LEAVE IRAQ ALONE!
This is an archive of past discussions from the News & Society boards that have not been active recently, or have grown too large and have been honorably retired. They are preserved here as a record of this community’s history.
<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

gksaoh1
8/11/2002 1:40 PM
1 out of 431

It would be madness for our country to embark on an unprovoked war with Iraq.
1) World public opinion would be against us. We would be fighting without allies.
2) The Iraqi people would rally to defend their country. Far from being seen as saviors, Americans would be hated foreign imperalists.
3) War with Iraq would destablize Mid-Eastern governments. The Muslim masses would support their co-religionists. Individuals and small groups of terrorists would menace our national security.
4) The cost in money and human lives would be huge. We know from Viet Nam that a weak nation can defeat the strongest superpower. Victory is far from certain.
5)Resources spent on fighting would not be available for desirable purposes such as universal health care and international development
6) Restrictions on personal freedom, if a military necessity, could change our way of life.
7) Aftermath of war would be famine, disease and social anarchy. The burden of reconstruction would most certainly be the responsibility of American taxpayers.
8) Modern western culture would be threatened by a new dark ages.

raindog
8/11/2002 2:55 PM
2 out of 431

and i give you the essence of all the arguments you will hear opposing you gks:
What are you talking about? Have you forgotten that we are America? USA USA USA!!!

Éric
8/12/2002 3:58 PM
3 out of 431

1) World public opinion would be against us. We would be fighting without allies.

Been there, done that. So?

2) The Iraqi people would rally to defend their country. Far from being seen as saviors, Americans would be hated foreign imperalists.

Are you an Iraqi?

See, here's the thing...significant factions of their society are saying they *want* us to depose Saddam, and that they'd *help* us.

Individuals and small groups of terrorists would menace our national security.

Like they do now, you mean? What's the difference?

4) The cost in money and human lives would be huge.

Like last time we took on Iraq, you mean? :)

We know from Viet Nam that a weak nation can defeat the strongest superpower. Victory is far from certain.

I don't believe the cases are similar. We've already tangled with Iraq. They're far from strong, nor are they especially motivated. Last time we were there, the "elite" Republican Guard was surrendering to camera crews.

5)Resources spent on fighting would not be available for desirable purposes such as universal health care and international development

Those resources (if not more) will be just as unavailable if one of Saddam's sponsored terrorist groups nukes an American city.

6) Restrictions on personal freedom, if a military necessity, could change our way of life.

How do you see an assault on Iraq bringing these sorts of restrictions at home?

7) Aftermath of war would be famine, disease and social anarchy. The burden of reconstruction would most certainly be the responsibility of American taxpayers.

So we should leave him alone to do whatever he wants? Destroy Israel, bomb America, etc.?

8) Modern western culture would be threatened by a new dark ages.

I find it hard to believe that attacking or not attacking Iraq will either cause or prevent a societal collapse. :)

saltlakesteve
8/12/2002 5:46 PM
4 out of 431

Gksaoh1
Eric has answered your points, additionally I would say, the current myth is that the Islamic world and the Arab world are very strong. The fact is we are probably seeing them in their weakest state since the 19th century and perhaps the 8th century. The problems in the Arab world are not Western-induced. They are self-induced. Moreover, they are a result of a failure to adopt democracy - a preference for strong men, autocrats and religious fundamentalism. These things have ruined countries like Iran, Iraq, and Arabia. In addition, it explains why Israel, which has a fraction of the population of the Arab countries along the coast of northern Africa, has a larger economy and has more military power.

Another great myth is this idea that you cannot eliminate Islamic fundamentalism. I've heard people say, 'Well, if you were to kill them, they 'd come back.' I thought to myself, 'what were the four great scourges of the 20th century? Number one was German Nazi-ism. That lasted about 12 years and there is not any government body that openly adopts Nazi-ism. The Allied Powers destroyed it. Second was Italian Fascism. It no longer exists. Third was Japanese militarism, which no longer exists. Fourth was Soviet Communism. It lasted longer but it no longer exists.

Militarily, I think its going to change the way that Americans look at war. And I think its going to go back to the Western idea which we've always had since the Greeks. It's not a therapeutic idea but it's a tragic idea that war is not necessarily evil - it's evil only when evil people make war against you.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Advertisement

About Beliefnet

Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness. More about Beliefnet.

Legal

Copyright © Beliefnet, Inc. and/or its licensors. All rights reserved. Use of this site is subject to Terms of Service and to our Privacy Policy. Constructed by Beliefnet.

Advertisement

DiggDeliciousNewsvineRedditStumbleTechnoratiFacebook