Islamic view on cremation

This forum has moved!
Same people, same great conversations, new location.
Please join us in the new Beliefnet Community.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

RaksSharqi
8/14/2002 5:44 PM
1 out of 7

Hello,

I am interested in converting to Islam but would like to the know the Islamic view on cremation as it is my intention to have my body cremated when I pass on.

Thanks.

iabrani
8/15/2002 9:40 AM
2 out of 7

First of all... I would like to know why and what would be the reason for you to choose to cremated your body after you pass away.

Ify
8/15/2002 2:31 PM
3 out of 7

Islam views cremation as a deviation from the norm. Allah has showed us from the very first death in the time of the Adam that burial as opposed to cremation is the proper and most fitting way to dipose of a body after death. Scholars generally agree that burial is best and all else prohibited except in a case of extreme harship or emergency which would necessitate something else. Interestingly enough, we were discussing just this same topic at the following:

First Burial

neesah
8/22/2002 11:01 AM
4 out of 7

As mentioned earlier, Allah (swt) gave the proper way for us to bury our dead with the example of the Raven. Allah is all knowing and if cremation (although it was not available to man at the time of Cain)was the proper way for burial Allah would have provided that as an example vice burial. So, if Allah gives the decree that is all that is required for not to cremate. Also, Prophet Adam (AS) was not embalmed as was stated earlier. The angels washed Prophet Adams body, wrapped and buried it. Embalming means using some form of perserative on the body, we Muslims to not perserve the body of the dead.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Advertisement

About Beliefnet

Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness. More about Beliefnet.

Legal

Copyright Beliefnet, Inc. and/or its licensors. All rights reserved. Use of this site is subject to Terms of Service and to our Privacy Policy. Constructed by Beliefnet.

Advertisement

DiggDeliciousNewsvineRedditStumbleTechnoratiFacebook