Minister Haggard

This forum has moved!
Same people, same great conversations, new location.
Please join us in the new Beliefnet Community.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Daldianus
11/3/2006 3:48 AM
1 out of 307

Top Evangelist Rev. Ted Haggard Resigns Amid Allegations of Gay Affair

The leader of the 30 million-member National Association of Evangelicals, a vocal opponent of same-sex marriage, resigned Thursday after being accused of paying for sex with a man in monthly trysts over the past three years.

The Rev. Ted Haggard, a married father of five who has been called one of the most influential evangelical Christians in the nation, denied the allegations. His accuser refused to share with The Associated Press voice mails that he said backed up his claim.

If this is true, then it will eventually come out.

And it would prove my theory again that a lot, if not most, of those who are the most vocal opponents of gay rights are those that have gay urges themselves but won't admit them ...

arjun
11/3/2006 10:32 AM
2 out of 307

I think there is a good chance this person will turn out to be a big-time hypocrite.

Arjun

MMarcoe
11/3/2006 11:05 AM
3 out of 307

No big surprise to me. I'll bet plenty more of these "leaders" are going to get caught with their hands in the sausage jar.

As I have said before, homosexuality exposes one of the underpinnings of Christian fundamentalism: homosociality.

The fundamentalist churches are very keen on keeping men and women separate and keeping them in cerain roles. Granted, this has been breaking down over the past few decades (it was false to begin with), but there is still a wish to keep men and women separate in many ways.

Gays and lesbians cross the gender boundaries much more fluidly than heteros do, esp. fundamentalist heteros. This is one reason we heteros are uneasy around gay people.

All the hoopla that fundamentalists make about gays is just a way for them to deny that their homosociality is on a false foundation.

Brother_Yossarian
11/3/2006 11:14 AM
4 out of 307

Daldianus: And it would prove my theory again that a lot, if not most, of those who are the most vocal opponents of gay rights are those that have gay urges themselves but won't admit them ...

You're not the first to come up with this "theory". I heard the same thing years ago on a gay/lesbian board somewhere, and at first I said "What? No way!" But after thinking about it a long time, I think it's plausible. I don't know how you would ever study or confirm such a "theory", but I do concede it's plausible.

Now, in order to keep this on topic in the EC boards, I think we should discuss the Evangelical culture in light of these "revelations" that seem to come out at a fairly regular clip, about either Evangelical ministers or members of government who get caught with their hands in the cookie jar now and then. And, we should think about ways in which Evangelical beliefs might play into this.

On some other board I was discussing "closet unbelievers" with Printerlady. She mentioned that since she's "come out" as Jewish, several of her old church friends came and confided to her that they don't really believe all that Christian stuff. I think there's a correlation between that observation and this one, that Evangelical culture, which stifles dissent in numerous and quite subtle ways, contributes to these outbursts.

If and when you Evangelicals happen this way, I'd appreciate a rebuttal to that, if you disagree with me, that your culture is stifling and repressive to different opinions and lifestyles within the members of your own churches. I'm not talking about stifling us "free thinkers" or about trying to stifle dissent in the political arena like pro-life or pro-gay marriage, I'm talking about enforcing "orthodoxy" within your churches. Tell us your churches don't do that, if you don't think they do.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Advertisement

About Beliefnet

Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness. More about Beliefnet.

Legal

Copyright Beliefnet, Inc. and/or its licensors. All rights reserved. Use of this site is subject to Terms of Service and to our Privacy Policy. Constructed by Beliefnet.

Advertisement

DiggDeliciousNewsvineRedditStumbleTechnoratiFacebook