The Seven Kwanzaa Principles
Light the kinara and honor the seven principles of Kwanzaa.
Reprinted with permission of Maulana Karenga.
To strive for and maintain unity in the family, community, nation and race.
To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves and speak for ourselves.
3.Ujima (collective work and responsibility):
To build and maintain our community together and make our brother's and sister's problems our problems and to solve them together.
4.Ujamaa (cooperative economics):
To build and maintain our own stores, shops and other businesses and to profit from them together.
To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.
To do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it.
To believe with all our heart in our people, our parents, our teachers, our leaders and the righteousness and victory of our struggle.
Dr. Maulana Karenga is creator of Kwanzaa and the Nguzo Saba; professor and chair of the Department of Black Studies at California State University, Long Beach; chair of The Organization Us and the National Association of Kawaida Organizations (NAKO); author of the definitive book on Kwanzaa titled Kwanzaa, A Celebration of Family, Community and Culture. For current information on Kwanzaa see: www.OfficialKwanzaaWebsite.org and for information on The Organization Us see: www.Us-Organization.org.
- What Is Kwanzaa?
- The 7 Days of Kwanzaa
- How to Celebrate Kwanzaa
- Kwanzaa and the Church
- The Message and Meaning of Kwanzaa: Bringing Good Into the World
- Kwanzaa Observances Should Reflect Sacred Life, Priest Says
- Kwanzaa: Cultural or Religious?
- Can We Save Kwanzaa?
- In His Own Words: An Interview with Maulana Karenga
- The Kwanzaa Karamu
- Dr. James Dobson and Son Inspire Families to Leave a Powerful Legacy in Updated Parenting Film Series
- 10 Things Kids Need To Hear More
- What to Ask Yourself Before Getting a Dog Together
- Should You Try Again After An Affair?
- 5 Things Newlyweds Never See Coming
- 9 Qualities of Real Friends
- Understanding the Game of Couponing