How To Have A Good Mourning
When we’ve experienced a traumatic event, grief is what we feel. Mourning is what we do about it. It is the action side of grief, the externalizing of our internal pain. And Jesus Christ – who knows everything – says that when we do it we are blessed and will be comforted. Here are a few principles to keep in mind as you work out your grief through mourning.
• Remember Where God Is: The Lord is near to the brokenhearted And saves those who are crushed in spirit. - Psalm 32:18
• Remember the past and remain optimistic: How hopeless the naked wood of a fruit tree would look to us in February if we had never seen the marvel of springtime. - Lilias Trotter
• Aim steadily at faith’s target and know what you have faith in: The real hope is not in something we think we can do, but in God, who is making something good out of it in some way we cannot see. - Thomas Merton
• Don’t try to be the lone ranger: Grievers cannot extricate themselves from their cistern called grief. They need a rope. Grievers need someone on the other end to pull. But they really need individuals to pad the ropes - not with pat answers or spiritual cliches or even Scripture promises but with hope. - Dr. Harold Ivan Smith
• Do something with your anger: In your anger do not sin. - Ephesians 4:26
• Go with the flow (of tears): My soul weeps because of grief; stengthen me according to Your word. - Psalm 119:28
• Keep a grief journal: To journal is to heal. This may be the biggest favor you do for yourself. - Chaplain Ray
• Write a lament: My God, my God, why have You abandoned me? Why are You so far away when I groan for help? Every day I call to You, my God, but You do not answer. Every night You hear my voice, but I find no relief. -King David (Psalm 22:1, 2)
9 Qualities of Real FriendsWhat are the qualities of real friends? Read nine characteristics of what a...
10 Things Every Wife Wants To HearWomen not only want to be loved, they especially long to be cherished by their...
10 Things Every Husband Wants To HearThe universal love language for men is respect. Husbands yearn to feel esteemed,...
What Smart Dads Know about DaughtersIn our culture today, it’s absolutely critical for this dad/daughter relationship...