…. want to live in such a place? go to England. Their entire country shuts down for “religious” holidays… holydays, sorry. Here, in America, life goes on.
And considering my ancestors were NEVER christian, does that mean I am not American? wow. A million years in this land and I’m not a citizen. What a disappointment. Oh, but that’s right, the US “granted” us citizenship in our own land in 1929. :P

Thomas

posted June 8, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I lived in Newt’s district for a while.
He’s a political opportunist that’s taking the chance to pander to the right wing base. He’s no principles of his own.
I fear fringe violent types from the conservative side much more than I fear actual legislators. Amending the constitution, especially the bill of rights, would be a huge, nigh impossible, undertaking for the theocrats.
By comparison, convincing some Jesus-OD’ing nutball to drop by Starwood with a trunk full of automatic weapons doesn’t seem so hard.
Really scary.

Dee

posted June 8, 2009 at 3:25 pm

OMG…Kenneth you made me LOL!
I’m a very active and proud American PAGAN! I also actively protest for rights of others.
OMG! Seriously it’s 2009 these people need to get right with “Love thy neighborh” and stop trying to tell us how to live.

Lizz Clements

posted June 8, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I liked the Servant of Sauron bit.

Stormshadow

posted June 9, 2009 at 9:04 am

wow!
What I don’t understand is why they keep giving Newt the time of day, let alone a mic to keep spewing the venom we keep hearing!
The religious Reich.. i mean right is shrinking so quickly now- haven’t the repugs figured out that by continually pandering the ‘the base” they just keep alienating and driving away the mainstream, middle of the roaders?? eesh!

Cheryl

posted June 9, 2009 at 10:34 am

No, Stormshadow, they CAN’T figure that out. Best I can tell, the problem is that they see the direction our country is taking now as not only wrong, but evil. We’re moving further and further away from what they consider to be the right path for our country (and the whole freakin’ world as well) – one based upon their Bible, which they firmly believe is the one true word of the one true God. All of our Gods are simply demons trying to lead everyone astray. It is spiritual warfare, and only they are wise enough to understand that. All this “freedom of religion” and “tolerance” stuff is merely a tool of the Devil trying to drag the world down into the pit.
So they’re not going to give up easily, and will continue to fight because they honestly believe that they are fighting to save the “soul” of our country. They HAVE to change things – their God is going to punish us for moving away from all the shalls and shalt-nots don’t you know! You fool can’t you understand?? It’s time to pray and panic and run around in circles!!!!
I can almost pity them.

Obsidian

posted June 9, 2009 at 11:13 am

Here’s a great column by Tony Norman:
“Newt Gingrich Plays the Pagan Card”–

Cheryl

posted June 9, 2009 at 11:25 am

Thanks Obsidian, that is a terrific article and I hadn’t seen it before you pointed it out.

Obsidian

posted June 9, 2009 at 1:46 pm

To Cheryl and others who are interested…here’s another good link:

Cheryl

posted June 9, 2009 at 2:37 pm

That is an awesome link Obsidian. The “religious right” (who are neither in my view) would have a conniption reading that.

DRH

posted June 9, 2009 at 3:21 pm

You seem to be reading a lot into Gingrich’s comments; it’s extremely doubtful that he’s referring to “paganism” in the sense of your religion. Heck, most of your article is Huckabee filler.)

DRH

posted June 9, 2009 at 3:22 pm

“The “religious right” (who are neither in my view)”
Way to quote hoary old bumper stickers.
Sigh.

New Age Cowboy

posted June 9, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Gingrich and Republicans could just as well have a wheel they spin to determine who they’re gonna pick on this week. It could be pagans, humanists, gays, minorities, unions, etc.
They could get an idol statue of Jesus to roll him out whenever they feel the need.
For me, the real Jesus would have been hanging out with, not condemning, ‘pagans’ and other minority groups.
I’ve felt for a long time that reasonable Christians should be condemning the condemners. No such luck.
I just stopped professing publicly to be Christian.

Cheryl

posted June 9, 2009 at 5:01 pm

DRH, I’ve been maintaining that the “religious right are neither” since the Reagan administration. I contend that the bumper stickers are quoting ME!
Which is okay, as it’s an accurate phrase.

Thermal

posted June 9, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Astounding.
Even disregarding the fact that America was historically the first modern Nation to explicitly remove religion from its government, (“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.”), and that our founding fathers thought this so important that they made it the first sentence of the Bill of Rights, there is a bit of circular illogic in the Newt’s statements.
GINGRICH: “I am not a citizen of the world. I am a citizen of the United States because only in the United States does citizenship start with our creator.”
It sounds like he just said that, since American law clearly states that all us Pagans who were born here are citizens, whatever he regards as “our Creator” wants Pagans here.
As a Pagan with a lot of respect for the teachings of Jesus and little respect for the pseudochristian neofascists, I have a few questions for those who regard themselves as Christians.
If America is truly “Christian”, how do we explain all those people living under bridges?
When a fat majority of our politicians profess “Christianity” as their preferred faith, how do we explain them giving stunning fortunes to the moneylenders while dismantling companies which employ American workers, sending more workers to live under bridges and more American jobs to foreign dictatorships?
How do we explain the dismantling of pensions, so old folks go hungry while rich folks get richer?
How do we explain merciless government which supports and aggrandizes people whose wealth and power clearly have become psychotic?
Is it Christian to abandon the ones who actually create our wealth, and the weak, the sick, the hungry, and the old, while asking no charity of those whose wealth has grown from absurdity to mental illness?
Seems to me these bigmouthed blowhards are really closet Pagans, and their God is Mammon.
Wish we could find out where Newt and his buddies hide their golden calves. Maybe we could sell them and pay off some of the national debt they saddled us with.
Thermal

Snoozepossum

posted June 11, 2009 at 12:50 pm

I read this stuff, and my brain insists on a cartoon adaptation of Holy Grail . . .
(Peasant points at witch. “She turned me into a Newt!”)
But somehow the next line never seems to come . . .

Snoozepossum

posted June 11, 2009 at 12:56 pm

New Age Cowboy:
“I just stopped professing publicly to be Christian.”
A fellow hedgewitch buddy of mine uses the phrase “Followers of Christ” to differentiate from the scarier brand; feel free to implement at will!

Zip Zim

posted May 16, 2011 at 2:36 am

Long before us and long after we are gone many will wonder and question what happened back then? This question has been asked over and again in the history of all time. Beliefs are just that, not facts or known truth. It can never otherwise be. The dead don’t speak and the living do not know, for sure.
To find true purpose in ones life and acceptance in your pathway is one step towards truth. So many live distracted and lost lives. Involved in and just meddling in other people lives is their “life’s work”.
Sad that on both sides of the isle is this lack of respect for another persons true calling.
Can we allow others to pursue freely, without feeling the need to restrain their thoughts, for fear we are alone in our own thinking?
True freedom to me is being able to speak of my beliefs in the face of others and have confidence NOT to want to change them to my way of living. While not being afraid that they would want to change my path.
Popular culture is the real enemy. It is the true deceiver.
ZZ

MichèLe

posted May 24, 2011 at 5:53 am

what really saddens me about this “religious reich” is that it is no different than what unrest the middle east has had for millenniums upon millenniums of time, religion fighting religion fighting bureaucrats to control and govern the people to what they think is how it should be.

This is EXACTLY what the founding fathers of the USA DID NOT WANT!!! Our founding father’s of the USA are shifting back & forth in their graves cringing at what the politicians these days doing to our country with their zealousness for their godforsaken religiousness to think it was all based on a certain type of “God” belief…

I’ve read the bible and I want to know where the TRUE followers of Jesus are… because most of the Christians I know do not follow their “Lord” very well at all. Most cheat, lie, steal and kill and then say they do it all in the name of God, to protect their religion.

These are not TRUE Christians. Christians from all types of life, in all eras of life since Jesus days do not follow the true belief of Jesus, but of his disciples. I mean if you actually believe in Jesus, then you would ‘love your neighbor as you love yourself’, not love your neighbor only if they agree with you and are also Christian.

So, in reality where are the true Jesus followers? They just DO NOT EXIST… so this radical religious reich based on the so-called bible that has been interpreted thousands of times by different scholars to create different types of bibles for each different Christian religion, who also withdraw and keep out certain books that do not agree with their choice of power… they are no better than the psycho-Islamics who read the Koran to justify their means to kill thousands of people in developed nations.

More Blogs To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting A Pagans Blog. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: The Latest on Pagan and Earth-Based Religions Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:39:40am Jul. 06, 2012 | read full post »

Earth Day and the Sacredness of the Earth
I think Earth Day is a particularly important moment for contemplation and commitment by us Pagans.  Often American Christian critics accuse us of “pantheism,” and in a important respect they are right.  We do find the sacred, most of us, in the earth without reference to any transcendental sp

posted 11:57:03am Apr. 20, 2012 | read full post »

Instructive examples on why interfaith work is a good idea
I deeply believe the problems in our country are more of the heart than of the head. Here are some youtubes courtesy of John Morehead of the Evangelical Chapter of the Foundation for Religious Diplomacy on Facebook. They speak more eloquently than anything I can write that interfaith work is a good

posted 1:08:25pm Apr. 12, 2012 | read full post »

The controversy over Pink Slime - and what it means.
The controversy over pink slime is helping educate Americans to the fact that corporations are as beneficial to agriculture as they are to politics. Tom Laskawy put it pithily: “What pink slime represents is an open admission by the food industry that it is hard-pressed to produce meat that won’

posted 4:03:07pm Apr. 11, 2012 | read full post »

How the "war on religion' backfired into a war on women
Here  is a really good article by Tina DuPuy on how the Republicans got themselves into such a mess with America's more intelligent women.  Left undiscussed is how the extreme pathological masculinity of both their deity and their leaders made that slip so very easy.

posted 12:12:35pm Apr. 11, 2012 | read full post »