Celtic Zodiac

This forum has moved!
Same people, same great conversations, new location.
Please join us in the new Beliefnet Community.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

glapsvidir
12/16/2002 12:11 AM
1 out of 21

Yeah, yeah, don't hurt me! Please!

I've been reading a lot about trees lately because my dad is a nurseryman who works with conifers and I really, really like trees. So I started reading about dryads - and where else to check up on some cool Greek mythology but the Internet, right?

And I learn that Dryads are apparently Celtic. This tree fixation of the ancient Celts (I'm reading really curious now, skeptical as heck) apparently manifested itself in:

"The Druids of the Celtic lands followed a 13 sign lunar calendar and zodiac. The lunar basis is culturally appropriate due to the matrilineal society of the Celtic people. The Druidic religion was derived from an awareness of the natural and supernatural energies of the tree spirits, otherwise known as Dryads."

I want to fire off a nasty email, but I stopped because I don't really know. This whole paragraph above rings as pure BS to me ... but I go elsewhere online and find that among pagan circles the "Celtic Zodiac" is alive and well.

Here are two sites -
http://www.ladytia.com/celt/zodiac.htm
http://www.taliesin.clara.net/zodiac.htm

Can anybody give me some reality with which to counteract what really, really smells like crap?

In much frith,
Glapsvidir

Aogán
12/16/2002 1:06 AM
2 out of 21

Diathan dhuit a glapsvider!

(Gods to-you)

Dryads aren't Celtic, they're Greek. That's one of those things that shallow-minded people think are Celtic as heck (Like the word "Fey"), but aren't Celtic at all and don't actually even have a Celtic counterpart (unless you just lump everything that's not human or god into one pile).

Celtic societies weren't, and aren't matrilineal, of course.

And last there is no such thing as a "Celtic Zodiac"... the first one was created by Robert Graves, who also gave us, err them [pagans] the Maiden-Mother-Crone and the tree-calender (that Ogam messed up thing, Ogam is ours, but our months tend to not [at all?] be named after months but rather wheather patterns or human activities), as far as I know.

Aogán
12/16/2002 1:17 AM
3 out of 21

On re-reading a bit...

The Druids of the Celtic lands followed a 13 sign lunar calendar and zodiac. The lunar basis is culturally appropriate due to the matrilineal society of the Celtic people.

Yes, we're not matrilineal of course, but if we were anything lunar would not be "culturally appropriate" as the moon is male and the sun is female. And all Druids would be from Celtic lands because they could not exist otherwise.

The Druidic religion was derived from an awareness of the natural and supernatural energies of the tree spirits, otherwise known as Dryads. Dryads also symbolized the female druidess's.

There is no such thing as "The Druidic Religion" anymore than there is Bishopry (thanks Cainnech, I think that was you who brought that one to us) or Rabbiry, Druids were preists and a part of a larger religion. The last sentence it just dopey, "Dryad" looks like "Druid" and it's somewhat femenine so some incredibly moronic people assumed some connection.

The Druids associated their zodiac with the sacred trees which these dryads were drawn from. Each Celtic Tree/zodiac sign is associated with a letter from the Celtic three alphabet, as well as an archetypal character, planet, flower and gemstone.

Blah blah blah, crap crap crap.

The second site is too large for me to waste my time on, but rest assured, it is all crap too.

glapsvidir
12/16/2002 12:36 PM
4 out of 21

Thank you so much! I've now banged out a really nasty (I'll tone it down before I send and sweet-coat it to get her to listen to me) email between what you've said and what I know.

I'm glad to have a name to pin it to. Robert Graves. Good!

In frith,
Glapsvidir

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Advertisement

About Beliefnet

Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness. More about Beliefnet.

Legal

Copyright © Beliefnet, Inc. and/or its licensors. All rights reserved. Use of this site is subject to Terms of Service and to our Privacy Policy. Constructed by Beliefnet.

Advertisement

DiggDeliciousNewsvineRedditStumbleTechnoratiFacebook