Christmas tree branches fascinate pets, who'll chew on them - and whatever is hanging from them. Place small, breakable ornaments up high, and keep tinsel and garland out of your pet's reach, because these can lodge in his throat and become a choking or intestinal blockage hazard.
If you have a real tree, make sure it has plenty of water to prevent it from drying out and losing needles. Vacuum often because pine needles can puncture holes in your animal’s intestines if eaten, and they are also toxic to cats. Also make sure your pet can’t drink from the tree stand. The water may contain toxic chemicals (fertilizers, insecticides and flame retardants) that were used on the tree.