Rituals that help

This forum has moved!
Same people, same great conversations, new location.
Please join us in the new Beliefnet Community.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

BeliefnetCommunity
9/20/2001 2:07 PM
1 out of 43

What rituals--by yourself, with your family, in a house of worship, or in your community--have helped you deal with the terrorism crisis?

NeuroMan
9/20/2001 4:33 PM
2 out of 43

Not only for coping with pain coming from those horrible facts, but also to any situation that comes to get me away from my emotional stability, I just close my eyes wherever I may be and say to myself, 'I have transformed myself'. That came from a TV show, but it has been very useful for me in my process towards Nirvana.

HappyJoyousandFree
9/20/2001 4:36 PM
3 out of 43

I think what has helped me most is just being...I live alone...well I live with my cat, and being able to just sit and be quiet and be with him has been helpful.

Also, in the evenings I light a candle and get quiet, I allow myself to feel what I am feeling...anger, saddness, sorrow, fear, what ever I am feeling, I allow it to come to the surface...then I let them (feelings) go, I release them into the Universe to be cleansed by the Light and returned to Mother Earth for the good of all. I feel the Love and Light deep inside of my being...and I allow that to come to the surface, I let that go, and share it with the world. I see, in my mind, the world enveloped in the loving white light of the Highest Power...

Reading all the wisdom in these discussion boards also helps me...

Watching the leaves change colors, helps me...

Watching the Bald Eagle and Red Tail Hawks soar, helps me...

Noticing the butterflies fluttering about, helps me...

Knowing that we are UNITED helps me...

Knowing, deep within my soul, that there is a Higher Power, helps me...

kwinters
9/20/2001 11:07 PM
4 out of 43

Our Buddhist Center had a puja, prayers is another way of saying it, that focused Avaloketishvara, the manifestation of the compassion of all the Buddhas.

We recited prayers, and then spend 15 minutes in silent meditation just contemplating and cultivating compassion. We concluded by listening to the dedication:

Prayer and Dedication to those affected by the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington, DC

We dedicate the merit from this puja to all beings experiencing suffering in samsara. In particular, we pray for all those who lost their lives in the tragedy in Washington and New York. May they quickly be protected from fear and suffering and receive uninterrupted blessings from Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. May all of the families who have lost loved ones quickly find peace and comfort. We also pray for all the heroes and heroines currently offering assistance and help to those in need. We make special dedications for our world leaders to find wisdom and compassion. Through the power of our prayers, virtue, and dedications, may all people of the world be free from anger and attachment and abide unceasingly in equanimity and peace. Through the blessings of Buddha Avalokiteshvara, may everyone develop the ultimate good heart of a bodhisattva and attain Buddhahood for the benefit of all.

- Gen Kelsang Drubwang
(delivered on Wednesday, September 12, 2001)

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Advertisement

About Beliefnet

Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness. More about Beliefnet.

Legal

Copyright Beliefnet, Inc. and/or its licensors. All rights reserved. Use of this site is subject to Terms of Service and to our Privacy Policy. Constructed by Beliefnet.

Advertisement

DiggDeliciousNewsvineRedditStumbleTechnoratiFacebook