I like being Mormon

This forum has moved!
Same people, same great conversations, new location.
Please join us in the new Beliefnet Community.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Community
12/4/2000 8:32 PM
1 out of 89

Here's a chance to focus on the good stuff and tell others why you like your religion. What makes you happy about belonging to it? What fond memories or present-day experiences have enriched your life? Accentuate the positive and tell us "why I like being Mormon"!

Community
12/4/2000 9:14 PM
2 out of 89

And don't forget to visit the Mormonism discussion board!)

BrooklynChris
12/5/2000 12:57 PM
3 out of 89

While my affinity for being Mormon is deeply rooted in core Mormon beliefs such as the latter-day restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ, continuing revelation, open canon, and eternal progression (to name a few), I like being Mormon for some other, less theological reasons –

* Mormons are more than a group of diverse people who share a common faith. We are, A PEOPLE, seeking both personal and communal salvation and striving to build the Kingdom of God on earth.

* We are a church of lay people, qualified to serve by nothing more than our willingness and our faithfulness. This presents tremendous challenges, some of them occasionally unfortunate, but it also presents unprecedented opportunities for growth and interaction with people we might otherwise never know.

* We value relationships – our individual relationships with God and the Savior, Joseph Smith’s relationship with God, the current Prophet’s relationship with God, and our relationships with each other, begun before this mortal existence, tried and sealed in this earthly sojourn, and glorified through the eternities.

Mormonism is more than my religion – it is also my identity. There are many other reasons why I like being Mormon, but these are my basics.

BrooklynChris
12/7/2000 1:26 PM
4 out of 89

At the risk of turning this into a monologue, I also wanted to mention how important music is to my Mormon experience. I'm not very good at it, but I love the feeling I get from singing with my fellow saints, and find a couple of LDS hymns to be particularly touching, including:

* Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
* Come, Come, Ye Saints
* The Spirit of God
* If You Could Hie to Kolob

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Advertisement

About Beliefnet

Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness. More about Beliefnet.

Legal

Copyright © Beliefnet, Inc. and/or its licensors. All rights reserved. Use of this site is subject to Terms of Service and to our Privacy Policy. Constructed by Beliefnet.

Advertisement

DiggDeliciousNewsvineRedditStumbleTechnoratiFacebook