"The Emergent Church"

This forum has moved!
Same people, same great conversations, new location.
Please join us in the new Beliefnet Community.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

tawonda
3/7/2005 1:06 PM
1 out of 218

I keep running into this term, especially in blogland, but I have to admit that I can't quite put my finger on what "the emergent Church" looks like...if it's really some sort of radical reforming movement within the Church a la Bonhoeffer's "religionless Christianity," or just a new marketing "hook" to try and get the next generation interested in Christianity -- conservative evangelical Christianity with tats? (And I can't help noticing that most of the "emergent" folks I run into online are young white males...any diversity out there?) Or maybe it's both?

Can someone who is actually engaged in some manner with this movement give me a brief overview of what "emergent Church" means?

sparki777
3/7/2005 1:22 PM
2 out of 218

Tawonda, I hope you get a response from somebody who knows more than I do -- it will be interesting to hear what some "insiders" say about it.

IMHO, it looks like another marketing hook meant to appeal to those who have disenfranchised themselves from traditional expressions of Christianity and would rather be on the cutting edge of something new. Tough to do in a Church founded over 2,000 years ago by the Lord, but it doesn't stop people from trying.

--Sparki

tawonda
3/7/2005 1:29 PM
3 out of 218

Quite awhile ago I'd read an article about it in some secular newsmagazine, and it sounded like people disaffected with contemporary American Christianity -- both mainline and conservative evangelicalism, who were rediscovering the writings and practices of the early Church, revisiting sacramental theology, etc., and revisiting the practice of house churches and so forth. But that's not exactly what I'm picking up from reading their blogs.

TouchingHisCloak
3/7/2005 1:36 PM
4 out of 218

I believe that the Dec 2004 issue of Christianity Today did some articles on "emerging church". Go to their website and you will see an entire section devoted to it, both pro and con perspectives. You could also do a google search on Brian McLaren who is a pastor in Maryland and has written several books about this "conversation" (which is a term post-modern emergent types tend to use). If you don't get a good response on this board you might want to try going to a site called The Ooze and go to their message boards.

I'm still not sure what I think about it all. Hope you find your answers.

<Prev | Next>    First Page | Last Page  
This is a read-only area.

Advertisement

About Beliefnet

Our mission is to help people like you find, and walk, a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness. More about Beliefnet.

Legal

Copyright Beliefnet, Inc. and/or its licensors. All rights reserved. Use of this site is subject to Terms of Service and to our Privacy Policy. Constructed by Beliefnet.

Advertisement

DiggDeliciousNewsvineRedditStumbleTechnoratiFacebook