Psalm 23

This forum has moved!
Same people, same great conversations, new location.
Please join us in the new Beliefnet Community.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

beliefnet
10/16/2006 1:18 PM
1 out of 30

Psalm 23, begins with "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want" Share what Psalm 23 means to you.

miami-ted
10/16/2006 1:49 PM
2 out of 30

Dear B,
The psalm of David offers our heartfelt relience upon God for all of our needs.

In Christ, Ted.

metafunk
10/16/2006 5:24 PM
3 out of 30

For the Lord to be my shepard, I have need to know what it means to be his sheep. His sheep hear his voice, and a strangers voice, his sheep to not follow. Hearing and following the dictates of the inner shepard..causes me to lie down in green pastures. These green pastures are those spiritual feilds my soul can feed upon in Christ. Being led beside still waters, is to drink of his waters. "If any man be thristy, let him come to me and drink".

So I tend to see that the difference between 'eating' and 'drinking' could fall in line with what is termed in church history as 'cataphatic' or 'apophatic', basically meaning the difference between positive and negative theology. The western church went with the positive. Essentially meaning, the aquiring of the things of Christ through the reading (or eating) of scripture. Aquired learning in eating the word, much through head-knowledge. In the east, it could a turn more toward 'drinking', the negative side of theology, which basically had to do with the un-selfing of ourselves..things that have to do with surrendering.

Being led beside still waters, is learning to bring to rest the restlessness of our own minds, emotions and will. It is only in the drinking in of what the shephard has to offer as drink, that he can restore our souls.

Being led in paths of righteousness for his name's sake, for me..has to do with being conformed into the image of the Christ-like model. Righteousness, often purported as 'right-standing-with-God', goes a step further for me. It's implication is actually a return to true being, or original being. A being where spiritual-knowledge supercedes physical-knowledge.

Death is but a shadow in a valley. It is nothing to fear, although much easier said than done. The Lord has got your back between these transitional worlds of time and timelessness.

His rod and staff, they comfort me, implies instruction of his counsel and the nudging of his ways to keep me from falling into unforeseen pits.

Even in the presence of my enemies, the evil tendencies that are present with me; I am able to feast on secret delights of his prepared table. by his anointing of my head, my thoughts are preserved in the esteemed values of his salvation. This causes a spill-over that wells up from within those wells of salvation..my cup runs over.

There is no doubt his goodness and mercy are hound-dogging me down throughout my life..I think that's worth abiding in him who indwells me..forever.

something like that:)

ginnymo
10/23/2006 6:09 AM
4 out of 30

This has been one of my favorites for a long time. To me it's meaning is a song of comfort, no matter what I may be going through. If I follow him he will always be there for me; forever & ever, Amen.

Glory to the Highest state of unconditional love I have ever experienced.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Advertisement

About Beliefnet

Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness. More about Beliefnet.

Legal

Copyright Beliefnet, Inc. and/or its licensors. All rights reserved. Use of this site is subject to Terms of Service and to our Privacy Policy. Constructed by Beliefnet.

Advertisement

DiggDeliciousNewsvineRedditStumbleTechnoratiFacebook