Rumi

This forum has moved!
Same people, same great conversations, new location.
Please join us in the new Beliefnet Community.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

msmuslimah
12/31/2003 2:17 AM
1 out of 17

Can someone please explain to me the role of Rumi's poems in Sufism? I am a bit confused on the significance of his poetry in terms of Sufism. Many of his poems are love poems, so I am not exactly sure of how he is an important Sufi figure (if that is the right term to use). I would appreciate if someone could explain this.
Thanks!

Zero-Equals-Infinity
12/31/2003 7:13 PM
2 out of 17

Rumi uses the analogy of human love to express the relationship between Allah (The Beloved) and those (lovers) who are drawn to Allah.

geocorona
1/2/2004 9:24 AM
3 out of 17

Opinions on Rumi vary from being a great artist to being a great spiritual leader. Most consider him both, but probably heavier on the artist scale.

Zero-Equals-Infinity
1/11/2004 12:50 AM
4 out of 17

Rumi teaches, but can "i" experience that teaching? If "i" am, the lesson goes unlearned. When the chickpea absorbs the flavour of the broth into which it is immersed, when the ruby held up to the sun cannot be seen, then the lesson is realised. To go here, involves a lot of suffering, as who amongst us willingly gets drowned in boiling broth, (like the chickpea?)

Words are cheap: Will you surrender yourself now to Allah as Allah? Will you die now, surrendering perfectly? It is a lot to ask. It is like being told: "I can end your suffering, but to do so you must die."

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Advertisement

About Beliefnet

Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness. More about Beliefnet.

Legal

Copyright Beliefnet, Inc. and/or its licensors. All rights reserved. Use of this site is subject to Terms of Service and to our Privacy Policy. Constructed by Beliefnet.

Advertisement

DiggDeliciousNewsvineRedditStumbleTechnoratiFacebook