Its sad but true.

This forum has moved!
Same people, same great conversations, new location.
Please join us in the new Beliefnet Community.

This is a read-only area.

jesusfreakgal
7/16/2003 11:14 PM
1 out of 2

I didn't know where else to post this. I recently learned of a Canadian case where a judge in Saskatchewan has ruled that a man who placed Bible verses about homosexuality in a newspaper ad was guilty of inciting hatred. The December 11, 2002 decision was in a response to an appeal by the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission over an ad that Hugh Owens placed in a Canadian newspaper. Owens was ordered to pay $1,500 to three homosexuals over the ad. The ads the man used contained the following bible passages: Romans 1, Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13, and 1 Corinthians 6:9-10. The court case is scary. Someone from the site in which I found this said (and I agree) that This is where our nation is headed if we do not fight against the passage of “hate crime” laws in the United States. The Bible will be declared “hate literature” and those who preach from it will be guilty of “hate crimes.” I personally am afraid that if cases like this occur again, non- christians may come to see those who preach from the bible as hypocrit, and non a true christian, for believing in something that is considered 'hateful.' Scary thought, isn't it? To read the full report/ article on the court case go to http://www.traditionalvalues.org/article.php?sid=743
JFG

drakkoby
7/17/2003 12:07 PM
2 out of 2

you forgot the part about the circle and the slash over the image of two men holding hands...

that smacks of no black people permitted in this restaurant, no smoking, no littering, etc

it was the graphic combined with the bible verses that promoted hate...

It is not a bad decision, it is a good curb on a bigot's misuse of the bible to arouse lynch mobs.

I am truly sorry that you hate other people so much you would protest for the right to declare that hate in public. May you have a good explanation for this when you meet your Maker.

This is a read-only area.

Advertisement

About Beliefnet

Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness. More about Beliefnet.

Legal

Copyright © Beliefnet, Inc. and/or its licensors. All rights reserved. Use of this site is subject to Terms of Service and to our Privacy Policy. Constructed by Beliefnet.

Advertisement

DiggDeliciousNewsvineRedditStumbleTechnoratiFacebook