Today's terrorist attacks
Beliefnet welcomes Friends (Quakers) to this discussion forum! All critiques must be directed to Quaker Issues. Attempts, no matter how courteous, to convert anyone to a different religious belief are not appropriate here.
Your host: faithbeliever_81
<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Psalm69
9/11/2001 2:01 PM
1 out of 110

As you all know, this morning 2 hijacked planes crashed into both towers of the World's Trade Center and another hijacked plane crashed into part of the Pentagon. I hope you all join me in keeping the families of the victims and the nation in prayer.

Does anyone know any good organizations or charities to help pick up the pieces of this tragedy?

RichardB
9/11/2001 2:48 PM
2 out of 110

Let each of us try to listen to what the Inner Teacher is telling us at this moment. His words may be hard to hear in the midst of our very human reactions. Listen for that voice which is not your own.

friendlyspiritcom
9/11/2001 5:28 PM
3 out of 110

A day of horror, this is proving to be a time to discuss beliefs with others who are feeling that war or revenge is the only response to this event. In addition to having to explain non-violent or pacifism, I am having to decide whether or not to respond to some who are too fearful/sorrowful/angry to listen. My daughter-in-law to be is a Turkish Muslim, and I am more aware than perhaps I would've been on comments I've seen/heard about "all Muslims" and "anyone" from the Middle East. This perhaps is a time to reflect on myown beliefs, and to listen, question, respond sometimes to others.

I'd be interested in help from other Friends for responses that do not sound passive, but pacifist. Is it possible that this horrible event can help Israel/Pakistan stop blowing up each other's children and find another way?

jmg7777
9/12/2001 1:34 AM
4 out of 110

I am glad to be reminded of several things in the previous posts.
To pray for the many victims and their mourning families; and to pray for the many more that survived, but were injured and/or traumatized.
To remember that if indeed extremist Muslims were involved with this horrible act that the vast majority of Muslims condemn such violence (and I'm sure there were Muslim-Americans amongst the victims and those who risked and even gave their lives in the rescue efforts). I always remind myself that the vast majority of us, no matter our skin color, religious beliefs, politics, class, etc. want and desire peace for ourselves and our loved ones.
And to wait upon the Inner Guide for a different response than my "natural reaction" of wanting our government to retaliate in kind.
I know that Jesus taught us to love and pray for our enemies, but at this point I find that incomprehensible to do. But, I also know that this is like a Seed in my heart and I wait for that to grow so that I may be more like as Christ lived and taught.
Joe

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Advertisement

About Beliefnet

Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness. More about Beliefnet.

Legal

Copyright Beliefnet, Inc. and/or its licensors. All rights reserved. Use of this site is subject to Terms of Service and to our Privacy Policy. Constructed by Beliefnet.

Advertisement

DiggDeliciousNewsvineRedditStumbleTechnoratiFacebook