Patron Saint Named for Nuclear Bombers

This forum has moved!
Same people, same great conversations, new location.
Please join us in the new Beliefnet Community.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

ML52779
9/27/2005 9:55 AM
1 out of 7

Historic Russian Admiral Named Patron Saint of Nuclear Bombers

Okay, isn't this the church endorsing war? Also, what if those nuclear bombs are pointed in the direction of Americans? Will the Orthodox faithful in America be spared? Somebody please clarify this for me!

~M

Kerygma
9/27/2005 4:40 PM
2 out of 7

It almost defies explanation, Maureen. I don't really know what to think.

On a side note: I just completed a book by Bryan Moynahan on Rasputin. In the book the Romanovs were thoroughly examined and the resultant picture was not a very flattering one, believe me. Now... the above article which you provided, reminded me of the canonization of St Serphim of Sarov which may serve as somewhat of an explanation for the thought processes behind canonizing. I won't give you the Moynahan information (just too long) but instead provide this from yet another book I'm currently reading.

Alexandra was desperate to produce a male heir to the throne (for a variety of reasons that I won't go into right now). She turned to Seraphim of Sarov who had died in 1833 after living for years in the Sarov wilderness as a local apocalyptic seer. Despite his failing some of the usual tests of sainthood - his corpse had apparently badly decomposed - Alexandra bulldozed his canonization through the Orthodox Church with the argument that "everything is within the Tsar's power, even to the making of saints." In the summer of 1903 she led the entire imperial family on a pilgrimage to Seraphim's retreat, where she bathed naked in a pool by moonlight, praying to the saint for a son. A year later she conceived, sealing forever her belief in the mercy of God - and the mysterious methods of God.

~~ this was taken from Tsar: the Lost World of Nicholas and Alexandra by Peter Kurth

donkeyhotay
9/27/2005 7:04 PM
3 out of 7

While it does seem pretty strange for there to be a patron saint of a nuclear bomber force, there are two things we might keep in mind:

First, the decision to use nuclear weapons does not rest with the men in these squadrons.

Secondly, there are many dangers associated with the day to day flying and maintenance operations that have nothing to do with nuclear weapons.

Kerygma
9/27/2005 11:45 PM
4 out of 7

True. But this line also bothered me: “His strong faith helped Saint Fyodor Ushakov in all his battles,” he said, adding that the admiral had never lost any battle.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Advertisement

About Beliefnet

Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness. More about Beliefnet.

Legal

Copyright © Beliefnet, Inc. and/or its licensors. All rights reserved. Use of this site is subject to Terms of Service and to our Privacy Policy. Constructed by Beliefnet.

Advertisement

DiggDeliciousNewsvineRedditStumbleTechnoratiFacebook