retaliation without violence

This forum has moved!
Same people, same great conversations, new location.
Please join us in the new Beliefnet Community.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

mookie
9/27/2001 10:54 AM
1 out of 80

In his Beliefnet article right after the disaster, David Gushee says, "Perhaps we can ask what a resistance beyond retaliation would look like." I'm very interested in this. We can convince ourselves that "these people only understand violence," etc. But as a purely practical matter, staying our hand might be the smartest tactic in a war that is essentially psychological. What would be the impact on bin Laden's profile around the world if we showed we could drag him into court and punish him while showing respect for those people and values he pretends to support?

MIDNIGHTSTARIAM
9/27/2001 6:45 PM
2 out of 80

Now this is the way I believe..hate begs hate and war beggets more war...the only logical way to react; would be with respect to others. after all the message that bin ladan is sending is the USA is violent..if we do anything; it should be make him a liar and drag him though the courts.it would cost less and no humans would have to die.

A9nthstar
9/27/2001 7:30 PM
3 out of 80

It's amazing to believe that Bin Ladin has been killing people for over ten years and the US has been staying its hand. He has killed Marines in Africa and who knows how many people the taliban has killed since its evil arrival. I don't have a grudge against any Muslim that practices Muslim but any person or group that uses GOD's name to kill anyone or anything is only doing the devils work and shaming themselves in front of GOD. We must stop Bin Ladin and the only way we are going to do it is to shame ourselves in front of GOD. He is the Talibans top showman and they will not give him up without "dying for the evil". We must do the evils work now so that another 6000 deaths don't occur next week or month. I say that we are doing evils work because GOD creates and evil destroys and we need to destroy Bin Ladin and all followers of evil. Muslims are not evil but Bin Ladin uses Muslims for his evil. He has hatred and guilt building in him and if it was in my power to get him to see the light I would but he won't even look to the light because it wouldn't help him create his evil

misserin
9/27/2001 8:03 PM
4 out of 80

ihave to agree with comment 2. if we rock back with the same violencce...what does that show? its like a child who steals the neighbors toy because the neighbor stole his. what does that teach? what happens when the child tells his father that the neighbor stole his toy? the father goes next door and gets the toy back and the punishment will fit the crime...we need to go to our Father and ask for Him to take care of this. making an example of bin laden and his disgusting theory of the world will help prevent more tradgedies from happening."ridding the world of evil" was a well spoken calming fear spoken to the american people...yet that is not up to us.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Advertisement

About Beliefnet

Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness. More about Beliefnet.

Legal

Copyright Beliefnet, Inc. and/or its licensors. All rights reserved. Use of this site is subject to Terms of Service and to our Privacy Policy. Constructed by Beliefnet.

Advertisement

DiggDeliciousNewsvineRedditStumbleTechnoratiFacebook