Spirit guides: demons all?

This forum has moved!
Same people, same great conversations, new location.
Please join us in the new Beliefnet Community.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Theo_Logian
1/22/2005 5:06 AM
1 out of 136

I have been moving to this conclusion.
Here are some factors to consider:

1.Some, are minor demons, perhaps, and therefore not quite so nasty as other ones but because of that able to be even more subtle and deceptive.

2. What is the purpose of becoming relaint on someone else? In a real life situation between two people and a kind of Svengali relationship emerges, how often is this positive? The word "never" springs to mind. So why would it be different in the so called spirit world?
"Just do as I say and trust me and at will come out right in the end?"

3. I experienced that after spending years concentrating about this, devoloping clear communication with my spirit guide I found the net effect to be less self reliance. Difficulty making decisions, insecurity. At first it was nice having someone always there to help me but after a while I felt like I was being stifled as a person.

4. I think Sprit guides can take your eyes of God. Mediumship is not new it is an ancient practice and is mentioned in the Old testament.
I will look for the passage but basically it goes like this:

"Why seek the dead on behalf of the living? Should not a people seek their God?."

Theo_Logian
1/22/2005 5:20 AM
2 out of 136

Here is the specific passage I was thinking of:

19When they say to you, "(A)Consult the mediums and the spiritists who whisper and mutter," should not a people (B)consult their God? Should they (C)consult the dead on behalf of the living?

Here is a list of other passages that mention mediums and spriritists: Mediums

SquirleyWurley
1/23/2005 2:22 AM
3 out of 136

Well I wouldn't rush to say "all", I mean there are lots of experiences and things to know, and we don't know it all, you or I haven't been everywhere with everyone in everyone's mind.

Many religions assume that there are messengers that the Divine uses to communicate a message, and I'm not sure I'd want to assert that they are all demons, dogmatically. Gabriel was said to visit Mary before the birth of Jesus, and Gabriel was also said to visit Mohammed to dictate the Koran.

If all spirit guides are demons, then it would have made sense to tell Mary that when she insisted that Gabriel visited her about being pregnant with the Messiah, because he was guiding her, he was a spirit, he was claiming to be a messenger of God. Same with other prophets and their visions and experiences.

I think a lot of people would say there must be healthy and unhealthy ways to deal with communications or explorations with people, spirits, etc.

>>1.Some, are minor demons, perhaps, and therefore not quite so nasty as other ones but because of that able to be even more subtle and deceptive.

That could happen, yes, sometimes.

>>2. What is the purpose of becoming relaint on someone else? In a real life situation between two people and a kind of Svengali relationship emerges, how often is this positive? The word "never" springs to mind. So why would it be different in the so called spirit world?
"Just do as I say and trust me and at will come out right in the end?"

No good purpose to it, as you are describing it, I agree.

The way I handle spirits whether they claim to be guides or not, or whatever anyone thinks about them, is similar to the way I handle other people in my life.

They aren't the Divine itself, and they may not really be messengers of the Divine, and only me and my relationship with the Divine can possibly sort it out with integrity.

To hand over my spirituality to voices or intuitions completely, would be lopsided. My conscience, and my wrestling with spiritual issues in my mind, also comes into play. There is discernment.

That svengali relationship you describe is always a bad idea when dealing with the spirit world and psychic stuff, the way I see it. Whenever I see someone develop that kind of relationship I see it as a problem, a distortion, distraction from spirituality.

I respect those who explore visions and communication, etc., who know this and who consistently take pains to prevent this from happening.

But for some of the reasons you mention, I personally don't rely on guides the way some people do, and I put such communications as of much less importance than other spiritual values and concerns.

SquirleyWurley
1/23/2005 2:23 AM
4 out of 136

>> 3. I experienced that after spending years concentrating about this, devoloping clear communication with my spirit guide I found the net effect to be less self reliance. Difficulty making decisions, insecurity. At first it was nice having someone always there to help me but after a while I felt like I was being stifled as a person.

I noticed that with Tarot cards at a couple points, in the first couple years I used them. So what I did was I took a break, and then later when I picked them up I took a different attitude. After another break or on-again off-again use and forgetting about them for a while, eventually I focused a heck of a lot more on my spiritual meditation and prayer/contemplative life and philosophy and values. Then when I picked up Tarot, it was all subjected to my spirituality completely, and I didn't have problems with obsession, over-reliance, compulsion, but since then I've used them less and less.

Sometimes I do use them, just as sometimes I do talk to spirits. Neither are the Divine and niether replace my own spirit or my true self, and niether is primary guidance.

It is all just information that requires testing and some skeptical probing.

>> 4. "Why seek the dead on behalf of the living? Should not a people seek their God?."

True. At least when a prophet or visionary has a vision that they think is form an angel or guide sent by God, it isn't just consulting the dead in seances.

I have a big problem with seeking advice from the dead spirits, particularly the recently departed. Why not just seek God and if a messenger comes, weigh the messenger and the fruit of the message, by your spiritual insight and spiritual values, love and spiritual fruit?

Seances are sometimes said to require more safeguards to prevent problems, than other psychic explorations. Same with channeling, which involves certain safeguards.

Seances are on the entertainment side of things, which can generally be called distraction from spirituality.

----------

I think you do raise a challenge, because many people who've done psychic stuff for years have either ignored these concerns and entertained themselves or sunk into dependence and confusion...

BUT

Many have also learned to put spirituality first, the Divine first, and to recognize the symptoms you mention, as warning signs that something is not being done right, or out of balance, etc.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Advertisement

About Beliefnet

Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness. More about Beliefnet.

Legal

Copyright Beliefnet, Inc. and/or its licensors. All rights reserved. Use of this site is subject to Terms of Service and to our Privacy Policy. Constructed by Beliefnet.

Advertisement

DiggDeliciousNewsvineRedditStumbleTechnoratiFacebook