Uncommon Ways to Use Salt
If you think that salt is used only to season food, think again. There are literally hundreds of ways that salt can be used as a natural cleaning aid, kitchen helper, stain remover, and even for medical purposes!
BY: Jo Ann LeQuang
1. Gargling salt mixed with warm water can be a sore throat reliever
2. Salt mixed with baking soda whitens teeth, removes plaque, and promotes healthy gums
3. Breath can be freshened by mixing equal parts of salt and baking soda and used as a mouth wash
4. Aching feet can be relieved by soaking feet in warm salt water
5. Mosquito and chigger bites can be treated by soaking the affected area in saltwater and applying a mixture of lard or shortening and salt
6. If you are feeling fatigued, relax in a tub of water containing several handfuls of salt for at least ten minutes
7. Salt is good for exfoliation. After a bath or shower, massage dry salt over wet skin. The salt aids circulation and removes dead skin cells, promoting new growth
Salt has been used since ancient times to help preserve foods. Here are four updated tips for using salt in the kitchen.