Archangels in Religion
Find out which major faiths mention archangels in their religious texts.
BY: Compiled by Sherry Huang
- Listed as one of four angels along with Gabriel, Michael, and Uriel (Enoch 9:1).
- One of seven archangels named with their delegated tasks (Enoch 20).
- Instructed by God to bind Azazel, an angel of darkness, by the hand and foot (Enoch 10:5-7).
- Explains to Enoch the purpose of four hollow places, where the souls of the dead dwell before Judgment Day (Enoch 22:3-24).
- In the Book of Tobit Raphael takes the human form of Azarias and serves as a guide for Tobias, the son of Tobit, on his journey to collect money his father left in the city of Media.
- He also taught Tobias how to heal his father of temporary blindness and how to free a young woman, whom he marries, from a demon.
- Announced he was one of the "seven holy angels who present prayers of the saints" before God (Book of Tobit 12:15).
- Listed as one of four angels along with Gabriel, Michael, and Raphael (Enoch 9:1).
- One of seven archangels with their delegated tasks (Enoch 20).
- Instructed by God to warn Noah about the Great Flood and how to prepare for it (Enoch 10:1-3).
- Acted as a guide to Enoch and as an instructor about the cosmos (Enoch 21:5-10).
- Reveals the judgment that will face the angels that have fallen from God (Enoch 19:1-3).
- Explained God's seven visions to the prophet Ezra (2 Esdras).