Archangels in Religion
Find out which major faiths mention archangels in their religious texts.
Helped Daniel interpret his prophetic visions about the Messiah (Daniel 8:16-26; 9:21).
- Appeared to Zechariah to reveal his wife, Elizabeth, would give birth to John the Baptist. Also, made Zechariah mute when he didn't believe in the prophecy (Luke 1:11-20).
- Appeared to Mary to reveal she would give a virgin birth to Jesus (Luke 1:26-38).
- In the Hadith, he is known as the angel who revealed the Qur'an to the Prophet Muhammad. He also accompanied the Prophet on his journey from Mecca to Heaven to meet with Allah.
- In the Qur'an, he is mentioned as one of two angels that should be no one's enemy (Surah 2:97-98).
- Listed as one of four angels along with Gabriel, Michael, and Uriel (Enoch 9:1).
- One of seven archangels named with their delegated tasks (Enoch 20).
- Instructed by God to bind Azazel, an angel of darkness, by the hand and foot (Enoch 10:5-7).
- Explains to Enoch the purpose of four hollow places, where the souls of the dead dwell before Judgment Day (Enoch 22:3-24).
- In the Book of Tobit Raphael takes the human form of Azarias and serves as a guide for Tobias, the son of Tobit, on his journey to collect money his father left in the city of Media.
- He also taught Tobias how to heal his father of temporary blindness and how to free a young woman, whom he marries, from a demon.
- Announced he was one of the "seven holy angels who present prayers of the saints" before God (Book of Tobit 12:15).
Compiled by Sherry Huang