You are not alone. 21 million Americans suffer from depression and 2/3 of them are getting successful treatment for the disease. There's hope for the rest, as soon as they take the steps toward getting proper care.
Still, there isn't an easy solution. Here's 7 steps to help you get through depression:
1. Find a good doctor and get an accurate diagnosis. Health insurance covers depression, and there are free mental health clinics available for the uninsured.
2. Be patient, but be your own advocate when working with your doctor to find the right combination of meds needed to balance the brain's chemical disorder.
3. Be co-operative. Don't fight it. You are blessed to be living in the first time in history when new pharmaceuticals bring life-saving results.
4. Get to the root of deep-seeded emotional problems. Recognize the emotional baggage you carry, and let it go. Refuse to let old hurt get in the way of your recovery.
5. Surround yourself with positive people, and a strong faith-based community. Give first, and you will get the support you need to get over your depression.
6. Pray for an end to darkness. Reach for the light of mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual wellness through prayer.
7. Appreciate God's goodness. Stay strong in your faith, and grateful for the opportunity to overcome your illness.
More From Beliefnet»