HINDUISM & CHRISTIANITY

This forum has moved!
Same people, same great conversations, new location.
Please join us in the new Beliefnet Community.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

indrani
8/18/2000 11:36 AM
1 out of 86

A comparison between Hinduism and Christianity.

Deep
8/20/2000 3:03 PM
2 out of 86

1. The philosophy of Hinduism has remarkable similarities to the teachings of Jesus Christ, although they are in direct contradiction with Christianity.

2. There is considerable evidence in the bible, non-canonical sources, and islam to suggest that Jesus actually received his religious training in India till the age of 30.

Comments anyone?

indrani
9/3/2000 7:02 AM
3 out of 86

deep: namaste,

interesting questions, where in bible and hindu texts would you find such evidence? i am not disputing you, am only interested in your view of this theory. i do know in the puranas that it states jesus was in india studying and teaching, but how does that compare to the bible version ?

Actually to me it does not really matter, i see jesus as a great avatara and wonderful loving being who came to the part of world to assist when that society was in trouble, as do other great avataras who come to assist in times of need.
thank you for post,.......harihi om,.......indrani

Deep
9/4/2000 5:48 PM
4 out of 86

Several researchers are begining to surface with their evidence about Jesus in India. Holger Kersten is probably the best known for his book "Jesus lived in India" in which he presents evidence that is difficult to ignore.

The bible does not account for Jesus's life until the age of 30. Before then, it says that he went East somewhere. Also, the wise men (note: not 3 wise men but 3 gifts were given) that visited him (and probably trained him) were from the East. The garden of Adam and Eve was in the East, etc. etc.

Also, non-canonical sources show a stronger connection to Hinduism --the Gospel of Thomas "If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is within you and it is outside you. When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will understand that you are children of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you live in poverty, and you are the poverty."

I agree with you (and I think most Hindus would) that Jesus Christ was a necessary avatar to maintain the balance but I think that whether he received his training in India actually matters when Christian missionaries (I am not talking about all, but the extremists such as Southern Baptists, etc) try to convert other... the irony being that their faith may have originated from Hinduism or Buddhism... if and when they realize this, they may actually leave everyone else alone... and try to follow the REAL messages of Christ (Ahimsa, etc.)

Regards,
-Deep.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Advertisement

About Beliefnet

Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness. More about Beliefnet.

Legal

Copyright Beliefnet, Inc. and/or its licensors. All rights reserved. Use of this site is subject to Terms of Service and to our Privacy Policy. Constructed by Beliefnet.

Advertisement

DiggDeliciousNewsvineRedditStumbleTechnoratiFacebook